Agia Sophia Academy
- Grades: Prekindergarten-5
- Students: 38 students
- Yearly Tuition: $8,715
- Acceptance rate: 90%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Mar. 1 / Sep. 1 / rolling
Academics and Faculty
(Navy Dockers / Navy Skirt or Jumpers + Burgundy Polo Shirts)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Agia Sophia Academy is an Orthodox Christian school located in Beaverton, Oregon, across from the Nike campus on Walker Road.
- We offer a Montessori Primary program for Preschool/Kindergarten students ages 3-6. Montessori is a method of education developed by Dr. Maria Montessori in the early 1900s, founded on the scientific observation of children`s learning processes; teaching abstract concepts in a concrete way through the five senses. The Montessori curriculum is organized into seven main areas: practical life, sensorial, mathematics, language, science, history/geography and art. The materials are available to children on low shelves with each subject area found in a different part of the room. Each work is designed to be used by hand and absorbed by the mind, providing a strong kinesthetic approach to learning from which all children benefit. Children are usually presented "lessons" individually or in small groups to maximize their learning potential and teach to each child`s readiness. An additional benefit is that this affords an opportunity for the teacher and child to cultivate a strong relationship.
- We also offer a Multi-age Elementary Education Program for 1st - 5th Grades: In our Elementary classrooms the focus is on literacy, mathematics, science, history, geography, and faith. The students then have scheduled times in other rooms for music, art, languages studies, and physical education. Our elementary classrooms offer excellent academic resources and curriculum. The teachers focus on interest-based units, classroom centers, and individual attention for each child. Recently, in 2011, ASA added Executive Skills training school-wide and initiated a Daily 5 structure to the Literacy Block. All of these techniques have been proven to increase student interest in learning and help to create life long learners. In addition to the research that shows the positive academic effects of a multi-age room, studies also confirm that students benefit from the blended social structure with increased community awareness, teamwork, communication and better peer relationships. This holistic, creative approach will highlight and develop a lively social awareness through modeling, peer assisted learning and plenty of room for peer relationships in various settings.
- Faith curriculum: Students in the Montessori and Elementary programs are taught the Orthodox Christian faith both directly and indirectly. The curriculum follows the sequence of important Old Testament stories as well as the cyclical feasts of the church. Teachers provide a narrative focus, supplement with picture books, appropriate literature, activities, bible memory verses, and icons. Students participate in short prayer services every day as well as attending Liturgy once a month. Local clergy visit ASA each month and present a faith topic to the children. In addition to curriculum, children are presented with the opportunity to embrace faith and Christian life at ASA. Classroom teachers are Orthodox and integrate faith into the classroom; problem solving techniques, group dynamics and personal accountability all reflect moral teaching. (Note: While Agia Sophia Academy is an Orthodox Christian School, it does admit students from ALL faith backgrounds. Our student body consists of about 20% non-Orthodox students and 80% Orthodox students.)
- Love and Logic: The Love and Logic program by Jim Fay and Foster Cline has become the backbone of our discipline approach at ASA. It is not isolated from our core beliefs but rather fleshes it out in the way in which discipline issues are dealt. Children are approached with loving empathy, just as Christ does with us. Rather than focus on an action-consequence response to negative behavior, children are helped to see what they are not doing correctly, take responsibility for their behavior or lack of it, and plan out how they intend to improve themselves. Each child learns he or she is loved through patient guidance, toward becoming a responsible person who thrives when he or she solves the problem created. With our Love and Logic program, students develop age-appropriate responsibility, self-concept and demonstrate character development as they progress though the classes at Agia Sophia.
- Executive Skills Training: Social development, study skills, and personal responsibility are a big part of our life here at ASA. One of the ways we help children to develop in these areas is by incorporating the discussion and teaching of executive function skills into the classroom. "Executive function skills enable us to navigate through everyday life by helping us organize, plan, and mange life tasks. They are the skills necessary to execute task. Executive function skills can be defined as frontal lobe functioning responsible for higher-level cognitive abilities and cognitive control. (Cooper-Kahn & Dietzel, 2008)."
- Find out more information by visiting ASA in person!
Endorse Agia Sophia Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards