Chinquapin Preparatory School
- The Chinquapin School was founded to provide a high quality college-preparatory education to able and motivated youth from low-income families in the Greater Houston area.
- Through its rigorous curriculum and an emphasis on community service and earning what one receives, Chinquapin hopes to produce responsible, well-educated citizens who will become constructive leaders in the community.
- The Chinquapin School is a college preparatory, 5-day boarding school for boys and day school for girls from low-income Houston area families.
- The school was founded in 1969 by Robert P. Moore, former head of the English Department at St. John's School in Houston, with the help of a $250,000 grant from The Brown Foundation.
- We are currently building a dormority for girls. The anticipated completion date is January 2017.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Texas Association of Accredited Private Schools (TAAPS)|
Texas Private School Accreditation Commission
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||164 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 35%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||19 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, English, Environmental Science, Spanish, Statistics,|
|Average SAT score||1180|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$1,170|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is based on a sliding scale using the TDA eligibility guidelines for free and reduced lunch. Most students pay $35-225/month for 9 months. The highest current tuition is $200/month ($1,800 total). Students may work off tuition on campus, similar|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$13,700|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tina Barr|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Flag Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||ceramics, choir, community service, debate, guitar, Interact Club, newspaper, performing arts, piano lessons, Student Ambassadors, yearbook, yoga ceramics, choir, debate, guitar, Interact Club, newspaper, piano lessons, yearbook, yoga, community service,|
- Chinquapin Preparatory School provides a challenging, college-preparatory education to able and motivated youth from low-income families in the Greater Houston area. Chinquapin Prep is privately managed and funded. Parents pay a minimal tuition that typically covers only three percent of the annual cost of educating our students. Students are also able to work off tuition through a program similar to work study. 95% of our students matriculate into college. 85% of our students receive college degrees. 100% receive college tuition assistance.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BaytownGrades: PK-12 | 271 students
5555 N Main St
Baytown, TX 77521
- HoustonGrades: 9-12 | 661 students
Po Box 271299
Houston, TX 77277
- ChannelviewGrades: PK-8 | 87 students
1215 Pecan St
Channelview, TX 77530
Chinquapin has had my back since I can remember starting sixth grade. This school offers two things that can't be bought with money and they are teacher showing their students to love learning and a family away from home. I am thankful for my opportunity to be here and can't wait for the years to come .
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Ver
Chinquapin is a great opportunity for any student with a low income family. It truly prepares you for college, but more importantly it instills great values in you that will stay with you forever. It is a true family community and it's only getting better.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Rob
I need an opportunity in this campus I have 3 girls grades 10, 11 and 12 and just moved to Highlands from Deer Park Tx and very interested in attending your school.
- Posted by Parent - Carme
Chinquapin is a wonderful college-preparatory school dedicated to sending students to college. The boarding system for students really teaches students how to interact with others and manage their time wisely.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - mwebb
Great school that helps you achieve your goals in life. The teachers push you and motivate you so you can graduate and get prepared for college.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - seuce
Never have I met so many teachers dedicated to the success of their students or this many kids decated to learning. Chinquapin might seem like an exotic way of learning and teaching because of the rigorous work load but it prepares the students for college. And the students have fun !
- Posted by Student/Alumni - mpere
Chinquapin is a great private school that offers the low income students a chance to receive a better education. The schools main focus is education. Chinquapin cares a lot about the students level of grades, and they offer lots of help to everyone. Chinquapin is not only a private school that offers great education, but it also offers students an oppurtunity to show there athletic and creative side. They offer all students an oppurtunity to join sports no matter who they are. Everyone has many oppurtunities to succeed in life. When you come to Chinquapin you receive an oppurtunity like no other.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - lrobl