- Atrium School is a progressive school for Pre-Kindergarten through 8th Grade located in Watertown, MA near the Cambridge line.
- Established in 1982, we believe that small classes, passionate faculty and a truly engaging, hands-on learning environment can draw out the best in each child.
- Our graduates emerge curious and capable, truly loving learning, and welcomed by both public and independent next-schools throughout the Boston area. Our students experience EXCELLENCE WITH JOY each day.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in n/a|
|Total Students||148 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,000|
|Tuition Notes||Financial aid available. Tuition rates available online.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Sandi Dunn|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Cross Country, Rock ClimbingCross Country, Rock Climbing,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
art studio, choir, theater, violin
Recreational Athletic Programs:
cross country running, rock climbing
- Our Approach at the Atrium School. Nearly 30 years ago, Cambridge-based educator Ginny Kahn envisioned a school where children are nurtured, valued, and challenged: nurtured as individual, creative learners, valued as thoughtful, constructive members of a warm and loving community, and challenged to achieve their fullest potential as they grow and change. She envisioned the Atrium School, an educational community in which we are all encouraged to "wonder, explore, invent, imagine, develop skills, and persevere at challenging work." Working together, Atrium families, teachers, and friends developed the school in Watertown, Massachusetts, where it has become a model for independent, progressive education. We are committed to:
- Small classes and individual attention: Because early educational experiences set young people on a path for life, the Atrium carefully cultivates each child's love of learning, confidence in his or her own ideas and abilities, respect for others and the environment, and engagement as a citizen of the world. To give each child the attention this effort requires, our class sizes are small, with two full-time teachers in every classroom. Our average classroom student:teacher ratio is 1:8; including specialists, our faculty:teacher ratio is 1:4. The educational program at the Atrium helps children to become invested in their learning and to value and trust in themselves as learners.
- Hands-on, Progressive educational model: Children learn best by doing and applying. At the Atrium School, direct experience in a meaningful context is core to our educational philosophy and approach. Hands-on explorations enable children to discover new information for themselves, reflect on this knowledge, integrate it into their full spectrum of ideas, build on it, and make further connections. We build our approach on the established foundations of the Progressive education model, which means that we nurture the social development of children as much as we do their cognitive and academic growth. Students develop strategies that nourish their intellectual, emotional, social, and physical self-confidence. With these tools, children are inspired and prepared to take risks in order to achieve higher levels of thinking and learning. Our students become good at working on teams, valuing diversity, multi-tasking, thinking creatively and critically, and showing what they know and understand in a myriad of powerful ways.
- Innovative, rigorous academics: An emphasis on collaborative and hands-on learning sustains a climate where students learn critical thinking and problem-solving skills. From Pre-Kindergarten through 8th Grade, the Atrium curriculum provides strong foundations mixed with flexibility, a distinctive structure personalized to each child's own strengths. You can read about the atrium curriculum in detail in the Learning section of our website. Atrium graduates attend and succeed in public and private "next schools" throughout the Boston area.
- Extraordinary Enrichment: Spanish, violin, and environmental stewardship. We provide powerful contexts to engage each individual. In addition to core subjects, our students in ALL grades learn Spanish, play violin in partnership with New England Conservatory, and study urban wildlife at the adjacent Mt. Auburn Cemetery.
- Whole Child and welcoming community: By upholding the principles of social justice and educational equity, the Atrium community accepts and teaches responsibility for building a community in which each person's voice can be heard and respected. Children carry with them the teachings of an educational community that encourages its members to see the common threads that run through people's lives. They learn to value the strength and integrity of differences, and to affirm the rights of the individual and the rights of others.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- CambridgeGrades: PK-12 | 1018 students
80 Gerrys Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
- BrooklineGrades: PK-8 | 555 students
171 Goddard Avenue
Brookline, MA 02445
- CambridgeGrades: PK-8 | 511 students
178 Coolidge Hill
Cambridge, MA 02138
- Chestnut HillGrades: PK-12 | 378 students
69 Middlesex Road
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
- Chestnut HillGrades: NS-6 | 274 students
428 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
We are very fortunate that both of our sons are at Atrium. As a family we, have been a part of the Atrium community for six years now. Atrium is a place where our boys are truly known, valued for who they are, and appreciated by all members of the community. What`s more is that they know this, and therefore they feel safe enough to take risks in their learning. Their educational experience is undoubtedly a rich and deep one, but what we, as parents, find equally, if not more important, is that they are happy going to school every day. Atrium is a place where students learn alongside a dedicated faculty who not only foster intellectual and academic curiosity but also cultivate a culture of kindness, empathy, innovation, and creativity. As parents, we are happy to be members of a welcoming, warm, inclusive community of adults including our fellow parents, teachers, staff, and administrators. Atrium`s middle school is a rare find; it maintains an progressive ethos while effectively preparing students for whatever lies ahead. Every year, our boys have been deeply engaged and appropriately challenged. We know (and are very thankful) that Atrium students leave Atrium understanding what it takes to be successful students, confident individuals, inquisitive learners, respectful members of a community, and productive citizens. Atrium is a true gem of a school!
- Posted by Parent - ak
Our daughter has been at Atrium since pre-K and is now a thriving 5th grade powerhouse, all due to the excellent education she has received at Atrium School. The community is supportive, the teachers talented and each student is valued for their inherent talents. THE BEST.
- Posted by Parent - MJO
Atrium is a warm, nurturing, progressive school where both our children are thriving. We are so grateful to have found this treasure. The teachers are committed and creative, with a deep understanding of their students. Our children are being appropriately challenged academically, and they love going to school every day, because Atrium fosters joy in learning. Most importantly for our family, Atrium respects and celebrates our children for who they are.
- Posted by Parent - sarah