Interlochen Arts Academy
- Aspiring artists at Interlochen Arts Academy receive individual attention and regular performance opportunities.
- Known for its nurturing atmosphere and motivated students, Interlochen offers intensive college-preparatory academics and pre-professional training in the arts.
- Graduates are admitted to selective colleges, universities and conservatories.
- Academy students regularly earn national recognition from organizations such as YoungArts and Scholastic and Interlochen has had 46 Presidential Scholars in the Arts, more than any other high school in the country, public or private. Interlochen Arts Academy is part of Interlochen Center for the Arts, a 2006 recipient of the National Medal of Arts.
Interlochen Arts Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Michigan for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||555 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 15%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||82 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$40,940|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is variable based on grade level at entry; tuition cost does not include boarding fees. Please see our website for further detail.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Acting, Ballet, Band, Choir, Creative Writing, Filmmaking, Guitar, Jazz Band, Modern Dance, Motion Picture Arts, Music Composition, Musical Theatre, Opera Workshop, Orchestra, Theatre, Theatre Design and Production, Visual Arts
- Admission requirement vary by arts major. Please visit the Academy website for details.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 374 students
35 Keyes Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94129
(415)561-5800 1946.8 9-12
- San Francisco Grades: NS-8 | 370 students
2222 Broadway St
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415)563-2900 1945.7 NS-8
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 490 students
755 Ocean Ave
San Francisco, CA 94112
(415)585-1725 1948.7 9-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.