- A look to the future tells us in no uncertain terms that our children will face a very different world in the coming years.
- It calls on educators and parents to focus on developing students who are self-directed, innately curious and have the knowledge and confidence to find their way in the world.
- At Whitby, we have taken this challenge head on and created an environment designed to develop rich minds.
- With our innovative integration of Montessori and International Baccalaureate, we ready students with the world skills they need to thrive in the 21st century.
- Every day we see in our school classrooms what international brain and education research has validated: that inquiry-based learning presented in a prepared and well-defined environment empowers children to become independent, confident and critical thinking adults.
- Whitby School is an independent, coeducational private day school for students ages 18 months through eighth grade located only 45 minutes from New York City in Greenwich CT.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
National Independent Private Schools Association
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||English as an Additional Language|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||480 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||49 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 18|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$23,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Verona Keating|
|Admissions Associate||Dina Lunder|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, TennisBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||27 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Architecture, Art, Band, Chess, Chorus, Creative writing, Dance, Drama, Engineering with LEGO, Golf, Hiking, Photography, Yoga|
Club or Organization:
3D Printing, Builders, iMovie Filmmaking, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Math Club, Minecraft, Model UN, Mother Tongue, Private music instruction, Robotics, Scratch, Theater
Arts and Music Programs:
- Whitby is a co-educational independent school for students age 18 months through grade 8, located on an idyllic 25-acre campus in Greenwich.
- Premier Montessori early childhood program nurtures a child's natural curiosity for learning at a very early age.
- With the world renowned International Baccalaureate Program, Whitby is an academically forward and challenging environment that inspires Lower and Middle School students to the highest levels of achievement.
- Whitby`s educational philosophy encourages students to engage in their own learning, discover meaningful connections across subjects and with the real world, and become fearless achievers.
- Our World Languages program introduces Spanish at age 18months and intensifies as our students progress, so that by Middle School graduation our students are speaking, reading and writing in Spanish. Language instruction in French and Chinese are also offered.
- Robust Athletics and Co-Curricular program built into the school day starting in 5th grade.
- Our curriculum also incorporates a visual and performing arts, interscholastic sports, health instruction; counselor support, community service and global citizenship activities, and international travel for older students.
- Comprehensive secondary school placement program focuses on best fit school selection, standardized test preparation and interview skills.
- The results are that two-thirds of students qualify for the prestigious John Hopkins Talent Search. Graduates find success in both acceptance rates and achievement at highly competitive secondary schools, with 90 percent accepted at their first choice of high school.
- Whitby families and faculty come from over 22 countries and speak more than 27 languages to foster cross-cultural learning. This motivated community of parents, students, faculty and staff are part of an internationally-aware culture that nurtures students to be responsible, global citizens.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Greenwich Grades: NS-12 | 1251 students
401 Old Church Rd
Greenwich, CT 06830
(203)863-5600 6.2 NS-12
- Stamford Grades: NS-8 | 137 students
1095 Riverbank Road
Stamford, CT 06903
(203)595-9500 3.5 NS-8
- Greens Farms Grades: PK-12 | 713 students
35 Beachside Avenue
Greens Farms, CT 06838
(203)256-7501 17.8 PK-12
- New Canaan Grades: 5-12 | 581 students
377 North Wilton Road
New Canaan, CT 06840
(203)801-4833 9.9 5-12
- Greenwich Grades: PK-12 | 1006 students
100 Maher Avenue
Greenwich, CT 06830
(203)625-5800 5.3 PK-12
My child has been attending Whitby for 6 years and is performing above grade level in the areas of reading, word analysis, and math. He recently took the SCAT test as a high number of children attending Whitby are in the John's Hopkins Center of Talent Youth program. If you want your child to "love learning" send them to Whitby. The tuition you spend goes into the education of your child, not fancy facilities nor the high expenses required for running a high school. Children graduating from Whitby go on to not only attend high level high schools but sit as the highest performers within the programs. If you talk with admission advisors at other schools, they all rave about the children they get from Whitby. The parents here have a strong view of education and accelerated learning.
- Posted by Parent - C.A.
Our daughter has had such an amazing experience at Whitby. The thoughtfulness of curriculum design for pre-K is evident and based on a really deep understanding of the skill and brain development. I love our engagement with the teachers, who offer us advice and techniques to reinforce at home that would not have occurred to me - things like storytelling without books to reinforce conceptual and abstract thinking. The multi-year classroom dynamic also creates a wonderful social opportunity for the young children to experience different roles - as a younger student, learning and following, and then as an older student, mentoring and building confidence. I think this really helps young children gain social flexibility and avoid being locked into a dynamic that can form too early. I think the individualized attention and academic tracking even from a very young age have been so helpful in building on early strengths and bolstering development areas. And the parent community is so welcoming - a diverse group of parents all focused on helping their children truly love learning.
- Posted by Parent - Hannah
My family has been at Whitby in the past two years. We have one child in Stepping Stones and another in the Primary program. We absolutely love the school. Our kids are so engaged in learning and that translates into curiosity at home, and an ability to connect concepts at such a young age. My kids literally run into school every morning and come home telling us about singing Mandarin songs while playing instruments, how they learned pointillism, how they did historical recreations of famous books, etc. The teachers are world-class and we really feel this is the best education for our children. We also love the parent community as they are so open with so much to do to connect with our kids' school.
- Posted by Parent - WhitbyMomGreenwich
Our family has been part of the Whitby School community for 9 years. We have a 6th grader, and a daughter who graduated last year and is now a freshman in high school. I could not more highly recommend the school. As an International Baccalaureate (IB) school it attracts families from many different countries, culturally making it wonderfully diverse. The IB curriculum and inquiry-based learning platform makes me wish I had been educated that way myself! I have also embraced the advantages of a school that finishes in 8th grade. It afforded my daughter the opportunity to reflect on her strengths and the things that she valued most in her education. The experience she gained in the application process, standardized testing, and interviews will make the college application process so much easier! She was also able to pick the high school that was the best fit for her. The transition has been seamless, as she found the perfect school and was more than adequately prepared educationally and socially. Thank-you Whitby, and your exceptionally caring faculty and staff! :
- Posted by Parent - Shirley
We have an eleven-year-old daughter and a two-year-old son. They both have a passion for learning and they both LOVE spending their days at Whitby. We are grateful to be members of Whitby's learning community, a place where children have a strong voice and everyone is working together to get better.
- Posted by Parent - Chris Ostrowski
I wish I had gone to Whitby!I love how the school lets the students be children ,each with a unique perspective by creating space for them to express themselves , giving value to their opinions,encouraging them to ask questions and helping them nuture independance through responsibility.The continued education of the staff and teachers (and indeed the parents too!)under the steady leadership of the Head makes for an exciting,caring and dynamic learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - JWVN
we are an expat family from Argentina. I have an 11, 7 and 4 yo children. I have been at Whitby for nearly a year now and I can say that it hasnt dissapointed me not even once. I am in love with the school. My three kids are thriving, learning whilst having fun, enjoying every minute they spend at school. Caring, motivating, stimulating, I wish all my 3 kids could spend as much time in this school as possible - no doubt its the best school they have attended.
- Posted by Parent - Eugenia
We are currently in our third year at Whitby and my children (pre-K and 1st grade) could not be happier. They love going to school! Their teachers over the years have nurtured them, each according to their individual needs and passions, and remain dear friends as they have moved on from year to year to other classrooms. The learning is fun, exciting and they are challenged to the best they can everyday. We as parents, could not be more pleased with our children's progress academically, socially and their love for their school community. We love it as well and have made dear friends for life. We are grateful that we found Whitby when we did and feel it is indeed a very special place.
- Posted by Parent - slep
Whitby is a unique school where everyone has a place. It's small enough that everyone knows one another, but not so small where students can't find their niche. My children have thrived there for the last four years. While a day off is welcome, they don't complain about school and they truly enjoy their friends, teachers, and their learning. The school is innovative, but still requires a lot within each "core" curriculum. The lower school is more nurturing and appropriately so; the Upper School moves children towards further independence and the expectations are appropriately higher in that way. Children have easy access to teachers and student/teacher relationships are forged and problem solving is encouraged via the student (before the parent). I feel this is very important as our kids need greater independence and the ability to take on challenges. That said, for the few "consults" I've wanted, I have never had an issue contacting a teacher and getting feedback. I feel proud that my children focus on the work in it's entirety and not just "I got an A or B on an assignment." I feel the school always focuses in on rubric that covers their aptitude in multiple ways. Your student's idea may be bold and unique, but they are also taught that they have to consider the rubric (criteria) for an assignment in order to achieve at a higher level. I feel there is a helpful mix of both group and individual assignments and an acceptance of diversity and individual thinking and learning styles. I also feel they have an excellent mix of computer relate assignments, written work, and many speaking opportunities and opportunities that interface with a variety of students and faculty. Our school campus is warm and inviting and I feel its size helps foster the overall sense of community. I'm so glad we chose Whitby!
- Posted by Parent - Whitby parent
We have had two children at Whitby from pre-k to 4th grade. We simply can not say enough about what an extraordinary school Whitby is. One of our children is a voracious learner who thrives with Whitby's practice of letting her continually advance. Our other child also loves the high volume learning, but needs more structure and support, and Whitby's great staff and teachers seamlessly offer that as well. Teaching is advancing as rapidly as everything else in our lives. We are so excited to be at a school where the leadership and teachers constantly study, learn and implement the best, proven teaching practices. All with tremendous love and care. This is an amazing place.
- Posted by Parent - Eddyr
Whitby has always been known for its preschool and early elementary years excellence, but it is, in recent years- with its integration of the International Baccalaureate program and the recent arrival of the new Head of School (one of the leading educators in the IB world) -becoming a leader in upper elementary and middle school education in the Greenwich area. Our son, now in third grade, has been at Whitby since preschool and has experienced not only the best in academic teaching (tailored to his specific need for exceptional challenge in the classroom), but his teachers also have provided for him a warm environment that has led to extraordinary social development. The athletics program has undergone a complete overhaul in recent years, and we have been able to watch exceptional athletic team performances over the last several weeks. Any family that values an outstanding and challenging academic curriculum, emphasis on teamwork both on and off the field, and an unsurpassed welcoming sense of community should consider Whitby. It is well worth the investment!
- Posted by Parent - monic