- A look to the future tells us in no uncertain terms that our children will face a very different world in the coming years.
- It calls on educators and parents to focus on developing students who are self-directed, innately curious and have the knowledge and confidence to find their way in the world.
- At Whitby, we have taken this challenge head on and created an environment designed to develop rich minds.
- With our innovative integration of Montessori and International Baccalaureate, we ready students with the world skills they need to thrive in the 21st century.
- Every day we see in our school classrooms what international brain and education research has validated: that inquiry-based learning presented in a prepared and well-defined environment empowers children to become independent, confident and critical thinking adults.
- Whitby School is an independent, coeducational private day school for students ages 18 months through eighth grade located only 45 minutes from New York City in Greenwich CT.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
National Independent Private Schools Association
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||English as an Additional Language|
|Total Students||432 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||86 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 18|
|Admissions Director||Nadia Meier|
|Admissions Associate||Megan Harris|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, TennisBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||27 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||3D Printing, Architecture, Art, Band, Builders, Chess, Chorus, Creative writing, Dance, Drama, Engineering with LEGO, Golf, Hiking, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Math Club, Minecraft, Model UN, Mother Tongue, Photography, Private music instruction, Robotics, Rock Band, Scratch, Theater, Yoga, iMovie Filmmaking 3D Printing, Architecture, Art, Band, Builders, Chess, Chorus, Dance, Drama, Golf, Hiking, Jewelry Making, Knitting, Math Club, Minecraft, Model UN, Mother Tongue, Photography, Robotics, Rock Band, Scratch, Theater, Yoga, Creative writing,
Engineering with LEGO,
Private music instruction,
- Whitby is a co-educational independent school for students age 18 months through grade 8, located on an idyllic 25-acre campus in Greenwich.
- Premier Montessori early childhood program nurtures a child's natural curiosity for learning at a very early age.
- With the world renowned International Baccalaureate Program, Whitby is an academically forward and challenging environment that inspires Lower and Middle School students to the highest levels of achievement.
- Whitby`s educational philosophy encourages students to engage in their own learning, discover meaningful connections across subjects and with the real world, and become fearless achievers.
- Our World Languages program introduces Spanish at age 18months and intensifies as our students progress, so that by Middle School graduation our students are speaking, reading and writing in Spanish. Language instruction in French and Chinese are also offered.
- Robust Athletics and Co-Curricular program built into the school day starting in 5th grade.
- Our curriculum also incorporates a visual and performing arts, interscholastic sports, health instruction; counselor support, community service and global citizenship activities, and international travel for older students.
- Comprehensive secondary school placement program focuses on best fit school selection, standardized test preparation and interview skills.
- The results are that two-thirds of students qualify for the prestigious John Hopkins Talent Search. Graduates find success in both acceptance rates and achievement at highly competitive secondary schools, with 90 percent accepted at their first choice of high school.
- Whitby families and faculty come from over 22 countries and speak more than 27 languages to foster cross-cultural learning. This motivated community of parents, students, faculty and staff are part of an internationally-aware culture that nurtures students to be responsible, global citizens.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
GreenwichGrades: PK-9 | 864 students
Po Box 623
Greenwich, CT 06836
Greens FarmsGrades: PK-12 | 657 students
35 Beachside Avenue
Greens Farms, CT 06838
StamfordGrades: PK-12 | 664 students
1450 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
New CanaanGrades: 5-12 | 550 students
377 North Wilton Road
New Canaan, CT 06840
StamfordGrades: NS-8 | 98 students
1095 Riverbank Road
Stamford, CT 06903
We have an eleven-year-old daughter and a two-year-old son. They both have a passion for learning and they both LOVE spending their days at Whitby. We are grateful to be members of Whitby's learning community, a place where children have a strong voice and everyone is working together to get better.
- Posted by Parent - Chris Ostrowski
I wish I had gone to Whitby!I love how the school lets the students be children ,each with a unique perspective by creating space for them to express themselves , giving value to their opinions,encouraging them to ask questions and helping them nuture independance through responsibility.The continued education of the staff and teachers (and indeed the parents too!)under the steady leadership of the Head makes for an exciting,caring and dynamic learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - JWVN
we are an expat family from Argentina. I have an 11, 7 and 4 yo children. I have been at Whitby for nearly a year now and I can say that it hasnt dissapointed me not even once. I am in love with the school. My three kids are thriving, learning whilst having fun, enjoying every minute they spend at school. Caring, motivating, stimulating, I wish all my 3 kids could spend as much time in this school as possible - no doubt its the best school they have attended.
- Posted by Parent - Eugenia
We are currently in our third year at Whitby and my children (pre-K and 1st grade) could not be happier. They love going to school! Their teachers over the years have nurtured them, each according to their individual needs and passions, and remain dear friends as they have moved on from year to year to other classrooms. The learning is fun, exciting and they are challenged to the best they can everyday. We as parents, could not be more pleased with our children's progress academically, socially and their love for their school community. We love it as well and have made dear friends for life. We are grateful that we found Whitby when we did and feel it is indeed a very special place.
- Posted by Parent - slep
Whitby is a unique school where everyone has a place. It's small enough that everyone knows one another, but not so small where students can't find their niche. My children have thrived there for the last four years. While a day off is welcome, they don't complain about school and they truly enjoy their friends, teachers, and their learning. The school is innovative, but still requires a lot within each "core" curriculum. The lower school is more nurturing and appropriately so; the Upper School moves children towards further independence and the expectations are appropriately higher in that way. Children have easy access to teachers and student/teacher relationships are forged and problem solving is encouraged via the student (before the parent). I feel this is very important as our kids need greater independence and the ability to take on challenges. That said, for the few "consults" I've wanted, I have never had an issue contacting a teacher and getting feedback. I feel proud that my children focus on the work in it's entirety and not just "I got an A or B on an assignment." I feel the school always focuses in on rubric that covers their aptitude in multiple ways. Your student's idea may be bold and unique, but they are also taught that they have to consider the rubric (criteria) for an assignment in order to achieve at a higher level. I feel there is a helpful mix of both group and individual assignments and an acceptance of diversity and individual thinking and learning styles. I also feel they have an excellent mix of computer relate assignments, written work, and many speaking opportunities and opportunities that interface with a variety of students and faculty. Our school campus is warm and inviting and I feel its size helps foster the overall sense of community. I'm so glad we chose Whitby!
- Posted by Parent - Whitby parent
We have had two children at Whitby from pre-k to 4th grade. We simply can not say enough about what an extraordinary school Whitby is. One of our children is a voracious learner who thrives with Whitby's practice of letting her continually advance. Our other child also loves the high volume learning, but needs more structure and support, and Whitby's great staff and teachers seamlessly offer that as well. Teaching is advancing as rapidly as everything else in our lives. We are so excited to be at a school where the leadership and teachers constantly study, learn and implement the best, proven teaching practices. All with tremendous love and care. This is an amazing place.
- Posted by Parent - Eddyr
Whitby has always been known for its preschool and early elementary years excellence, but it is, in recent years- with its integration of the International Baccalaureate program and the recent arrival of the new Head of School (one of the leading educators in the IB world) -becoming a leader in upper elementary and middle school education in the Greenwich area. Our son, now in third grade, has been at Whitby since preschool and has experienced not only the best in academic teaching (tailored to his specific need for exceptional challenge in the classroom), but his teachers also have provided for him a warm environment that has led to extraordinary social development. The athletics program has undergone a complete overhaul in recent years, and we have been able to watch exceptional athletic team performances over the last several weeks. Any family that values an outstanding and challenging academic curriculum, emphasis on teamwork both on and off the field, and an unsurpassed welcoming sense of community should consider Whitby. It is well worth the investment!
- Posted by Parent - monic