Early Childhood Develop Center
Early Childhood Develop Center Photo #3 - Nature based experiences, including gardening activities are an important of the children's science curriculum. During the summer, a gardening teacher engages the children in a wide variety of plant based experiences.
Early Childhood Develop Center Photo #4 - Children use a wide variety of tools, including binoculars, to explore and learn about the world.
Early Childhood Develop Center Photo #5 - Drawing and writing is an important aspect of the curriculum as it supports fine motor development, documentation and representing their world, and the pre-writing exposure. Here the three year olds are drawing pictures of watermelons in their nature journals. Red, green, black and yummy!
Early Childhood Develop Center Photo #6 - Loving and caring relationships are developed between children, families, teachers and program staff at ECDC fostering growth, development and learning. Positive and encouraging relationships are the foundation of high quality early childhood education.
Early Childhood Develop Center Photo #7 - Creative arts including fine art, music and drama are integrated throughout the early childhood curriculum. This child visited the Ansel Adams exhibit at the local museum and then created artwork similar to one of the Ansel Adams photos.
Early Childhood Develop Center Photo #8 - Experienced based learning is an important element of the curriculum, including field trips into the community for children in the 4's, 4/5's and kindergarten classes. This trip offered the opportunity to observe the St. Joseph River and the beautiful sculpture "Keeper of the Fire."
Early Childhood Development Center (ECDC) - NAEYC Accredited and licensed preschool, kindergarten and child care program located on the campuses of Saint Mary's College and the University of Notre Dame.
MissionECDC implements early childhood "Best Practices" that foster the children`s healthy social, emotional, physical, cognitive and creative development.
ECDC`s active learning environment fosters the development of respect, responsibility, resourcefulness and responsiveness and includes highly qualified teachers, low teacher child ratios, child centered emergent curriculum and collaborations with families.
ECDC is a model program for professional development, college student practicum experiences and research for faculty and students.
- School Type: Alternative School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-Kindergarten
- Students: 291 students
- Average class size: 20 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 22%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
- Located on the Notre Dame and Saint Mary's campuses in South Bend, IN. ECDC is a NAEYC accredited, non-profit early childhood program serving 300 children ages 2 years through kindergarten with a staff of 45 professionals. ECDC at Notre Dame serves approx. 175 children enrolled with a combination of full time and part times schedules, ages 2 through kindergarten in 6 classrooms. ECDC at Saint Mary's serves approx. 125 children enrolled with a combination of full time and part time schedules ages 3 through 5 years in 4 preschool classrooms. Both ECDC programs are housed in bright and welcoming spaces providing state of the art early childhood experiences fostering a love of learning while developing competent, confident learners. ECDC serves diverse populations of families in the Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and South Bend communities. ECDC at Saint Mary's is open to the public while ECDC at Notre Dame only serves families affiliated with the University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's College. For over 35 years, ECDC has earned its stellar reputation for excellence with a dedicated and skilled group of professional teachers, involved families and college students in a vibrant community. Both ECDC programs offer a summer day camp program rich with recreational activities and natural world learning experiences for children through age ten. For more information, please visit the ECDC website at www.nd.edu/~ ecdcnd or call ECDC-ND at 574-631-3344 or ECDC-SMC at 574-284-4693
Endorse Early Childhood Develop Center. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Books Set In Private Schools
Enjoy a range of subject matter from recollections to murder mysteries, all set in private schools here at home and abroad.
Keep Ransomware Out of Your School
Small organizations like private schools are just as vulnerable to ransomware attacks as large organizations are. Here's how to deal with ransomware in your school.
Endow A Teaching Position
Endowing a teaching position accomplishes many things for the private school that gave you the foundation for your adult life.