Blue Oak School
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Kindergarten-8
- Students: 120 students
- Yearly Tuition: $23,500
- Acceptance rate: 57%
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Blue Oak School is committed to providing children with an optimal learning environment where they are encouraged to examine their interests, expand their understanding and engage their imaginations.
- Small class sizes allow for individual attention and a collaborative mix of teachers who are creative, passionate about the lessons they teach, and most importantly, deeply committed to the children they serve. The result is a vibrant community where learning is an active, joyful process of discovery.
- Children "learn by doing." At Blue Oak School students experience what they study. They do not just read about science, they explore and make hypotheses and then test them. They devise mathematical models and use them in practical applications; they read children's literature and create their own stories. They learn music and compose and perform their own.
- Curriculum is child-centered and developmentally appropriate. Learning takes place in a meaningful context and is tied to children's needs and interests.
- The curriculum builds from a foundation. It draws on what students already know and extends their established base of knowledge. Students connect to new learning and retain the known.
- Understanding, rather than memorization, is stressed. Students transfer learning to new situations, teach other students and create using what they have understood.
- The process of learning is emphasized. When process is central, there is no need to cheat, no need for parents to do homework, no need to avoid risks. Risk-taking and experiencing an occasional failure are encouraged.
- The curriculum is integrated. Blue Oak School faculty blend disciplines to stimulate understanding from different viewpoints. Teaching is extended through literature, music, art, science and mathematics.
- Inquiry is at the heart of the curriculum. Important questions are asked and addressed.
Endorse Blue Oak School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards