- The Advantage of Being Independent and Catholic As an independent, Catholic school, Gilmour Academy stands alone in its ability to prepare students who thrive.
- Our mission is rooted in educating the mind and empowering the heart, ensuring that every student develops to their fullest potential.
- From 18 months to 18 years, everything at Gilmour from the curriculum to the academic extension programs to extracurriculars is focused on cultivating four enduring competencies that are most important in developing students as leaders of their generation. Those enduring competencies are effective communication, critical thinking and problem solving, leadership and moral responsibility. These are introduced in the Montessori preschool programs, and then expanded upon and developed throughout the Lower, Middle and Upper Schools.
- Gilmour graduates emerge primed for the next step and confident in their ability to make the world a better place.
Gilmour Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Ohio for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Other school association(s)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||663 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 17%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science A, AP English: Lang. & Comp., AP English: Lit. & Comp., AP Lab Physics, AP Physics C: Mech. & Elec./Magnetism, AP Physics I, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History, AP World History|
|Average SAT score||1290|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 18 / rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Beth Lazzaro|
|Admissions Associate||Vincent M. Bonacci|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Diving, Figure Skating, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Diving, Figure Skating,
Gymnastics, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
- Gilmour Academy, founded in 1946 by the Brothers of Holy Cross from the University of Notre Dame, Indiana, is an independent, coeducational Catholic preparatory school with enrollment from the preschool through high school levels. As a Catholic School in the Holy Cross tradition, Gilmour Academy has chosen as its mission the education of the mind and the heart. Gilmour instills in each student a strong sense of personal self-worth through personal achievement. The world our students will soon lead will require them to be persons of great courage and moral stamina, with an enthusiastic, lifelong desire to learn. By instilling a strong sense of self-worth through individual achievement, Gilmour helps students reach for their personal best. We regard each student as a unique learner and support our students' efforts to achieve their greatest potential, helping to make their education here a great adventure. Students are often pleased to discover that their best is better than they ever thought possible.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cleveland Grades: NS-12 | 1115 students
5000 Clubside Rd and 12465 County Line Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44124
(440)423-4446 3.3 NS-12
- Cleveland Grades: 9-12
3470 Rocky River Drive
Cleveland, OH 44111
(216)251-6788 19.8 9-12
- Bath Grades: NS-9 | 549 students
2315 Ira Road
Bath, OH 44210
(330)666-1118 23.9 NS-9
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.