- The mission of Curtis School is to provide a well-rounded educational experience that will prepare students to pursue confidently the journey of their lives.
- The school believes this mission can best be realized in a diverse community that embraces a broad range of cultural perspectives.
- In fulfilling its mission, Curtis seeks to inspire a love of learning, to promote appreciation of and participation in athletics and the arts, and to instill a strong sense of moral behavior.
- Curtis nurtures a student's natural abilities while maintaining that children need direction, discipline, and standards of excellence to thrive.
- Our goal is a sound mind in a sound body governed by a compassionate heart.
- We provide a traditional academic program that challenges both the intellect and the imagination.
- An excellent foundation in core subjects and basic skills is balanced with lively experiences in art, music, and theatrical performance.
- We believe the enjoyment of physical activity and healthy competition is vital to a complete education; we advocate a lifetime commitment to good sportsmanship and good health.
- Our school bases its actions on kindness, honesty and respect for self and others, and an appreciation of our differences.
- Adults and children alike accept responsibility to live these values daily through their words and deeds.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||494 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||68 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||17 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$31,044|
|Tuition Notes||New student fee of $1500. Tuition for the upcoming school year is set in January.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Mimi Petrie|
|Admissions Associate||Patty Molinari|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Flag Football, Soccer, Swimming, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Flag Football, Soccer,
Swimming, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Debate, LEGO Robotics Team
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Curtis Creative Guild, Orchestra
- About Curtis: Curtis School is an independent, coeducational day school serving elementary-aged students from Development Kindergarten through Grade 6. Established in 1925, it is one of Los Angeles's oldest and most respected elementary schools.
- Enrollment: The school enrolls approximately 490 students and employs 68 full-time faculty.
- Overview: Curtis School balances traditional and innovative pedagogical approaches in providing a well-rounded, challenging education for the whole child. We develop children`s academic, intellectual, creative, athletic, and social potential through dynamic teaching and by actively engaging students in their own learning and moral growth. Our programs are designed to nurture our students to become critical thinkers, effective communicators, respectful collaborators, and resilient problem solvers. Our educational program focuses on character development and inclusivity.
- Campus: Curtis School sits on 27 acres of gentle hills and grassy playing fields in the Santa Monica Mountains. The contemporary, Spanish-influenced architecture of the buildings blends with the beauty of the natural surroundings to create an inviting, open setting that accommodates the wide variety of activities and events that are a part of our programs.
- Facilities: The school's facilities include two DK classrooms, three classrooms in each of Grades K-2, and four classrooms in each of Grades 3-5. The 6th Grade program is departmentalized, with 7 home base classes of approximately 9 students per class. In addition to the grade-level classrooms, Curtis has the following specialized facilities: a multi-purpose pavilion; an auditorium; a library; a makerspace; a computer lab classroom and a mobile computer lab; one lower elementary and two upper elementary science classrooms; two visual arts classrooms; three performing arts classrooms; three grade-level playgrounds; three covered lunch areas; two athletic fields; indoor and outdoor basketball and volleyball courts; boys' and girls' locker rooms; a swimming pool; and a Parents Association room.
- How to Apply: Only the first 200 applications received by the Admissions Office are considered in the applicant pool for Developmental Kindergarten and Kindergarten. Applications are available online on September 4 for admission for the 2019-2020 school year. Applications for admission to grades 1-6 must be received by December 1.
- See the Curtis School website for more information: https://www.curtisschool.org
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Los Angeles Grades: NS-8 | 266 students
16000 Mulholland Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90049
(310)476-6421 0.2 NS-8