High Bluff Academy
5.00 (5 reviews)
- High Bluff Academy offers a high quality college preparatory program for students who desire a more personalized approach to education.
- Our small group classes range from 3-12 students and all classes are also available on a one-to-one basis.
- Our curriculum and schedule closely follow those of Torrey Pines High School and 150 to 200 students from the public schools attend our group classes each semester.
- Our full-time high school program is limited to 50 students in grades 9-12.
- High Bluff Academy is approved to issue F-1 visas to foreign students. We welcome students of all nationalities.
High Bluff Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADD, ADHD, Mild Learning Differences, ESL/ELL|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||48 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|Average SAT score||1290|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,000|
|Tuition Notes||International student tuition is $19,500. Students requiring one-on-one courses will pay an extra fee per course.|
|Admissions Director||Jill Duoto|
|Admissions Associate||Nancy Novotny|
- High Bluff Academy is known for outstanding teachers and the high quality of its academic program. Students are taught how to learn and how to organize their time and strengthen their writing and math skills for college. HBA offers two types of programs to fit the individual needs of students.Traditional ScheduleStudents in this program attend group classes from 7:45am to 2:30 pm Monday-Friday. Students take up to six academic courses and two electives during the week. In our Academic Success class, students learn study skills and get help with homework. Students can also sign up for private or small group tutoring during their school day. Juniors and seniors can take our Seminar class, which includes SAT and ACT test prep and takes them step-by-step through the college selection and application process. Physical education classes are taught at the nearby Bay Club Sports Resort with a certified personal trainer.Flexible scheduling optionStudents can opt to create their own school schedule with a combination of our group classes and one-on-one courses. High level athletes, models, and actors usually choose this option in order to accommodate their training, competition and work schedules. All academic courses are held Monday through Thursday. Fridays are reserved for electives and club meetings. Those students who have competitions, an internship or job can opt out of the Friday classes.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Diego Grades: 6-12 | 82 students
11555 Clews Ranch Road
San Diego, CA 92130
(858)481-0882 1.4 6-12
- Pasadena Grades: 9-12 | 565 students
169 South Saint John Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91105
(626)817-4000 97.8 9-12
- Vista Grades: 3-12 | 64 students
216 W Los Angeles Dr
Vista, CA 92083
(760)630-4035 18.2 3-12
The process of learning should be enjoyable. High Bluff Academy does this. The small class sizes, the caring teachers including Jill and Nancy, and the individualized learning is priceless. HBA made all the difference in the world to my son. He looked forward to going to school. A quote from my son, " I've never met teachers like HBA who care so much". That says it all. I highly recommend High Bluff.
- Posted by Parent - Cathy
Your search for the ideal private school can stop here. What an amazing school. My daughter attended a local public school for ninth and tenth grade and she experienced relentless bullying, thus affecting her grades. How can someone learn when one does not feel safe? Once she moved to High Bluff, her true self was able to blossom. She earned all A's in her senior year and was awarded the HAWK award, considered to be the highest honor given by the school. She loved her fellow students and teachers and my husband and I knew they loved her in return. The school is small enough so each teacher can spend the time needed to allow all the students to reach their full potential. I encourage you to reach out to the school - visit the classrooms and schedule an interview with Jill, the school Director. This what we did and we are so grateful we took that first step to securing a bright future for our daughter.
- Posted by Parent - Karen Dovigi
We couldn't be more happy with High Bluff Academy. The teachers are amazing and work with the individual needs of the student. They make learning an enjoyable experience. My daughter comes home from class animated and upbeat instead of stressed out!!
- Posted by Parent - Tracy
Motivated and knowledgeable teachers and administrators, friendly students and small class sizes. My son loves every hour he spends there. Highly recommended!
- Posted by Parent - alex.
I have two sons that currently attends Torrey Pines High School. My oldest son struggled academically in math and science courses so he attended High Bluff and excelled in a smaller ratio environment and got an "A". My younger son is currently attending High Bluff and I know he will be successful as well. The teachers take the time to make sure the students understand the material and do well on test. Jill is very knowledgable in education. I like her hands on approach in guiding parents. I highly recommend High Bluff to any parent who want the best education for their kids.
- Posted by Parent - trish
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.