Hilltop Montessori School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Working bee hives on site produce honey for the school and over 15 gardening areas produce healthy snacks. Each class has an outdoor garden and the campus boasts a greenhouse, composting, native plant trails and numerous outdoor opportunities. The campus is certified with the National Wildlife Federation.
Hilltop Montessori School is accredited with The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (AdvancED, SACS), The Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS) and its early childhood program is accredited with The American Montessori Society (AMS). Hilltop is the only school in Alabama to have all three accreditations.
The curriculum at Hilltop exceeds state guidelines and offers the opportunity for each learner to progress at his/her own comfort level, while being challenged. Hilltop has graduated 6 National Merit Scholars in the last decade and its alumni have won numerous other awards, including past Intel Science and Engineering Fair winners, honor societies and gold winners in the National Spanish
Hilltop Montessori was established in 1996 and has been accredited since 2004. The school is run by an administrative structure that has been in place since that time and is governed by a board of directors. The school is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) corporation.
Enrollment spans from 18 months through 8th grade and includes a science lab, art studio, gym, a full teaching community kitchen, multi-media library, a stage for performances, two music rooms and 11 classrooms.
Students from ages 18 months through 8th grade receive daily Spanish immersion classes, music, art and physical education. The school also has a comprehensive technology plan and curriculum plan in place designed to prepare the students for the 21st century. An authentic, accredited Montessori setting also ensures a solid preparation for any college preparatory high school.
- Located in a LEED certified green building, Hilltop Montessori School educates the whole child in the beautiful town of MT Laurel. Daily foreign language is offered for all students, regardless of age.
- HMS also begins instruction in technology in first grade and has an innovative technology curriculum which includes i-Pads, smartboards and laptops, as well as hands on instruction in powerpoint, blogging, website design, word processing, excel and newsletters.
- Individualized academic curriculum in a nurturing, small environment. 200 students enrolled, ranging in ages from 18 months through 8th grade.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||somewhat-call for more information|
|Total Students||201 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 17 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,500|
|Tuition Notes||Cost varies on academic level and is available on the website.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Michele Scott Wilensky|
- Hilltop Montessori is the only school in Alabama to have all three accreditations: AdvancED, SAIS and AMS. HMS is also the only private school in the South located in a LEED certified building with the U .S. Green Building Council. The nearly 7 acre, 3.5 million dollar facility is about to get another expansion, which will double the value of the property and will add longer hours for working parents, an expanded fine arts area, science lab, multi-media center/library and more classrooms. Outdoor classrooms, working gardens, an apiary and highly trained and certified faculty offer the best education. The school has graduated 6 National Merit Scholars since its inception in 1996 and has an extremely low teacher turnover rate. Administration has been place since 1998 and the school has been accredited for the last 15 years.
- People that viewed Hilltop Montessori School also viewed these schools: Joseph S Bruno Montessori Academy.
The success of Hilltop since 1996 speaks for itself. Accredited under three organizations (AdvancED, SAIS and AMS), the school is located in a 3.5 million dollar campus, with plans this year for a Phase Three expansion. Daily foreign language, technology integration and a strong emphasis on environmental education in a LEED certified building allow for an individualized, Montessori education. Strong academics prepare students for the best secondary schools nationally and the school has already graduated 5 National Merit Scholars; their graduates win numerous awards and scholarship opportunities. It's a great balance between Montessori and "the real world" as the students excel in leadership and academic opportunities upon completion.
- Posted by Parent - mscot
Hilltop Montessori School's mission is to provide a quality Montessori education in an environment which fosters a child's love of learning and a respect for self, others, community and the world. Serving students of various backgrounds and abilities from 18 months through 8th grade since 1996.
- Posted by Administrator - hms
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.
September 29, 2017
Here are a dozen or so girls' schools' public thoughts about themselves and their missions.