Sandy Spring Friends School
- Our progressive, coed, college preparatory Quaker school for students age 3 (preschool) through Grade 12 sits on a pastoral 140-acre campus in the heart of Montgomery County, Maryland, midway between Washington, DC, and Baltimore.
- Sandy Spring Friends School is a welcoming, inquiry-based learning community. A challenging academic curriculum, enriched arts program, inclusive athletics, and service opportunities promote intellectual excellence, collaboration, and strength of character. Recognizing the unique worth of each person, the School strives to challenge each student to reach their potential and develop individual talents.
- Sandy Spring Friends School students are engaged in the learning process; enjoy the integration of academics, arts, and athletics; and seek to become constructive, caring and effective citizens of the world. We hope you will join our thriving community of scholars, performers, athletes, artists, thinkers, and doers.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||603 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||64 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry (Advanced Chemistry), AP Comparative Government & Politics, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Lit. & Comp. (British Lit.), AP English Lit. & Comp. (Dramatic Lit.), AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language and Culture, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics, AP United States History, AP World History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Tony McCudden|
|Admissions Associate||Dawn Griffith|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Climbing, Cross Country,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Rock Climbing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Co-ed Basketball, Kickball, Morley Games
- Our progressive, coed, college preparatory, PK-12 Quaker School sits on a pastoral 140-acre campus in the heart of Montgomery County, Maryland, midway between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. An ideal setting for intellectual contemplation and collaboration, athletic training, diverse extracurricular pursuits, outdoor exploration, urban excursion, and personal growth, Sandy Spring Friends School offers a deep and rigorous academic curriculum, character education rooted in universal Quaker principles, and a diverse and international student body that reflects today's global community. We are looking for students who will be engaged in the learning process, who will enjoy the integration of academics, arts and athletics, and who are seeking to become constructive, caring, and effective citizens of the world.s.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bethesda Grades: PK-12 | 1101 students
5100 Edgemoor Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
(202)537-6900 10.9 PK-12
- Olney Grades: 9-12 | 1200 students
17301 Old Vic Boulevard
Olney, MD 20832
(240)283-3367 1.1 9-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.