Creative Montessori School
- Creative Montessori School is located on a two-acre campus in the heart of Homewood within walking distance to Homewood Park and the public library.
- Convenient to both downtown Birmingham and over-the-mountain suburbs, CMS offers its students an unparalleled private school education in a warm and loving atmosphere where the focus is on the individual child.
- Always ahead of its time, CMS has been nurturing confident and enthusiastic learners since 1968, when visionary educator Barbara R. Spitzer opened our school with 18 students in a church basement. At that time, CMS became the first Montessori school in the Birmingham area; the first private school in the area to be purposely racially integrated from inception; and the first area school to offer science, world geography, and foreign language to preschoolers.
- Today, CMS enrolls 225 students at the toddler, preschool, and elementary levels (18 months through 6th grade) from 21 different zip codes.
- A Montessori education helps each child develop his or her fullest potential and cultivates a life-long love of learning.
- For more information on Creative Montessori School, visit cmskids.org.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||225 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||24 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is dependent on program. Please see https://cmskids.org/admissions/4 for our full tuition schedule.|
- Creative Montessori School (CMS) is dedicated to providing an authentic Montessori environment for our students. We value each child`s unique potential and nurture our students` inherent ability to meet challenges with divergent thinking skills, self-confidence, adaptability, and resilience. Children at CMS learn all the same things that children in a traditional school will learn - plus practical knowledge such as conflict resolution, social responsibility, and environmental stewardship. It is how they learn and how they feel about learning that is quite different and truly valuable. Montessori classrooms are designed to foster intellectual curiosity by facilitating individualized, independent, purposeful work within a warm and peaceful setting. The result is children who fall in love with learning. Students are allowed to learn at their own pace under the caring and thoughtful guidance of a professionally trained Montessori teacher. Founded in 1968, CMS is Birmingham`s first Montessori school; the first local private school to be racially integrated from inception; and the first to offer science, world geography, and foreign language to preschoolers. Today, CMS enrolls students from 21 zip codes, and is located on a 2-acre campus in the heart of Homewood. Our affordable tuition makes exceptional education accessible to families with diverse socioeconomic backgrounds.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Birmingham Grades: PK-8 | 315 students
2019 6th Avenue North
Birmingham, AL 35203
(205)252-2535 2.8 PK-8
- Birmingham Grades: PK-8 | 317 students
4901 Old Leeds Rd
Birmingham, AL 35213
(205)956-9731 5.8 PK-8
Every private school parent is encouraged to help the school in whatever way he can. Here are some things you can do to make a contribution to your school.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.