Edison High School
Edison High School Photo #2 - A student works with history teacher Ms. Connolly during class. Every incoming student receives a laptop (now an iPad) equipped with assistive software.
Edison High School Photo #3 - Students work with math teacher Mr. Livesey throughout the year to build two kayaks by hand; here, he helps a student with launching.
Edison High School Photo #4 - Edison students love our American Sign Language course, taught by Mr. Stamps. It's a great way for students with learning differences to become fluent in another language.
Edison High School Photo #5 - Students at Edison participate in many elective classes and activities led by our teachers, such as the Ultimate Frisbee team.
- We are the only private high school in Oregon specifically designed to meet the needs of students with complex learning disabilities and attention deficit disorder issues.
- Though it's rare that one of our students` only learning challenge is ADD, we have found ADD to be a significant component in a diagnosis that could also include Dyslexia, Auditory Processing Disorders, Nonverbal Learning Disorders or Visual Perception Disorders.
- No two students are exactly alike, so customized approaches to learning is our normal mode of operation.
- Our partnership with Jesuit High School (www.jesuitportland.com/) means that our students have access to all their extracurricular activities (i.e.
- sports, clubs, dances, etc) and students who meet specific academic standards have access to any Jesuit class (i.e. Spanish, calculus, physics, etc).
Edison High School places among the top 20% of private schools in Oregon for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||AdvancED|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia / ADD / ADHD/ Asperger’s / Tourette’s / Dysgraphia / Dyscalculia / Visual Perception / Nonverbal Learning Disorders|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||96 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$23,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Nick Dexter|
|Admissions Associate||Linda Johnson|
- Welcome to Edison High School, the only high school in Oregon andSouthwest Washington dedicated to serving students with complexlearning differences or learning disabilities. Our work here ispowerful and profound: helping every student to reach his or her fullpotential.As a small, private school, Edison High School offers anindividualized curriculum that meets each student`s unique needs andmaximizes their ability to learn. We also provide the emotionalsupport that builds confidence and maturity. By empowering studentswith learning differences to experience academic success andpersonal growth, Edison does more than prepare teens for the future: it changes lives.
- Edison High School is open to students who have learningdifferences such as Dyslexia, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD),Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Tourette `ssyndrome, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD), Visual Perception, and Nonverbal Learning Disorders.Students are referred by parents, schools, counselors, tutors andmedical professionals. Each student and family is interviewed prior toadmission and evaluated by staff to ensure a good fit.
- Edison`s curriculum prepares students for graduation and beyond.Classes average nine students, allowing teachers to become familiarwith each student`s learning abilities and challenges andto individualize instruction within a classroom setting. The strongbonds that form between staff and students are a hallmark of ourschool; these relationships encourage and steer academic and personalsuccess. Enrollment is approximately 96 students. Edison HighSchool is accredited through AdvancED.
- Founded in 1973 in Portland, Oregon, Edison is located on thecampus of Jesuit High School. Though independent, there is acollaborative relationship between the two schools. Some Edisonstudents attend classes at Jesuit; some Jesuit students take classes atEdison; and many Edison students participate in sports, theater,music, and other extracurricular activities offered by Jesuit.
- Edison is a four-year, full-service high school program with a strongrecord of academic success. The vast majority of our students receivetheir high school diplomas and most Edison students continue theireducation beyond a high school diploma. About one-third of ourgraduates go on to a four-year college, while two-thirds ofstudents attend a two-year institution, enter the workforce or workwhile continuing post-graduate education. All students who earn theirdiplomas from Edison receive career awareness and guidance throughour transitions program.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: 5-8 | 52 students
2510 SW 1st Avenue
Portland, OR 97201
(503)506-0792 9.6 5-8
- Portland Grades: 9-12 | 1300 students
9000 Sw Beaverton-hillsdale Hwy
Portland, OR 97225
(503)292-2663 0.1 9-12
- Portland Grades: PK-12 | 863 students
6300 SW Nicol Road
Portland, OR 97223
(503)768-3115 0.9 PK-12
Sometimes a regular school is not the right fit for a child. Perhaps she needs an alternative school.
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.