Living Wisdom School
- Living Wisdom School serves children from preschool through 8th grade through the lens of Education for Life, a holistic educational model that seeks to bring out the best in each child through a balanced curriculum and a supportive, nurturing environment.
- Our philosophy is rooted in the teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda, the great Indian teacher who introduced yogic principles to America, and the seminal book, Education for Life, by J. Donald Walters, also known as Swami Kriyananda.
- We aim to bring universal spiritual principles into the daily lives of our students through direct experience and practical skills for living.
- Our focus isn`t on one specific teaching but rather the incorporation of what is meaningful and relevant in our shared experience; we value thoughts, actions and words that bring greater happiness, peace and harmony to ourselves and the world around us.
- Our school provides a remarkable educational experience for children in the Portland Metro area.
- We look at children and their potential to grow and learn always seeking to bring out their natural curiosity, creativity and strengths.
- Bright, curious and creative children show us possibilities for a better world.
- The success of our student- centered system is evident in the graduates of the program who are balanced, altruistic and clear in the knowledge of who they are and how they can serve in the world.
- They bring fresh solutions to local and global issues in compassionate ways.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||45 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- A safe, uplifting environment where a child`s natural curiosity is nurtured. Self-understanding and balanced growth: body, feeling, mind, will, and spirit.
- A sound academic program that gives students the foundation to thrive in almost any private or public school program.
- Individual attention, made possible through small classes of from six to twelve students.
- Universal values such as honesty, generosity, love, and living in harmony with each other, nature, and all of life.
- Consistent, gentle guidance to help children recognize for themselves which actions bring them happiness (such as kindness and generosity) and which actions make them feel diminished and unhappy (such as selfishness and bullying).
- Skills for living, including positive attitude, concentration, how to achieve one`s goals, how to control emotions, how to work in cooperation and collaboration, and how to be a friend.
Education for Life looks at traditional subjects through a holistic lens. Our main curriculum areas are: Personal Development, Self Expression and Communication, Understanding People, Cooperation, Our Earth/Our Universe, and Wholeness. Much of the instruction is thematic and uses the principle of Flow Learning. A typical day in our elementary class usually begins with a class circle time that may include yoga, inspiring stories, songs, energy balancing modalities, healing prayers, and class sharing. Our curriculum is student-centered, flexible and experiential.
Our elementary classrooms are multi-age, with a maximum of 12 students. Each class has a main teacher; supplemental teaching staff that adds to the educational experiences of our students. We provide instruction in Spanish or Sign language twice a week as well as weekly creative self-expression classes in art, music and dance. Physical education is provided with an emphasis on movement, fun, and individual fitness, rather than competitive sports, although the older students do play basketball, soccer, and other team games. Our elementary program also includes weekly visits in the fall and spring to the Ananda Center at Laurelwood campus in Gaston, OR. This experience provides the opportunity for children to learn outdoors in an expansive setting with nature as their classroom. Living Wisdom students go on to both public and private schools, and have not only the academic skills to succeed on their grade level, but the confidence and ability to communicate and cooperate with others that are essential for success.
Living Wisdom preschool and kindergarten classrooms provide a nurturing environment fostering imagination, creativity, discovery and a love of learning in these foundational early years. Our curriculum is child-centered, developing each child`s unique gifts, while also developing the important life skills of compassion, curiosity, and cooperation. Class sizes are kept small with a maximum of 7 students, each class has a main teacher and a teacher`s assistant. We use the Education for Life philosophy and an environment filled with love to provide developmentally appropriate opportunities, materials,and activities. The children are able to experience who they are and relate to the world around them. A typical day in a preschool or kindergarten class usually begins with a class circle time that may include yoga, inspiring stories, songs, energy balancing modalities, healing prayers, and class sharing. Our curriculum is flexible and experiential, with time in the day for imaginative and nature-based play, art, as well as an interdisciplinary and holistic introduction to traditional academic subjects.
Features of our preschool and kindergarten program include:
- Spiritual and character development
- Emphasis on the whole child
- Small, family-like environment
- Arts, music, and movement
- Emotional harmony
- Creative play
- Calm focus
- Nature Yoga
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BeavertonGrades: PK-5 | 202 students
3900 SW Murray Blvd
Beaverton, OR 97005
- BeavertonGrades: K-12 | 490 students
5585 Sw 209th Ave
Beaverton, OR 97007
- Nevada CityGrades: PK-12 | 85 students
14618 Tyler Foote Road
Nevada City, CA 95959
- BeavertonGrades: PK-5 | 51 students
14485 SW Walker Road
Beaverton, OR 97006
- BeavertonGrades: K-12 | 215 students
14605 SW Weir Road
Beaverton, OR 97007
Living Wisdom School is not just a school; it's a community and an educational home. The teachers are highly gifted and the environment is uplifting and inspiring. Children are encouraged to develop their highest potential, including the traits of compassion, harmony within, cooperation, and problem-solving. My child has flourished at the school, and is truly developing the best of himself both academically and interpersonally. This school is raising the next generation of world-changers!
- Posted by Parent - megan