Bridges Middle School
- Bridges is the only middle school in Oregon specifically designed for students with learning differences to reach their maximum potential-in a loving, nurturing atmosphere centrally located in downtown Portland.
- Our small settings for 5th-8th graders incorporate individualized academics with social skills, therapies, and support that set the foundation for future success. For many Bridges students, this means the difference between effective learning and being passed along.
- It means positive social and emotional growth rather than isolation or, worse, bullying. In our small classes, nothing is left to chance.
- Students are not expected to `pick up` material. Instead, they are taught how to learn using effective individualized instruction in reading, writing, science, social studies, and mathematics.
- They learn self-advocacy and social skills. Most of all, they are safe, and supported, and able to grow. At Bridges, students learn another way forward.
- Our goal is to give students with learning differences the academic foundation, social skills and confidence they need to graduate ready to succeed in high school and in the community.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||AdvancED|
|Grades Offered||Grades 5-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Distractability, impulsivity, hyperactivity, sensory processing, social/emotional support, dysgraphia, dyscalcula, ASD, Anxiety, low self-esteem, dyslexia,|
|Total Students||55 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$24,500|
|Tuition Notes||Payment plans and Financial Aid are available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$11,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Beven Byrnes|
- Individualized learning and attention. Bridges Middle School does more than prepare our students for high school. We transform lives. Students with learning differences experience academic success and personal growth. They learn to navigate school - and life - with confidence and competence. Students leave Bridges with self-awareness and the tools to accomplish their goals despite their learning differences.
- Small Classes. Big Results. In our small classes, Bridges` students flourish in a community of supportive teachers and peers. We strive to maintain a student-teacher ratio of twelve to one and often even lower, compared with other public and private settings where class sizes often average 30 or more. This unique context allows individualized assistance, the development of a deep understanding of our students` needs, and the ability to tailor lessons to build on the strengths and creative interests of each child.
- Parents say Bridges is quite literally a lifesaver. We offer a range of social and emotional support to our students and their families. Our team of teachers, counselors and administrators bring a wide range of expertise from diverse backgrounds. They help students understand the complex nuances of middle school culture, provide responsive services for challenges that arise within the school community, and assist individual students by providing support and coaching at different stages of need.
- Bridges builds confidence. Every student has something they`re good at, whether it`s art, writing, sports, or being a good friend to others. Our teachers help students recognize and appreciate their strengths. Therefore, they will build self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Bridges creates routines and structure. Students with learning differences often experience severe disorganization. Often, they need ways to structure both time and space. Bridges creates clear routines and schedules for what needs to be done when, and set up easy-to-use binders and work spaces to promote clarity and organization.
- Bridges empowers students to make choices about their learning. Because students with learning differences find school difficult, students may have a hard time making decisions about what they want to do. Bridges puts the power in their hands by encouraging them to do things they love and that make them feel empowered-such as cooking, building something, or making their own movie.
- Bridges partners with parents and expert providers. Bridges` counselors and teachers work in collaboration with family providers in the fields of education, behavior, and mental health. We work in partnership with parents and providers to best support our students to thrive in school-and in life-becoming their best selves.
- Bridges provides academic and social support. An important component to ensuring the success of each student at Bridges Middle School is to have faculty who fully understand the developmental characteristics and unique learning needs of middle-school students. Bridges is fortunate to have a professional, creative, knowledgeable and caring staff. The teaching and counseling team at Bridges Middle School meets each student where he or she is academically and socially. In small classes, Bridges` students do more than learn to cope with their learning differences. They gain the academic, social and self-advocacy skills necessary to succeed in school and at home.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: 9-12 | 109 students
9020 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy
Portland, OR 97225
(503) 297-2336 9.6 9-12
- Portland Grades: 1-12 | 94 students
14815 Se Division St.
Portland, OR 97236
(503) 595-2771 5.4 1-12
- Portland Grades: 7-12 | 22 students
2020 SE Powell Blvd
Portland, OR 97202
(503) 233-6121 7 7-12