A Better Chance School/cal Autism Foundation
Tel: (510) 262-1500
California Autism Foundation's mission is to provide people with autism and other developmental disabilities the best possible opportunities for lifetime support, training and assistance in helping them reach their highest potential for independence, productivity and fulfillment.
Our community based education programs at A Better Chance School and ABC Camp provide 35 children with education and activities year round.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||California Association of Private Special Education Schools (CAPSES)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 2-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||78 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Paid by school districts|
|Admissions Director||Edith Molinier|
- ABC School is a non-public school that serves children and young adults from ages 6 to 22 that have autism and other developmental disabilities. ABC School offers community-based programming which provide students the opportunity to learn generalized skills that are transferable to daily real world settings in addition to the classroom environment. ABC School`s highly specialized curriculum and highly trained staff, excel in helping students who have been unable to succeed elsewhere. ABC School`s functional skills curriculum includes math, language arts, vocational training, culinary classes, art classes, music classes, travel training and self-help skills. ABC School utilizes Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), TEACCH structured teaching methodologies, Pivotal Response Training, and Community Based Instruction (CBI). ABC School specializes in behavior management, offering a positive behavior support approach to maladaptive behaviors that prevent the student from being successful in a less restricted environment. Utilizing a team approach, students are regularly assessed to determine skill acquisition and maintenance in accordance with the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) goals. ABC provides 1:2 staff to student support unless otherwise specified in a student`s IEP. Workability vocational training and transition preparation program for students 16 years of age and older is provided. In this comprehensive program, students are assessed to identify areas of strength and employable skills and then matched with an employment opportunity in the local community. Students receive training to include: mock interview trials, job application practice, mobility training with public transportation, budgeting and banking skills, problem solving, and safety skills within the work environment. Additionally, Students receive on the job training through staff assistance and job coaching and bi-weekly paychecks! Some of our current job partners are: Berkeley Repertory TheaterWest CATMaking Waves AcademyPets with Attitude Pet SalonThe Watershed ProjectPoint Isabel Regional Park Graduating students of ABC School receive a Certificate of Completion and will transition from school to adult life with confidence, work skills and community experiences that will promote future success.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Pablo Grades: K-12 | 37 students
16330 San Pablo Ave
San Pablo, CA 94806
(510) 724-4494 0.8 K-12
- El Cerrito Grades: PK-8 | 494 students
960 Avis Drive/2060 Tapscott Ave.
El Cerrito, CA 94530
(510) 809-9000 5 PK-8
- Berkeley Grades: 5
2855 Telegraph Ave. Suite 312
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 845-1321 9.8 5
- El Sobrante Grades: K-12 | 85 students
431 Rincon Rd
El Sobrante, CA 94803
(510) 223-9550 2 K-12
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.