Interlochen Arts Academy
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #2 - The Academy`s cutting-edge Contemporary Music track provides comprehensive training in musicianship, songwriting, audio production, and music business. Students interact with industry professionals through master classes and touring opportunities.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #3 - Arts Academy dance students explore both ballet and contemporary dance, presenting two full-length ballets and several contemporary dance showcases each academic year.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #4 - Arts Academy theatre students hone their skills while rehearsing classic and contemporary plays and musicals. The Academy presents six professionally produced plays and musicals each year.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #5 - Visual Arts students study in the Dow Center for Visual Arts, a beautiful, light-filled structure equipped with window-lined studios. The center also contains a freestanding ceramics studio and a professional-level gallery space.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #6 - The Writing House is home to the Academy`s Creative Writing program and provides plenty of spaces for instruction, collaboration, and private writing practice as creative writers study fiction, nonfiction, poetry, playwriting, and hybrid genres under the instruction of world-class artist-educators.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #7 - Film & New Media students enjoy access to professional-quality filmmaking equipment including a sound stage and editing suites. In-class activities and personal projects encourage students to discover the greatest resource of all - each other.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #8 - Arts Academy students enjoy one-on-one interaction with gifted faculty who are leaders in the arts and education. Each faculty member brings a wealth of real-world experience to their role as a mentor.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #9 - Students exercise and play in the state-of-the-art Dennison Center for Recreation and Wellness, which features a workout room, fitness studio, game room, climbing wall, and gymnasium.
- Interlochen Arts Academy is the nation`s premier boarding arts high school, where emerging artists transform passion and potential into purpose. Students pursue pre-professional training in music, dance, theatre, visual arts, creative writing, comparative arts, and film alongside a robust academic curriculum, preparing them to excel in the arts and beyond.
- The Academy is home to more than 500 gifted artists from 44 U.S. states and 29 countries. It is a global community, united by a driving passion for the arts, where cross-cultural friendships are formed and worldviews are expanded.
- Academy students spend four hours per day immersed in their chosen artform, nurtured by distinguished artist-educators. Our faculty have performed in the nation`s finest orchestras, danced with professional companies, acted on stage and screen, published poetry and prose works, exhibited their works in major galleries, and worked for television studios.
- Interlochen`s innovative curriculum provides plenty of opportunities for inter- and multi-disciplinary collaboration. Students are encouraged to think critically and creatively, using their art as a vessel for creative change-making.
- Academy students present more than 200 performances each year, including full-length ballets, plays, concerts, musical theatre performances, creative writing readings, film screenings, and dance performances. Students of all majors regularly perform and present their work off-campus during local and national tours.
- Interlochen students regularly receive accolades in the nation`s top youth arts competitions, such as YoungArts and the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. Interlochen has produced two National Student Poets and 46 Presidential Scholars in the Arts-more than any other high school.
- The Academy prepares students for excellence in college and beyond. In 2019, 96% of graduates were accepted into one of their top-three colleges. Recent graduates have entered artistic and academic programs at The Juilliard School, Harvard College, Stanford University, Eastman School of Music, The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science & Art, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Columbia University, the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, and other top programs.
Interlochen Arts Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Michigan for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||555 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||82 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$40,940|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is variable based on grade level at entry; tuition cost does not include boarding fees. Please see our website for further detail.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Acting, Ballet, Band, Choir, Creative Writing, Filmmaking, Guitar, Jazz Band, Modern Dance, Motion Picture Arts, Music Composition, Musical Theatre, Opera Workshop, Orchestra, Theatre, Theatre Design and Production, Visual Arts
- Admission requirement vary by arts major. Please visit the Academy website for details.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 374 students
35 Keyes Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94129
(415)561-5800 1946.8 9-12
- San Francisco Grades: K-12 | 1095 students
2222 Broadway St
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415)292-3109 1945.7 K-12
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 490 students
755 Ocean Ave
San Francisco, CA 94112
(415)333-4021 1948.7 9-12
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.