Charlotte Preparatory School
5.00 (5 reviews)
Tel: (704) 366-5994
- Charlotte Preparatory School is a college preparatory, coeducational day school.
- The school was founded in 1971 as Charlotte Montessori School, and it later moved to its current southeast Charlotte location in 1992.
- With the addition of the Middle School, the name of the school was changed to Charlotte Preparatory School in 1998 to reflect our philosophy.
- Charlotte Preparatory School fosters lifelong learning and provides an exemplary educational experience founded on academic excellence, positive character, and leadership development in a diverse, inclusive community.
Charlotte Preparatory School places among the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||422 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||32 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,100|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade level|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Vicky Wilkison|
|Admissions Associate||Seher Khanna|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Flag Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Flag Football, Golf,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Community Service, Math Counts, Science Olympiad, Spanish, Student Council|
Club or Organization:
Duke TIP, Photography
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Various after school studios
- Charlotte Prep sits on more than 13 acres and features three divisions: the Early School (ages 2 through 5), the Lower School (Kindergarten through 4th Grade) and the Middle School (5th through 8th Grade). With small classes and an optimum student-teacher ratio, Charlotte Prep provides an enriched curriculum presented in a supportive environment to ensure each student's individual success. The Middle school, which graduated its first 8th Grade class in 2002, graduates students who are highly recruited by area high schools and boarding schools.
- Charlotte Prep provides an encouraging, caring environment that nurtures the whole child. Our emphasis on academics creates students who are passionate learners. The school's unique personal growth programs create young leaders.
- More than 30 percent of the student body is comprised of diverse students, which is evident in each Charlotte Prep classroom. Faculty and students from all over the world are teaching and learning at Charlotte Prep. The school is motivated by a belief that in a global society, diverse classrooms are important to an elite education.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Charlotte Grades: K-12 | 1624 students
5800 Sardis Road
Charlotte, NC 28270
(704) 887-6000 1.1 K-12
- Charlotte Grades: NS-12 | 122 students
7000 Endhaven Ln
Charlotte, NC 28277
(704) 341-3236 6.7 NS-12
Great school , so glad my family discovered it on our search . Intimate, diverse setting with the focus truly on the children . My children have been to many schools and this one is by far their favorite . Teachers are very hands on and always available .
- Posted by Parent - John
My 2 sons spent a decade here before moving up to HS, and my younger son was a Charlotte Prep 'lifer' (attended from TK Montessori through 8th Grade graduation). There is no school in Charlotte that can match CPS for its student body diversity, and the K-8 students' academic successes, their amazing fine arts experiences, and the incredibly personal teacher-student relationships are equally unrivaled. Charlotte Prep is the 'gem' of Charlotte's private schools, just waiting to be discovered by discerning parents who want the best private educational experience for their kids, not the most 'popular' one.
- Posted by Parent - Chris L.
We have been at the school for 9 years and were going to go to a bigger K-12 private school. After doing a lot of tours, including one at Prep, we decided to stay at Prep. We are so happy with our decision. The kids in middle school here are the stars of the school. They are not influenced by high schoolers, but they get all the attention and they get to be the leaders. So the kids we met were all very mature & independent. Early and lower school have prepared our daughter to shine in middle school and she is thriving. Kids at Prep are encouraged at all levels to grow and challenge themselves in a nurturing environment. The student-teacher ratio is 8:1 and the school is 40% diverse. (2019/2020 numbers) We are very happy we stayed at Prep. We absolutely love our school and small community.
- Posted by Parent - Latina Mom at Prep
We have been at Prep for several years. The school is supportive, rigorous, and welcoming. Here, your child is known by name and challenged to be the best every day. Meet the older kids and see what Prep can do.
- Posted by Parent - PrepParent
My family has been at Charlotte Prep for over four years now and we could not be happier. It is a great community with wonderful teachers. My kids are excelling and I see areas of need addressed immediately resulting in a visible improvement.
- Posted by Parent - binkl
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.