5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (248) 585-9150
Japhet School Photo #2 - Japhet School's discovery-based Preschool and Kindergarten teach children through play, encouraging a lifelong love of learning.
Japhet School Photo #3 - Japhet School creates purposeful opportunities for older and younger students to play and learn together, creating a community rich in joy, respect, and kindness.
Japhet School Photo #4 - Japhet School provides 1-1 Chromebooks with wireless connectivity for all middle-schoolers, and Technology Class for elementary grades. Middle school students use Google Classroom proficiently.
- Japhet School is an award-winning independent school in the Metro Detroit area.
- Japhet teachers see every child as a student with unlimited potential.
- Small classrooms and dedicated educators provide a nurturing environment where children feel comfortable and excel.
- In addition to academic excellence, Japhet's character education model develops the skills needed for public speaking, leadership roles, and conflict resolution.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
Association of Independent Michigan Schools (AIMS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||40 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Serving students from preschool through 8th grade, Japhet's small classrooms enable teachers to challenge students and get to know each child well, with integrated technology, hands-on learning, and individual and collaborative projects. At every age, leadership skills are developed and practiced. The school has a unique focus on oral communication, giving students confidence in sharing their voice. A national award-winning character education curriculum builds a peaceful community and gives graduates an ethical foundation.Families come to Japhet for many reasons. Some are drawn to its emphasis on character education and to its peaceful school environment. Many seek a challenging curriculum not restricted by age or grade. Others come for an affordable and nurturing private school, without the teaching of a specific faith. All families benefit from Japhet teachers' ability to see the unlimited potential in every child. Call to schedule a personal tour.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Birmingham Grades: 6-12 | 315 students
1051 Oakland Avenue
Birmingham, MI 48009
(248) 203-7300 2.7 6-12
- Birmingham Grades: 1-12 | 174 students
1755 E Melton Rd
Birmingham, MI 48009
(248) 642-1150 1.6 1-12
- Royal Oak Grades: PK-8 | 89 students
508 S Williams St
Royal Oak, MI 48067
(248) 546-6555 2.9 PK-8
- Royal Oak Grades: PK-6 | 609 students
1621 Linwood Ave
Royal Oak, MI 48067
(248) 541-4622 1.6 PK-6
Both my son and daughter graduated from Japhet School and had a very happy, engaged education. They formed relationships with their teachers which served them extremely well in high school. Japhet School is in every way a community setting, and the children are there to learn. Teachers see themselves as true partners and expect the best from every student. The student body is more diverse than the public schools in the Royal Oak area -- Japhet seems to attract families from all over. My wife and I are very pleased with our decision to send our children there and we highly recommend it for anyone looking for a school that is progressive and has high expectations of students both academically and in their expression of character. Well done, Japhet.
- Posted by Parent - TomS
We are beyond pleased with our son's first year at Japhet. The Character education and small class sizes are what attracted us to the school and they exceeded all our expectations. He is very well prepared to enter into kindergarten. When we were looking for a preschool we were so disappointed in what we found. Lots of schools offered fun play and activities but no other offered those along with academics and conflict resolution like Japhet. To say that the preschool offers fun play & activities is actually an understatement. The whole atmosphere is highly creative, educates while fostering imagination and wonder. We considered holding our son back a year simply because he loved the program that much. There were several opportunities for parents to be involved in the classroom and the school offered many special family fun nights for those who could not make it during the day. The students, from pre-k-8th, are so open, kind, and emotionally intelligent. We are very proud to have our son attend Japhet.
- Posted by Parent - Cestb
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.