Leeway School - Special Education Preschool
5.00 (3 reviews)
- Leeway School is a not-for-profit special education program for students from 18 months to five years of age.
- The school is certified through the N.Y.State Education Department. A full range of services are provided.
- We are a special education preschool and aid in the development of children with special needs.
- Services: speech & language, fine and gross motor, behavioral, delayed development, early intervention and general education.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||90 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||24 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Penny J Lewis|
- OUR SCHOOL Our school lies on a beautiful 4 acre property in Sayville, NY. The size of our campus allows us to offer both outdoor activities and spacious classrooms. Leeway is a private non-profit organization that is funded through school districts, the Suffolk County Department of Health, Bureau of Services For Children With Special Needs. OUR CLASSES As noted, we are a special education preschool and serve the needs of children from the ages of 18 months to 5 years. Both half day and full day sessions are available. Leeway has both self contained, and integrated classes. In self contained classes all of the children are receiving services. In our integrated classes, we have typically developing students in conjunction with children who are receiving services. Every student participates in a program that includes music, physical education, pre-literacy, readiness skills, science, nature & ecology, as well as health, nutrition and fitness. OUR SPECIAL SERVICES We offer speech and language therapy, physical and occupational therapy, as well as psychological counseling and parent training for children and their families.There are also Early Intervention classes, starting as early as 18 months of age, with class sizes of no more than 7 children. Additionally, we serve youngsters with PDD/NOS and Autism Spectrum diagnoses, as well as children with language and other delays. PARTICIPATING SCHOOL DISTRICTS Some of the school districts we work with in Suffolk County include: Babylon, Bayport / Blue Point, Bayshore, Brentwood, Center Moriches, Central Islip, Commack, Connetquot, Deer Park, East Islip, Eastport / South Manor, Fire Island, Harborfields, Hauppauge, Islip, Lindenhurst, Longwood, Middle Country, North Babylon, Northport / East Northport, Patchogue / Medford, Rocky Point, Sachem, Sayville, Smithtown, South Country, Three Village, West Babylon, West Islip and William Floyd.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- West Sayville Grades: K-8 | 50 students
37 Rollstone Avenue
West Sayville, NY 11796
(631)589-2180 2.3 K-8
- Bohemia Grades: NS-PK
3502-3504 Veterans Memorial Hwy
Bohemia, NY 11716
(631)580-5221 2.4 NS-PK
- Bohemia Grades: PK | 106 students
2900 Veterans Memorial Hwy
Bohemia, NY 11716
(631)218-4949 3.6 PK
- Patchogue Grades: PK-8 | 319 students
1 Division St
Patchogue, NY 11772
(631)475-0422 3.7 PK-8
- Patchogue Grades: NS-8 | 113 students
179 E Main Street
Patchogue, NY 11772
(631)758-2250 4.1 NS-8
Best school ever! There aren't enough words that can describe how wonderful everyone is at this school.
- Posted by Parent - tmerp
I am so happy with the progress my son has made at this school. Thank you Leeway!
- Posted by Parent - jenny
I highly recommend this school! My daughter attended this school for 2 years before entering Kindergarten and made a wonderful improvement!
- Posted by Parent - grucc
Nearby Homes for Sale
July 16, 2018
As you’ve been doing your boarding school research, you’ve likely seen ISEE/SSAT score submission requirements for your target schools, and understand how important scores are to the admissions process. Unfortunately, tremendous candidates can get bypassed because they were not able to demonstrate what they knew on test day.
July 13, 2018
Schools for the artistically gifted child are in short supply.
June 26, 2018
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.