Leeway School is a not-for-profit special education program for students from 18 months to five years of age.
The school is certified through the N.Y.State Education Department. A full range of services are provided.
We are a special education preschool and aid in the development of children with special needs.
Services: speech & language, fine and gross motor, behavioral, delayed development, early intervention and general education.
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: Prekindergarten
- Enrollment: 90 students
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Speech, Language, fine motor, gross motor, behavioral, autistic, aspergers, autism spectrum, developmental delays
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Penny J Lewis
- OUR SCHOOL Our school lies on a beautiful 4 acre property in Sayville, NY. The size of our campus allows us to offer both outdoor activities and spacious classrooms. Leeway is a private non-profit organization that is funded through school districts, the Suffolk County Department of Health, Bureau of Services For Children With Special Needs. OUR CLASSES As noted, we are a special education preschool and serve the needs of children from the ages of 18 months to 5 years. Both half day and full day sessions are available.Leeway has both self contained, and integrated classes. In self contained classes all of the children are receiving services. In our integrated classes, we have typically developing students in conjunction with children who are receiving services. Every student participates in a program that includes music, physical education, pre-literacy, readiness skills, science, nature & ecology, as well as health, nutrition and fitness. OUR SPECIAL SERVICES We offer speech and language therapy, physical and occupational therapy, as well as psychological counseling and parent training for children and their families.There are also Early Intervention classes, starting as early as 18 months of age, with class sizes of no more than 7 children. Additionally, we serve youngsters with PDD/NOS and Autism Spectrum diagnoses, as well as children with language and other delays. PARTICIPATING SCHOOL DISTRICTS Some of the school districts we work with in Suffolk County include: Babylon, Bayport / Blue Point, Bayshore, Brentwood, Center Moriches, Central Islip, Commack, Connetquot, Deer Park, East Islip, Eastport / South Manor, Fire Island, Harborfields, Hauppauge, Islip, Lindenhurst, Longwood, Middle Country, North Babylon, Northport / East Northport, Patchogue / Medford, Rocky Point, Sachem, Sayville, Smithtown, South Country, Three Village, West Babylon, West Islip and William Floyd.
Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the application deadline for Leeway School - Special Education Preschool?
The application deadline for Leeway School - Special Education Preschool is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
All of my children started off with leeway. Wonderfully helpful school with very caring staff and teachers.
Best school ever! There aren't enough words that can describe how wonderful everyone is at this school.
I am so happy with the progress my son has made at this school. Thank you Leeway!
I highly recommend this school! My daughter attended this school for 2 years before entering Kindergarten and made a wonderful improvement!
Endorse Leeway School - Special Education Preschool. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Exploring Educational Savings Accounts: A Guide for Parents
This comprehensive article explores the different educational savings accounts available to parents for private K-12 education and tertiary education. It provides detailed explanations of each account, including the 529 College Savings Plan, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and Custodial Accounts. The article cites applicable legal authorities and emphasizes the importance of informed decision-making by consulting with legal and financial professionals.
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
October 30, 2023Volunteering at Your Children's Private School
Discover the many meaningful ways parents can get involved at their children's private school and make a positive impact on the educational journey. From PTA involvement to sharing specialized skills, find out how your contributions can strengthen the school community.