CAIS is the nation's preeminent and oldest school offering Chinese-English dual-language immersion education.
Founded in 1981, CAIS education begins at 2 year old preschool through 8th grade. It is a co-ed independent school in San Francisco, California that provides a dual language and multicultural learning experience for students of all backgrounds.
Our mission at the Chinese American International School is to inspire and empower learners to Embrace Chinese, Become our best selves and Contribute to a better world. Our Core Values are Kindness, Curiosity, Courage, Perserverance, and Inclusion.
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 51%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
CAIS offers adjusted tuition ranging from $1,700 to $33,400.
% on Financial Aid
- CAIS fosters a culture of learning characterized by curiosity, agency, perseverance and joy. Students take control of their own learning, experiencing the joy and empowerment of a growth mindset and life in which learning is a continuous and never-ending journey.
- We foster a school community that is diverse, equitable and inclusive. We firmly believe social and emotional competence can and must be explicitly taught in order for our students to achieve their capacity to be kind and resilient individuals who actively particpate in, contribute and grow within a diverse, equitable and inclusive community.
- The CAIS immersion bonus is an expansive mindset that is cultivated through Chinese immersion which extends far beyond language to add to a student's cognitive, character and intercultural competencies. From incorporating project based learning and Reading and Writing Workshop in both languages across grades, to our focus on design thinking and arts integration across the curriculum, CAIS teachers help students build the skills they need to be prepared for 21st century challenges.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Chinese American International School cost?
Chinese American International School's tuition is approximately $37,200 for private students.
Does Chinese American International School offer a summer program?
Yes, Chinese American International School offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What sports does Chinese American International School offer?
Chinese American International School offers 4 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer and Volleyball.
What is Chinese American International School's ranking?
Chinese American International School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in California for: Largest student body.
When is the application deadline for Chinese American International School?
The application deadline for Chinese American International School is Jan. 2.
Endorse Chinese American International School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Exploring Educational Savings Accounts: A Guide for Parents
This comprehensive article explores the different educational savings accounts available to parents for private K-12 education and tertiary education. It provides detailed explanations of each account, including the 529 College Savings Plan, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and Custodial Accounts. The article cites applicable legal authorities and emphasizes the importance of informed decision-making by consulting with legal and financial professionals.
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
October 30, 2023Volunteering at Your Children's Private School
Discover the many meaningful ways parents can get involved at their children's private school and make a positive impact on the educational journey. From PTA involvement to sharing specialized skills, find out how your contributions can strengthen the school community.