Catholic Central High School
5.00 (4 reviews)
- Catholic Central High School is rich in both history and tradition. Founded in 1906 by Bishop Henry Richter and the Dominican Sisters, it is the oldest Catholic, coeducational, Diocesan high school in the U.S. 2015 ACT Composite of 24.6 ranks as one of the highest in West Michigan, 100% of our graduates are accepted to a college or university.
- We have many opportunities to make Catholic Central affordable for you and your family, as 43% of families receive tuition assistance.
- As a Catholic High School, we follow and teach the faith daily, however you do not have to be Catholic to attend our school. 20% of our student population do not consider themselves Catholic.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Other school association(s)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild to Moderate Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||632 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 17%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus, Capstone, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Macroeconomics, Psychology, Research, Seminar, Statistics, US Government & Politics, US History, World History,|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants/shorts/plaid skirt and polo/button down)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,000|
|Tuition Notes||Catholic Central offers an array of Financial Aid and Scholarships. In the 2014-2015 school year, we gave families over $1.3 million in Financial Aid. Please call our Admissions director or visit http://www.grcatholiccentral.org/admissions/scholarships-|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,100|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jackie Stetson|
|Admissions Associate||Michael Jacob|
|Total Sports Offered||22 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Fencing, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Diving,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Catholic Central Association of Scholarly Science-Fiction Enthusiasts, Chess Team, Debate, Earth Club, French Club, Girls Who Code, Guitar Club, H.O.P.E. (Helping Out People Everywhere), Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Peace Jam, Quiz Bowl, Spanish Club, Students for Life, Studio Club, Writers Group
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Visit http://www.grcatholiccentral.org/admissions/4-simple-steps/ for complete details.
- 1. Take the High School Placement Test (incoming freshmen only).
- 2. Apply by completing and submitting the Application for Admission.
- 3. Enroll at Catholic Central by submitting the required paperwork from your acceptance packet and the $100 enrollment fee to the Business Office.
- 4. Register for classes with the Guidance Office. Course registration takes place in March and April.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grand RapidsGrades: 9-12 | 947 students
2300 Plymouth Ave Se
Grand Rapids, MI 49506
- Grand RapidsGrades: 9-12 | 507 students
1801 Bristol Ave Nw
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
- Grand RapidsGrades: PK-12
3101 Leonard Street, NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
- WyomingGrades: 9-12 | 180 students
2500 Newport St Sw
Wyoming, MI 49519
- WyomingGrades: PK-12 | 580 students
810 Van Raalte Dr Sw
Wyoming, MI 49509
I am alumni of Catholic Central High School. This was a high quality school when I graduated back in the early 2000's and I am amazed and proud of where it is today. The programs and course offerings extend to those that are high achieving to those that need learning support. They offer just as many varsity sports as those schools that have three times their population. The fine arts program is award winning and continues to impress. Students have opportunities to grow in their faith with retreats and weekly Liturgy at the Cathedral of St. Andrew. I have lived in other major cities around the mid-west and Catholic Central High School is amongst the best secondary education you can find.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - mikej
Catholic Central High School provides all students with the opportunity to challenge themselves academically, spiritually, athletically, and socially in a Christ centered environment. As an alumni, I am proud be a part of the teaching staff.
- Posted by Teacher - Jessi
The academics at Catholic Central are second to none among high schools in West Michigan. Students are extremely well prepared for college and the next step in their lives. The teachers are very accommodating to all the students and willing to provide all the necessary help for students to have success. The teachers are demanding and push students to achieve great things. Extracurricular activities are awesome. Athletics and the arts are as plentiful as the local schools with 3000 students. Participation in all of them is higher then any other school around. Facilities are now in the process of matching every first class experience this school has to offer. The school and athletic facilities are going through major planning for upgrades and will be the best when done.
- Posted by Parent - toddk
Catholic Central is a great school , we are blessed to have a defined mission and plenty of resources to accomplish that mission. We have kind, caring and hardworking students and parents that are involved in their children's eduction.
- Posted by Teacher - marco
May 10, 2018
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
May 10, 2018
Sending your children to a summer program or camp keeps them active in fun-filled settings. We explore your options.
April 19, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.