Agia Sophia Academy
5.00 (3 reviews)
- Agia Sophia Academy educates the whole child by providing a rich academic and arts curriculum, grounded in Orthodox Christian values, while fostering love of learning, personal responsibility and respect for each person.
- Founded in 2003, we offer a wonderful Elementary Education program utilizing a research-proven blended classroom approach, as well as a Montessori Primary program for Preschoolers/Kindergarten students ages 3-6.
- Our core subjects include Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, History & Geography, Art, Music, and Physical Education, as well as Greek & Latin instruction.
- Our low student to teacher ratio allows for hands-on learning and academic excellence.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other Montessori association(s)|
|Religious Affiliation||Greek Orthodox|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||51 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Navy Dockers / Navy Skirt or Jumpers + Burgundy Polo Shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,400|
|Tuition Notes||Please see website for detailed tuition rates. Annual rates are $5800 for Montessori half day, $8500 for Montessori full day, $7400 for Elementary. Discounts also available for multi-student families and families of Orthodox Parishes.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,900|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Ranae Rice|
|Admissions Associate||Euphrosyne McKenzie|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Club, Chess Club, Dance Club, Drama Club, Kodaly Music Program Art Club, Chess Club, Dance Club, Drama Club, Kodaly Music Program,|
- Agia Sophia Academy is an Orthodox Christian school located in Beaverton, Oregon, across from the Nike campus on Walker Road.
- We offer a Montessori Primary program for Preschool/Kindergarten students ages 3-6. Montessori is a method of education developed by Dr. Maria Montessori in the early 1900s, founded on the scientific observation of children`s learning processes; teaching abstract concepts in a concrete way through the five senses. The Montessori curriculum is organized into seven main areas: practical life, sensorial, mathematics, language, science, history/geography and art. The materials are available to children on low shelves with each subject area found in a different part of the room. Each work is designed to be used by hand and absorbed by the mind, providing a strong kinesthetic approach to learning from which all children benefit. Children are usually presented "lessons" individually or in small groups to maximize their learning potential and teach to each child`s readiness. An additional benefit is that this affords an opportunity for the teacher and child to cultivate a strong relationship.
- We also offer a Multi-age Elementary Education Program for K - 5th Grades: In our Elementary classrooms the focus is on literacy, mathematics, science, history, geography, and faith. The students then have scheduled times in other rooms for music, art, languages studies, and physical education. Our elementary classrooms offer excellent academic resources and curriculum. The teachers focus on interest-based units, classroom centers, and individual attention for each child. Recently, in 2011, ASA added Executive Skills training school-wide and initiated a Daily 5 structure to the Literacy Block. All of these techniques have been proven to increase student interest in learning and help to create life long learners. In addition to the research that shows the positive academic effects of a multi-age room, studies also confirm that students benefit from the blended social structure with increased community awareness, teamwork, communication and better peer relationships. This holistic, creative approach will highlight and develop a lively social awareness through modeling, peer assisted learning and plenty of room for peer relationships in various settings.
- Faith curriculum: Students in the Montessori and Elementary programs are taught the Orthodox Christian faith both directly and indirectly. The curriculum follows the sequence of important Old Testament stories as well as the cyclical feasts of the church. Teachers provide a narrative focus, supplement with picture books, appropriate literature, activities, bible memory verses, and icons. Students participate in short prayer services every day as well as attending Liturgy once a month. Local clergy visit ASA each month and present a faith topic to the children. In addition to curriculum, children are presented with the opportunity to embrace faith and Christian life at ASA. Classroom teachers are Orthodox and integrate faith into the classroom; problem solving techniques, group dynamics and personal accountability all reflect moral teaching. (Note: While Agia Sophia Academy is an Orthodox Christian School, it does admit students from ALL faith backgrounds. Our student body consists of about 20% non-Orthodox students and 80% Orthodox students.)
- Love and Logic: The Love and Logic program by Jim Fay and Foster Cline has become the backbone of our discipline approach at ASA. It is not isolated from our core beliefs but rather fleshes it out in the way in which discipline issues are dealt. Children are approached with loving empathy, just as Christ does with us. Rather than focus on an action-consequence response to negative behavior, children are helped to see what they are not doing correctly, take responsibility for their behavior or lack of it, and plan out how they intend to improve themselves. Each child learns he or she is loved through patient guidance, toward becoming a responsible person who thrives when he or she solves the problem created. With our Love and Logic program, students develop age-appropriate responsibility, self-concept and demonstrate character development as they progress though the classes at Agia Sophia.
- Executive Skills Training: Social development, study skills, and personal responsibility are a big part of our life here at ASA. One of the ways we help children to develop in these areas is by incorporating the discussion and teaching of executive function skills into the classroom. "Executive function skills enable us to navigate through everyday life by helping us organize, plan, and mange life tasks. They are the skills necessary to execute task. Executive function skills can be defined as frontal lobe functioning responsible for higher-level cognitive abilities and cognitive control. (Cooper-Kahn & Dietzel, 2008)."
- Find out more information by visiting ASA in person!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BeavertonGrades: KG-12 | 24 students
Po Box 5280
Beaverton, OR 97006
- BanksGrades: PK-8 | 114 students
39085 Nw Harrington Road
Banks, OR 97106
- CorneliusGrades: NS-8 | 159 students
460 S. Heather St.
Cornelius, OR 97113
- BeavertonGrades: K-12 | 215 students
14605 SW Weir Road
Beaverton, OR 97007
- BeavertonGrades: PK-12 | 291 students
16860 Sw Blanton St
Beaverton, OR 97007
This is a wonderful Christian school located right across the street from the NIKE World Headquarters, under the same roof where St John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Christian church exists. Students don't have to be Greek to attend but they do learn many words from this core language of Science and Math. This is a rich learning environment with a loving, respectful, faith-based foundation; all of which I believe are critical for children during their earliest developmental years. I am blessed to have two children attending Agia Sohphia. Every family prioritizes their budget for certain things and may make some choices or sacrifices in doing so. We have chosen this school as a priority to invest in the development and education of our kids. If you are looking for Pre-school thru 5th grade schools, put Agia Sophia Academy at the top of your list and schedule a visit. The experience is exceptional!
- Posted by Parent - rober
We have two boys at ASA and we are very pleased with the well rounded curriculum our boys get to experience everyday. The teachers are amazing and they are very dedicated the children's success academically, socially and spiritually. The individualized attention our boys get is priceless and the community support is second to none. ASA is an amazing school!
- Posted by Parent - gkaad
If you have not yet considered & visited ASA, you really must. Small class sizes (approx 1:13) allow children to excel in their strengths & interests & to get the gentle encouragement & extra help when they need it by providing lots of individual attention. The PreK/K Montessori program is outstanding, teaching practical life skills, math, reading, science, & fostering a love & appreciation for beauty & desire for learning. These principles are enriched & carried through the successive grades by amazingly talented teachers. The small size blended Elementary classrooms allow children to develop strong leadership skills as well as allowing friendships across a broad age-range. On standardized tests, ASA student surpass the national average. Music and PE are provided 3 TIMES A WEEK. The comprehensive music program is taught using the Kolday method, teaching children in depth about music. PE is based on the Brain Dance program which develops both the brain and body in physical movement. Art is also an important component of the educational program at ASA, provided one afternoon a week to all grades. Children have foreign language twice a week: PreK-1st grade has Greek; 2nd-5th grade has both Greek and Latin. My children LOVE learning these languages and I am blown away at how easily they are able to speak and even read them at such a young age. They have recess twice a day. These small breaks really help the kids return to the classroom more focused. We absolutely LOVE ASA. It has been, and continues to be, an incredible experience for our whole family. I have no hesitation in sending our kids there or recommending that you send yours, too.
- Posted by Parent - minky
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.