- Barrie School is committed to delivering a challenging curriculum informed by best practices in independent school education.
- Our learning environment supports all facets of a student`s experience, including his/her academic, social, athletic, and artistic development.
- The Barrie curriculum helps students to become thoughtful and engaged global citizens.Our low student-to-faculty ratio enhances the unique opportunities for students to grow and develop while helping to instill a lifelong love of learning.Starting with our premier Montessori program for children age 18 months through grade 5, students are engaged in an experiential approach to learning.
- At Barrie, we facilitate the change from Montessori to progressive education as students advance through the Middle and Upper Schools.
- Barrie`s Upper School prepares students for admission to and success at a wide range of colleges and universities.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Institute for Independent Education
AIMSMDDC (Assoc. of independent Maryland and DC Schools)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||283 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||55 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||11 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 18 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please visit the Barrie School website for information on tuition. http://www.barrie.org/admission/tuition|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,600|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Ingrid Yuryev|
|Admissions Associate||Beryl Chafin|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||19 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Film Club, Flashlight: Student Journalism, French Club, Instrumental Ensemble, International Thespian Society, Music/Rock Band Club, National Honor Society, Robotics Club, School Store, Spanish Club, Sports, Student Government Association, TEAMS Club, Technical Theater, Theater, Ultimate Frisbee Club, Writing Club, Yearbook, Yoga Clu|
- Please visit the Barrie School website for information on how to apply.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Potomac Grades: NS-12 | 777 students
10601 Falls Rd
Potomac, MD 20854
(301)299-8500 9 NS-12
- Sandy Spring Grades: PK-12 | 603 students
16923 Norwood Road
Sandy Spring, MD 20860
(301)774-7455 3.9 PK-12
- Bethesda Grades: PK-12 | 1101 students
5100 Edgemoor Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
(202)537-6900 7 PK-12
I have three children who are lucky enough to attend the Barrie School. This is not just a school, this is a community that is devoted to making this world a better place by instilling strong values, top level education, and a sense of purpose into each of their students.Barrie has a place for everyone and everyone has a place at Barrie. The student body is small and incredibly diverse. As a student at Barrie you learn quickly to embrace what makes you unique and to embraces differences. It is not unusual to have my house full of students ranging from 9th to 12th graders with a huge variety of cultural backgrounds, all laughing together. Watching them makes my heart happy.In terms of education, Barrie hits its mark. The faculty at Barrie is as unique and diverse as the students themselves. Notice I refer to them as faculty because these are not just teachers, these are university level faculty. The teachers are passionate about the subjects they teach and that passion oozes through in their teaching. The Humanities program (where they combine both history and English into one) is a corner stone of this school. The students don't just read texts, they explore literature, they dissect history. They are pushed to think critically about events that have shaped our global world. The Model UN program is another standout feature of this school. With some of the best guidance from the Model UN faculty, these students are pushed to work outside their comfort zone to begin to see the world from so many perspectives.And then there is science and math.....the physics teacher is a true standout. Every student waits to get into his class, and no one wants to leave it. He brings science to life for these young people, and he makes scientist out of them.Math is another stand out. The math department is ridiculously amazing. The faculty here could revile any college professor. Students get so much support that they truly sore. It is not unusual to have a group of AP Calculus students meeting on a Saturday morning with their teacher, eating bagels and working on math.There are so many opportunities at Barrie. The standout here is that these kids learn who they truly are, and then thrive.
- Posted by Parent - Ingrid
My children love Barrie, and they are getting an excellent, well-rounded Montessori education. They are able to work with my older child (just finished kindergarten) right where he needs, even though his skills range from pre-K in handwriting to 2nd grade level in math. The teachers are loving yet gently enforce the rules and don't take any nonsense from my strong-willed children. The values of outdoor time, movement, social skills and the joy and wonder of learning are exactly what I love and cherish to this day about my own early elementary education.
- Posted by Parent - Amanda ZM