- Our mission is to build an environment of trust and instill a lifelong love of learning within our active farm community.
- We spend a great deal of time outdoors and believe the farm, animals, trees, and fields are central to learning and to the development of the whole child.
- Through hands-on exploration and play, we strive to strengthen your child`s self-image as confident and capable learners.
- Our teachers create an environment of trust that encourages your child to take chances, develop peer connections, and pursue their natural curiosity with the excitement of teachable moments.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-Kindergarten|
|Total Students||95 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(children play outdoors and get dirty)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 20|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Diana Walcott|
- We believe preschool children learn best through hands-on exploration and play, which is at the core of our curriculum. Play develops precisely the qualities children need to lead happy, productive lives such as persistence, planning, problem solving, ability to communicate, and capacity to collaborate.
- Play is a primary learning path at Apple Orchard School, and our unique farm environment provides unlimited opportunity for skills learned through play to be applied to classroom foundational learning. At this age, we believe that sitting and having a child count blocks doesn`t compare to jumping from stump to stump while counting, or noticing how many ducks are on a pond one day compared to the next. We want to capitalize on what engages children at this age so that they are excited and interested in learning!
- We use the farm around us not simply because it is available, but also because there is a direct and positive correlation between contact with nature, imaginative play and learning. Both inside and out of the classroom, we do frequent art projects and participate in the exploration of building, estimating, measuring, and structural problem solving in keeping with the trend of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math).
- One parent captured our curriculum focus well stating, "I am thrilled that we have been able to find a preschool for our daughter that elevates play and concrete activities over academic concerns. You don`t pretend to do things, but you really do them. I love it that the kids pick vegetables, collect eggs, and cook snacks together. I think it`s nothing short of fabulous that the children got to watch ducks raised from eggs and set free on the pond."
Profile last updated: 05/06/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BrooklineGrades: PK-8 | 555 students
171 Goddard Avenue
Brookline, MA 02445
BelmontGrades: PK-8 | 272 students
55 Day School Lane
Belmont, MA 02478
MattapanGrades: PK-8 | 147 students
800 Morton St
Mattapan, MA 02126
FoxboroGrades: PK-8 | 169 students
171 Mechanic St
Foxboro, MA 02035
Chestnut HillGrades: PK-12 | 373 students
69 Middlesex Road
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
All three of our children attended Apple Orchard School and absolutely loved it. It's farm environment offers an unrivaled opportunity for learning and play. For our children, it inspired a lifelong love of school and learning.
- Posted by Parent - david