Woodside Priory School - The Priory
Tel: (650) 851-8223
Woodside Priory School - The Priory Photo #2 - We offer a professional, supportive and trusting environment where students are given skills to unlock their talents and encouraged to stretch themselves.
Woodside Priory School - The Priory Photo #3 - Our 50-acre environmentally friendly campus features a new state-of-the-art STREAM building, a new pool, and a new track.
Woodside Priory School - The Priory Photo #4 - Academic rigor is part of life at Priory. Our students graduate fully prepared to enter the most selective colleges and universities.
Woodside Priory School - The Priory Photo #5 - At Woodside Priory, we offer a competitive interscholastic athletic program. At the same time, we give every student the opportunity to participate.
Woodside Priory School - The Priory Photo #6 - Priory students put on two theater productions each year in Rothrock Performance Hall, a 400 seat proscenium theater with a large stage and state of the art lighting, sound and audience seating.
Woodside Priory School - The Priory Photo #7 - Our classes are intentionally small and last between an hour and an hour and fifteen minutes, allowing students and teachers to engage deeply in intellectual discourse, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
Woodside Priory School - The Priory Photo #8 - More than 30 club and activity choices are available to High School students. Clubs provide opportunities to discover passions, develop strengths, apply academic knowledge in a practical way, develop self-knowledge, and learn to make the choices necessary to manage a busy schedule independently.
Woodside Priory School - The Priory Photo #9 - The Priory values arts in education as an expression of one's own humanity and an aspect of understanding all humanity. In concert with academic studies, learning about and doing arts is part of fully developing students' intelligence and potential.
- Located within 40 minutes of San Francisco and 10 minutes from Stanford University, the Priory is a coeducational boarding and day school for grades 9 through 12 as well as a coeducational day school for grades 6 through 8.
- Situated on a 50-acre campus in the heart of Silicon Valley, Priory offers a 7:1 student/teacher ratio, a strong college and university preparatory curriculum, a vast performing arts program, and a competitive athletics program.The Priory strives to create a balanced experience for students where they can explore interests, develop passions, and discover meaningful activities.
- Everything we do revolves around our Mission to assist students in becoming lifelong learners and stewards who will productively serve the world in need of their gifts and our five Benedictine values of Community, Hospitality, Individuality, Integrity, and Spirituality. Priory students are challenged to develop their fullest potential in the classrooms, on the athletic fields, in the performing and visual arts, and in service to the greater community around them.
- Priory graduates go on to attend schools all across the country, including bigger schools such as Stanford, Harvard, Yale, UC Berkeley, and UCLA, as well as smaller colleges like Carleton, Oberlin, Santa Clara, and Whitman.
Woodside Priory School - The Priory places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||375 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||74 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||19 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, Human Geography, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Music Therory, Physics, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, Studio Art, U.S. Government and Politics, U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1380|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85%|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 7|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$50,650|
|Tuition Notes||Day tuition includes daily lunch. Additional fees include Student Store deposit of $600. Books are extra. For information regarding Boarding Program tuition and fees, visit our website.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$40,945|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||David Lazo, Director of Admissions & Financial Aid|
|Admissions Associate||Cherie Baylis|
|Endowment Size||$10 million|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water PoloBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||24 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Associated Student Body, Campus Ministry, Chamber Choir, Community Service Club, Concert Choir, Ecology/Sustainability Club, Improv Jam, International Club, Japanese Anime Club, Jazz Band, Literary Magazine, Lomography Club, National Honor Society, Open Art Studio, Orchestra, Prism, Robotics, Student Ambassadors, Tech Club, Technical Theater, Womentors, Woodworking, Yearbook|
Club or Organization:
Dedicated to Diversity
- Welcome to the Priory; the only Benedictine College Preparatory school in California! Many successful people remember a time in their teenage years when an inspiring teacher, an exciting class, or an unforgettable experience made a positive difference in their lives. We think students need many of these special moments. We have thought long and hard about how to create them. An outstanding faculty and a rigorous college prep curriculum are important. So is the Benedictine vision of a learning community where members support one another. An upbeat campus atmosphere and the broad co-curricular program also set the stage for a balanced educational adventure. With our roots in the 1,500-year-old tradition of Catholic Benedictine education, we do much more than providing an outstanding college preparatory education. We welcome young people into a community where they feel uniquely known and loved. Priory students feel free to take intellectual and creative risks, to discover their passions, and to grow in heart, mind, and soul.St. Benedict advised us to "listen with the ear of our hearts." As a community of educators, we continually reflect on our practices, seek out cutting-edge educational thinking, and embrace better ways to meet our students' needs. Firmly grounded in our core Benedictine values of individuality, community, integrity, hospitality, and spirituality, we face the changing demands of the 21st century with confidence and innovation. Even our campus reflects our values. Ancient redwood trees stand alongside a state-of-the-art Performing Arts Center. Our monks stroll along a trail past a vast array of solar panels. In cozy outdoor plazas, teachers and students laugh and talk together. Our values are timeless. Our community is real. Our vision is far-reaching. Come to see what the Priory Way is all about.
- The Priory Admissions process is available on our website.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Atherton Grades: 6-12 | 807 students
50 Valparaiso Ave
Atherton, CA 94027
(650) 330-2000 5.5 6-12
- Mountain View Grades: 9-12 | 1760 students
1885 Miramonte Ave
Mountain View, CA 94040
(650) 968-1213 7 9-12
- Pebble Beach Grades: 9-12
3152 Forest Lake Road
Pebble Beach, CA 93953
(831) 625-8300 56.7 9-12
- San Jose Grades: 9-12 | 1651 students
960 W Hedding St
San Jose, CA 95126
(408) 294-9224 16.2 9-12
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?