High Bluff Academy
High Bluff Academy offers a high quality college preparatory program for students who desire a more personalized approach to education.
Our small group classes range from 3-12 students and all classes are also available on a one-to-one basis.
Our curriculum and schedule closely follow those of Torrey Pines High School and 150 to 200 students from the public schools attend our group classes each semester.
Our full-time high school program is limited to 50 students in grades 9-12.
High Bluff Academy is approved to issue F-1 visas to foreign students. We welcome students of all nationalities.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 60 students
- Yearly Tuition: $19,500
- Average class size: 8 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
High Bluff Academy ranks among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
ADD, ADHD, Mild Learning Differences, ESL/ELL
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
Average SAT score
Average ACT score
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
International student tuition is $21,500. Students requiring one-on-one courses will pay an extra fee per course.
- High Bluff Academy is known for outstanding teachers and the high quality of its academic program. Students are taught how to learn and how to organize their time and strengthen their writing and math skills for college. HBA offers two types of programs to fit the individual needs of students.Traditional ScheduleStudents in this program attend group classes from 7:45am to 2:30 pm Monday-Friday. Students take up to six academic courses and two electives during the week. In our Academic Success class, students learn study skills and get help with homework. Students can also sign up for private or small group tutoring during their school day. Juniors and seniors can take our Seminar class, which includes SAT and ACT test prep and takes them step-by-step through the college selection and application process. Physical education classes are taught at the nearby Bay Club Sports Resort with a certified personal trainer.Flexible scheduling optionStudents can opt to create their own school schedule with a combination of our group classes and one-on-one courses. High level athletes, models, and actors usually choose this option in order to accommodate their training, competition and work schedules. All academic courses are held Monday through Thursday. Fridays are reserved for electives and club meetings. Those students who have competitions, an internship or job can opt out of the Friday classes.
The process of learning should be enjoyable. High Bluff Academy does this. The small class sizes, the caring teachers including Jill and Nancy, and the individualized learning is priceless. HBA made all the difference in the world to my son. He looked forward to going to school. A quote from my son, " I've never met teachers like HBA who care so much". That says it all. I highly recommend High Bluff.
Your search for the ideal private school can stop here. What an amazing school. My daughter attended a local public school for ninth and tenth grade and she experienced relentless bullying, thus affecting her grades. How can someone learn when one does not feel safe? Once she moved to High Bluff, her true self was able to blossom. She earned all A's in her senior year and was awarded the HAWK award, considered to be the highest honor given by the school. She loved her fellow students and teachers and my husband and I knew they loved her in return. The school is small enough so each teacher can spend the time needed to allow all the students to reach their full potential. I encourage you to reach out to the school - visit the classrooms and schedule an interview with Jill, the school Director. This what we did and we are so grateful we took that first step to securing a bright future for our daughter.
We couldn't be more happy with High Bluff Academy. The teachers are amazing and work with the individual needs of the student. They make learning an enjoyable experience. My daughter comes home from class animated and upbeat instead of stressed out!!
Motivated and knowledgeable teachers and administrators, friendly students and small class sizes. My son loves every hour he spends there. Highly recommended!
I have two sons that currently attends Torrey Pines High School. My oldest son struggled academically in math and science courses so he attended High Bluff and excelled in a smaller ratio environment and got an "A". My younger son is currently attending High Bluff and I know he will be successful as well. The teachers take the time to make sure the students understand the material and do well on test. Jill is very knowledgable in education. I like her hands on approach in guiding parents. I highly recommend High Bluff to any parent who want the best education for their kids.
Endorse High Bluff Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
With so much uncertainty in the world today and a pandemic further confounding our lives, it's reasonable for parents to want to protect their children whenever and wherever possible? But overprotecting or bubble-wrapping? Well, that's another matter.
Get Your Act Together!
We take a look at the other college admissions test and offer some resources for test preparation.
Why Small Class Sizes Work
You want your child to receive plenty of individual attention. That's one of the reasons most parents send their children to private school.