- The mission of ECHELON ACADEMY is to provide students with a supportive and challenging environment that is responsive to all learning styles, emphasizes learning through the arts, and integrates creative and critical thinking throughout the curriculum.
- ECHELON ACADEMY was started to provide private, quality education to elementary, middle, and high school students (grades K-12) who want to succeed in a small, untraditional school setting that caters learning to each individual student.
- ECHELON ACADEMY encourages students to unlock their greatest potential for achievement through small group instruction.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA)
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit or Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dylsexia, Language/Learning Disabilities, ADHD, High Functioning Autism|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||21 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||American Government, American Government, American Literature, Art History, Biology, Calculus 1 & 2, Chemistry, English, Foreign Languages, Human Communications, Philosophy, Physics 1 & 2, Precalculus, Psychology, Sociology, Statistics, US History, World History|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$34,416|
|Tuition Notes||International Student Fee: $2,400 Housing Fee: $22,000|
- Internships:Internships provide an avenue for students to gain job skills and work experience as well the opportunity to build a resume and enchance college applications through community service. These experiences not only provide hands-on experiences, but they also assist in refining career goals. In 9th grade, students begin with an in-house internship. Subsequently, students volunteer at internships in the community.
- Dual Enrollment College Courses: Dual Enrollment allows academically advanced students to be enrolled in college courses while attending Echelon Academy, enabling students to build a college transcript. these postsecondary classes will transfer to the student's college after high school graduation. College courses supplant the correlating high school course supplant the correlating high school course at Echelon Academy and Echelon teachers provide academic support to the students who are dually enrolled. In order to participate in this program, students must meet the Echelon attendance requirements as stated in the next section.
- Before and After School Programs: All our students have access to our before and after school programs. These programs provide students with homework support and tutoring from our qualified staff.
- Reading and Writing: Reading and Writing are integrated naturally as they should be, and include the many different purposes of writing: to entertain, to explain, to perform, to persuade, and to reflect. Our Reading/Language Arts model encompasses rich reading materials that allow for critical work in the areas of the five essential components of literacy: fluency, phonemic awareness, vocabulary development, phonics, and comprehension. Multi-sensory strategies provide the opportunity for each student to build on reading strengths, yet improve in weaker areas. Applied skills practice in identified areas increase effective reading and a daily reading log creates habitual reading enjoyment and builds reading confidence.
- Math: Math is provided at each individual level and is taught through flexible grouping. An interactive approach using manipulatives, real world application, and math games are the key to our successful math program. Reinforcement and review of basic skills keep the math foundation strong while also enabling students to reach problem solving levels commensurate with those skills. Advanced math students embark on a rigorous academic direction preparing our graduates to go on to higher education.
- Science: Through hands-on Science and creative opportunities for exploration, Echelon's engaged students develop new ways of looking at the world. Science is taught through experimentation, research, and inquiry while lab experiences provide the opportunity to use observation as well as analytical and critical thinking skills. Echelon reinforces the interdependence between math and science.
- Social Studies: Learning Social Studies broadens each student's understanding of the world. The social studies curriculum in the lower grades focuses primarily on our local communities and how they function, and the history of Maryland. The upper grades study the early United States, ancient civilizations, modern world history and U.S. history. geography, which includes maps, countries, capitals, major geographical landmarks, and topography of the entire world, is infused throughout the social studies curriculum.
- Arts and Physical Education: Art, music, drama and physical education are a part of our daily schedule for all grades. Every month students participate in a different recreational sport such as tennis, field hockey, lacrosse, and soccer. During the last week of each month, our students have their physical education class at the indoor pool. Frequently throughout the year, we have special events featuring visiting artists and performers who come to our school to work with our students.
- Grading: Academic progress is monitored through an online gradebook for parents to track grades and communicate with teachers.Field TripsAll lower, middle, and upper school students average two field trips per month as well as a trip to the indoor pool. Trips provide an educational experience both socially and academically and allow us to connect to the community. Experiential learning is at its finest as we complement classroom learning with field trips that make education come alive. Since our instruction integrates the arts, we also include cultural field trips which expose students to new performances and exhibits. This rounds out our holistic child approach by building interests on the leisure side of our students and nurturing cultural appreciation at the same time. ESL Programs are Available.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Baltimore Grades: K-8 | 92 students
1750 E Fairmount Ave
Baltimore, MD 21231
(443)923-9100 25.2 K-8
- Ellicott City Grades: 1-12 | 64 students
3421 Martha Bush Dr
Ellicott City, MD 21043
(410)465-1352 14.9 1-12
- Silver Spring Grades: K-8 | 58 students
9115 Georgia Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910
(301)588-8048 9.9 K-8
Wonderful environment for my child. She feels great.
- Posted by Parent - Emma