- Barrie School is committed to delivering a challenging curriculum informed by best practices in independent school education.
- Our learning environment supports all facets of a student`s experience, including his/her academic, social, athletic, and artistic development.
- The Barrie curriculum helps students to become thoughtful and engaged global citizens.Our low student-to-faculty ratio enhances the unique opportunities for students to grow and develop while helping to instill a lifelong love of learning.Starting with our premier Montessori program for children age 18 months through grade 5, students are engaged in an experiential approach to learning.
- At Barrie, we facilitate the change from Montessori to progressive education as students advance through the Middle and Upper Schools.
- Barrie`s Upper School prepares students for admission to and success at a wide range of colleges and universities.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Institute for Independent Education
AIMSMDDC (Assoc. of independent Maryland and DC Schools)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||283 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||55 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||11 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 18 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please visit the Barrie School website for information on tuition. http://www.barrie.org/admission/tuition|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,600|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Ingrid Yuryev|
|Admissions Associate||Beryl Chafin|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||19 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Film Club, Flashlight: Student Journalism, French Club, Instrumental Ensemble, International Thespian Society, Music/Rock Band Club, National Honor Society, Robotics Club, School Store, Spanish Club, Sports, Student Government Association, TEAMS Club, Technical Theater, Theater, Ultimate Frisbee Club, Writing Club, Yearbook, Yoga Clu|
- Please visit the Barrie School website for information on how to apply.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Potomac Grades: K-12 | 777 students
10601 Falls Rd
Potomac, MD 20854
(301)299-8500 9 K-12
- Sandy Spring Grades: PK-12 | 603 students
16923 Norwood Road
Sandy Spring, MD 20860
(301)774-7455 3.9 PK-12
- Bethesda Grades: PK-12 | 1101 students
5100 Edgemoor Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
(202)537-6900 7 PK-12
My children love Barrie, and they are getting an excellent, well-rounded Montessori education. They are able to work with my older child (just finished kindergarten) right where he needs, even though his skills range from pre-K in handwriting to 2nd grade level in math. The teachers are loving yet gently enforce the rules and don't take any nonsense from my strong-willed children. The values of outdoor time, movement, social skills and the joy and wonder of learning are exactly what I love and cherish to this day about my own early elementary education.
- Posted by Parent - Amanda ZM