Garces Memorial High School
- Garces Memorial is an academically challenging, college preparatory, co-educational Catholic high school, founded in 1947 by the Christian Brothers and Dominican Sisters of St. Thomas Aquinas.
- Today it is operated by the Diocese of Fresno and staffed by a lay faculty and administration who are inspired by their Catholic faith to minister to the needs of the student body.
- Garces Memorial alumni have attended the most prestigious colleges and universities.
- They are successful and valuable members of their communities spanning across the United States and abroad as leaders in their faith, in their chosen professions, and in their commitment to serve others.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||614 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||41 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|Average SAT score||1170|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Polos, khaki pants/shorts or skirt.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 7 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,895|
|Tuition Notes||$7,895 Catholic Tuition $8,195 Non-Catholic Tuition|
|Admissions Director||Gordon Westhoff|
|Admissions Associate||Katie Faulkner|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water PoloBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Drill Team, Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||and many more organizations., ASB, Campus Ministry, Christian Life Community, InterAct, Key Club, S.O.S. Club, Student Government, Theatre|
- Extracurricular Activities: On an annual basis, 85% of the Garces student body participate in some type of extracurricular activity. Garces Memorial offers a variety of opportunities for involvement including student government, theatre, service clubs and campus ministry.
- Athletics: In the history of the CIF central section, the athletic program at Garces Memorial ranks 4th all time with 111 section team championships. Garces competes in the Southeast Yosemite League at Division I & II for playoffs in all sports except our recent athletic addition of water polo which competes at Division III.
- Community Service Requirement: All Garces students are expected to give back to the community in the form of service to others. In addition to the subject area requirements, students in the class of 2013 must complete sixty (60) hours of community service in order to graduate and participate in any commencment activities
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bakersfield Grades: PK-8 | 325 students
2516 Palm St
Bakersfield, CA 93304
(661)326-7955 3.2 PK-8
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.