Creative Montessori School
Creative Montessori School is located on a two-acre campus in the heart of Homewood within walking distance to Homewood Park and the public library.
Convenient to both downtown Birmingham and over-the-mountain suburbs, CMS offers its students an unparalleled private school education in a warm and loving atmosphere where the focus is on the individual child.
Always ahead of its time, CMS has been nurturing confident and enthusiastic learners since 1968, when visionary educator Barbara R. Spitzer opened our school with 18 students in a church basement. At that time, CMS became the first Montessori school in the Birmingham area; the first private school in the area to be purposely racially integrated from inception; and the first area school to offer science, world geography, and foreign language to preschoolers.
Today, CMS enrolls 225 students at the toddler, preschool, and elementary levels (18 months through 6th grade) from 21 different zip codes.
A Montessori education helps each child develop his or her fullest potential and cultivates a life-long love of learning.
For more information on Creative Montessori School, visit cmskids.org.
- School Type: Montessori School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Students: 252 students
- Average class size: 24 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 25%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Tuition is dependent on program. Please see cmskids.org for our full tuition schedule.
- Creative Montessori School (CMS) is dedicated to providing an authentic Montessori environment for our students. We value each child`s unique potential and nurture our students` inherent ability to meet challenges with divergent thinking skills, self-confidence, adaptability, and resilience. Children at CMS learn all the same things that children in a traditional school will learn - plus practical knowledge such as conflict resolution, social responsibility, and environmental stewardship. It is how they learn and how they feel about learning that is quite different and truly valuable. Montessori classrooms are designed to foster intellectual curiosity by facilitating individualized, independent, purposeful work within a warm and peaceful setting. The result is children who fall in love with learning. Students are allowed to learn at their own pace under the caring and thoughtful guidance of a professionally trained Montessori teacher. Founded in 1968, CMS is Birmingham`s first Montessori school; the first local private school to be racially integrated from inception; and the first to offer science, world geography, and foreign language to preschoolers. Today, CMS enrolls students from 21 zip codes, and is located on a 2-acre campus in the heart of Homewood. Our affordable tuition makes exceptional education accessible to families with diverse socioeconomic backgrounds.
Profile last updated:
Endorse Creative Montessori School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
5 Ways To Protect Your Child From Bullying
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.
Questions! Questions! Questions!
If you are beginning to think about sending your child to private school, you probably have a lot of questions. Here are some answers to your more common questions.
Marketing Your School: Welcoming New Students
Why is welcoming students so important? Because it makes new students and their families feel that they are part of the school community from Day 1. More about this valuable marketing tool here.