- Friends Academy, established in 1810, is a coeducational day school, located on a beautiful 65-acre campus in North Dartmouth, MA and serves children from early childhood through grade 8.
- The rigorous academic curriculum is enriched by offerings in world languages, technology, art, music, drama, library, and physical education.
- Highlights of our program include Spanish beginning in grade 1, Latin in grade 6, personal laptop computers issued to each student in the Middle School, fall and spring music theater, and competitive sports year-round.
- Our Outdoor Education program offers a state-of-the-art high and low ropes course along campus trails and canoeing on the Paskamansett River which runs through the campus.
- The Sally Borden Program at Friends Academy offers a unique educational opportunity for children with language-based learning differences such as difficulty acquiring reading, spelling, written expression, math, organizational and/or study skills due to dyslexia and/or a specific learning difference.
- Our diverse student body comes from various Massachusetts and Rhode Island communities and graduates enter leading preparatory schools.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia / Language-based learning differences|
|Total Students||249 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||42 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||See current school year tuition rates on school's web site.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Cheryl Deane|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Track and FieldBasketball, Cross Country,|
Field Hockey, Lacrosse,
Soccer, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||After-School Enrichment courses may include dance classes, Chorus and Musical Theatre, frisbee, mountain biking, skateboarding, yoga frisbee, skateboarding, yoga, After-School Enrichment courses may include dance classes,|
Chorus and Musical Theatre,
- Children must be age 3 and toilet trained by September 1 to be eligible for our Early Childhood Program. Children must be age 5 by September 1 to be eligible for our kindergarten.
Profile last updated: 05/11/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- PortsmouthGrades: NS-8 | 185 students
110 Sandy Point Ave Litle Slocum Farm
Portsmouth, RI 02871
- ProvidenceGrades: NS-12 | 362 students
301 Butler Ave
Providence, RI 02906
- NewportGrades: NS-8 | 196 students
180 Rhode Island Ave
Newport, RI 02840
- ProvidenceGrades: NS-8 | 198 students
75 John Street
Providence, RI 02906
- New BedfordGrades: PK-8 | 215 students
180 Orchard St
New Bedford, MA 02740
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.