5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (415) 481-1243
Caulbridge School Photo #2 - Caulbridge School sits on a magnificent nature property in Marin County. Our campus includes beautiful sunlit classrooms and project rooms, library, outdoor classrooms and stage, auditorium, kitchen, hiking trails and recreation areas. Students enjoy the trees, creek and abundant wildlife on campus. Caulbridge School is conveniently located for families throughout Marin, San Francisco and the East Bay.
Caulbridge School Photo #3 - In her groundbreaking work, A Common Sense Education in Uncommon Times: Caulbridge, author, parent, and education expert Debra Lambrecht takes on these questions. Her answers may both surprise you and have you thinking, `Well, that makes sense!`Ms. Lambrecht is the Founder and Head of School at Caulbridge School in Marin.
Caulbridge School Photo #4 - Wilderness Day - Once a month students spend the entire day learning wilderness and primitive skills such as fire building, knife safety, animal tracking, and having plain-old fun in nature with our certified tracker, Ms. Pombo. Students develop observation skills, reasoning, social emotional skills and courage!
Caulbridge School Photo #5 - Grouping students by skill-level rather than grade-level for math and language arts meets the needs of those students who are ready for more advanced academics, as well as those who are struggling and need more practice. Caulbridge School supports optimal learning using structured and sequential mastery of skills.
Caulbridge School Photo #6 - Caulbridge School offers Parent - Child programs that support parents and children as they prepare for pre-school and kindergarten. Our morning class engages the young child in nature and gardening activities. Current research shows a strong correlation between children spending time in nature and their healthy social, emotional and cognitive development.
Caulbridge School approaches education through a uniquely child-centered, developmental perspective. Bringing together the latest in neuroscience and collective wisdom, Caulbridge works to balance a child`s sensory-motor, social-emotional, and academic skills. This balance is fundamental to a child`s successful school experience. Caulbridge education answers the call of forward-thinking families who are dissatisfied with current educational offerings, sense their children need more than information and test scores, wish for their children to experience a deep satisfaction in life, and want their children to first know their own hearts, and then to venture forth to engage the world with their own distinctive contribution. TK-8th admissions.
Caulbridge School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Sensory Processing, Anxiety and Attention challenges are supported|
|Total Students||96 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Campus in Nature-setting)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,000|
|Tuition Notes||$15,995 - $28,995 Caulbridge School offers an indexed tuition that reflects our value of inclusion and encourages participation of families from a wide range of backgrounds and circumstances. We understand that cultural and economic diversity enriches the educational opportunity for all families. No parent fundraisers! In our unique business model, tuition covers the full costs of your child’s education, and parents are not expected to make additional donations for the typical annual giving or school fundraising events.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$9,000|
National avg.: 85%
- Caulbridge School uses a child-development perspective and works to balance a child`s sensory-motor, social-emotional and cognitive development. This becomes a solid foundation for the deeper learning outcomes of critical thinking, collaboration, self-confidence and ethics. Strong intellectual capacities and personal resilience are the natural products of our developmental model.
- Our common sense education begins with the child in mind then asks what is needed for healthy childhood development and how we teach the cognitive, social-emotional, and sensory-motor skills in a balanced way. Since it is impossible to know what skills will be needed in their lifetime, we must equip students with the mindset, skillset, and internal architecture to navigate their world. Your child`s internal architecture refers to their integrity, ethical thinking, initiative, compassion, and awareness. As I was speaking of the importance of these qualities, one parent remarked, "Oh, it`s like Jedi training! In the Star Wars world, the Jedi warriors` code emphasizes self-improvement through knowledge and wisdom, and selfless service through acts of charity and citizenship." Well, then yes, it is like Jedi training. Parents should not have to choose between strong academics and strong internal architecture (Jedi training) for their children, and I contend that you cannot really have one without the other. At Caulbridge School, we are courageous enough to teach in ways that authentically address child development, even when contemporary education practices run contrary.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Concord Grades: PK-K | 39 students
4976 Myrtle Drive
Concord, CA 94521
(925) 890-0630 31 PK-K
- San Pablo Grades: K-8 | 46 students
3120 Shane Dr
San Pablo, CA 94806
(510) 222-5050 11.4 K-8
- Walnut Creek Grades: PK-K | 149 students
298 N. Wiget Ln.
Walnut Creek, CA 94598
(925) 357-8080 28.1 PK-K
You are a good parent. You've researched learning styles, educational models, and advocated for your child until you are exhausted. Schooling feels like an uphill battle, complete with nightly tears about homework or anxiety about school tomorrow. (Sometimes your child's, sometimes yours.) You've exhausted your own emotional reserves and you can see the strain on your child. They are too young to be in this state!Let me offer you an option:A school with an emphasis on the development of the child and academics paced appropriately on a sprawling nature campus.We have found the teachers here to be well suited to "see" our child and help them meet the learning for the day; they conduct a calm but engaged classroom, and display a respect and enthusiasm for nature/outside time that helps the children ground/regulate themselves.We are thrilled at the quantity of time our child is outdoors. Morning "warm up" activity outside, generous lunch and recess, PE/movement class (Mr. Degiulio is incredible), and monthly Wilderness Day with Ms. Thacher and Ms. Tess (always a rave review!) Our child is not exhausted when we pick-up, but not wound up either. Their energy is "well spent."We are amazed at the class sizes of 12! (Coming from public school with 26+ kids in a class!) This allows for a significant increase in quality instruction time from the teacher.We look forward to expanded arts (woodworking, more robust music program) and school experiences/extra curricular as the school grows.If you are even a little bit curious, take a tour through this school's nature campus. Even if the school is not a good fit, your time will be well spent as you walk the peaceful space and take a deep breath.
- Posted by Parent - mama
Scholarships for private school students are rather limited. Most support students in their area. Here are some organizations which offer funding.
Use this hub to help you manage your children's private school education during the pandemic.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.