German International School
- At the German International School we provide the ideal learning environment for internationally-minded students and families.
- We focus on students' intellectual, social, and emotional development.
- Our students learn a second language, by being immersed in the German language and culture through music, art, books and conversation with teachers, parents and peers. In return, they have the opportunity to become well rounder learners, with the ability to be a better listener, more flexible in problem solving and more open to other languages and cultures.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||202 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition rates vary depending on selected program.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Elizabeth Gillespie|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
After School Clubs, After School Program, tutoring
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, piano lessons
- Nine reasons to give your child the gift of a bilingual education.
- Take advantage of your child's window of opportunity for learning a second language easily and naturally.
- Enrich and enhance your child's mental development.
- Increase your child's ability to have more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improve your child's understanding of his or her native language.
- Give your child the ability to communicate with people she or he would not otherwise know.
- Open the door to other cultures.
- Increase understanding, appreciation and empathy for people from other cultures.
- Give your child a head start in language requirements for college.
- Increase career and educational opportunities in fields where language fluency is a real asset.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Beaverton Grades: PK-8 | 47 students
4855 SW Watson Ave
Beaverton, OR 97005
(503)671-9112 1 PK-8
- Tualatin Grades: K-8 | 172 students
4201 SW Borland Rd
Tualatin, OR 97062
(503)638-6399 9.5 K-8
- Tualatin Grades: NS-12 | 551 students
23370 SW Boones Ferry Rd.
Tualatin, OR 97062
(503)612-6521 10.1 NS-12
- Portland Grades: PK-12 | 756 students
8825 SW Barnes Road
Portland, OR 97225
(503)297-1894 3 PK-12
- Hillsboro Grades: PK-8 | 83 students
770 NE Rogahn St.
Hillsboro, OR 97124
(503)844-7766 8.1 PK-8
As a German family living in the U.S. we''re very happy to send our kids to the GSP. This way our kids won't have any disadvantage, once they change over to a school in Germany again. In contrary, with the English language added (for grade school) and all the multicultural and multinational aspects that melt together in this school, they have a great advantage now and later on. We truly love the high level of education at this school as well as the extraordinarily friendly, professional staff. We feel like being part of a big family there. In preschool and kindergarten as well as in grade school our kids experience a safe, multifaceted learning environment. Our kids love to go to the GSP.
- Posted by Parent - kathr
Very unique and great community. This school has an interesting mix of students, not all families have affiliations to Germany, or German parents. I met families who join the school for their great curriculum only. There are plenty of extracurricular activities introducing children into arts, science, sports and logical thinking. On top of all it is fun for the children, they usually don't want to leave school!
- Posted by Parent - hohen
When I first entered GSP almost 10 (yes, ten!) years ago - I immediately fell for the school, and my first thought was: "I would love to have a child so he/ she can attend this wonderful school!" Now I am the happy mother of a GSP first grader who has attended the school since preschool, and we all still appreciate the unique opportunity for bilingual and bicultural education this school offers, along with a few other perks like the extensive library including thousands of German books, the music room with five pianos/ keyboards and other instruments or the huge sports room which allows for much needed exercise throughout the day even when it is pouring outside. The quality of teachers and other staff is just the icing and cherry on a beautifully layered cake, the blending of both American and German curriculum makes the school's program a most thorough and well-balanced educational experience. A lot of planning and outstanding efforts go into providing diverse opportunities for learning and practicing important concepts through different methods, so students with different learning styles and various talents are encouraged to pursue the best that they can be. We love GSP!
- Posted by Parent - lucia
We have been at the school for 3 years now. Major positives are the German curriculum. The kids learn / work with German in a multitude of subjects, including math, language arts and science, giving them a much broader sense of the language than just a foreign language classroom. Just today I heard a kid (whose parents are American and German) after science class making a really clever play on words about the Big Bang, but in German. How cool is that?!
- Posted by Parent - amy
We are really glad we enrolled our son at GSP. The school is a great place for young minds to learn another language. At GSP, they have a good program that helps kids to blend in smoothly and be confident foreign language learners.
- Posted by Parent - anavf
GSP is a warm and welcoming place. The teachers and staff are friendly, creative and professional which creates a wonderful learning environment for our daughter. GSP offers a well rounded and challenging curriculum as well as lots of after school clubs on a variety of topics. We believed that learning a second language would be a great benefit for our child and we new it would be challenging, however our daughter is thriving with this challenge. She loves learning German and learning about the German culture and traditions.
- Posted by Parent - shrle
Mom: "What do you like best about GSP?" 5 year old daughter: "The teachers. They work very hard all year long and so does everyone else." The school is amazingly organized, well ran and great introduction to German language and culture. A truly great language school. Before and after care are also very good.
- Posted by Parent - justi
Our daughter just finished her first year of preschool at the German American School and it has been a great year for her and for the whole family. We found a very friendly and warm environment. Teachers are professional and caring. They know very well how to make a child thriving. However, everybody in the school loves children and makes them feel cherished. The organization of the school is exemplar. My daughter is very proud of her school, of learning another language, of her new friends and she is happy of going to school, which actually is what really matters.
- Posted by Parent - mrn23