- Marist School is an independent, Roman Catholic, college-preparatory day school enrolling approximately 1,100 boys and girls in grades seven through twelve.
- It is owned and operated by the Society of Mary (more commonly known as the Marists), a religious congregation of priests and brothers founded in France in 1836.
- Marist School was founded in downtown Atlanta in 1901 and is the oldest Catholic school in the Atlanta area.
- The school moved to its current site on Ashford Dunwoody Road in 1962.
- The mission of Marist School is to form the whole person in the image of Christ through instruction grounded in religious values, the teachings of the Catholic Church, and the spirit of the Society of Mary.
- The mission is advanced through communal pursuit of excellence in academic, religious, extracurricular, leadership, and service programs.
Marist School places among the top 20% of private schools in Georgia for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Other school association(s)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||1080 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||86 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1333|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 28|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,030|
|Admissions Director||Jim Byrne|
|Admissions Associate||Angela Elledge|
|Endowment Size||$23.1 million|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Academic Team, Blue and Gold Newspaper, Broadcasting, Campus Ministry, Community Service, Debate, Honor Societies, Peer Leadership, Robotics, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Chorus, Dance, Drama, Marching Band
- The unique mission of Marist School to form the whole person in the image of Christ is created by blending three distinct traditions: the pursuit of academic excellence, the heritage of Catholic education, and the spirit of the Society of Mary.
- As an academic community, Marist School maintains excellence in teaching and high expectations for learning in an environment that values scholarship and achievement.
- Marist offers its students a curriculum that cultivates extensive knowledge and academic skills, intellectual acumen, formation of character, aesthetic appreciation, and physical well-being, in order to prepare them for college studies, civic leaderships, and the lifelong pursuit of truth, goodness, and beauty.
- As a Catholic school, Marist is guided by the educational mission and doctrinal teaching of the Catholic Church.
- Respecting religious diversity, Marist welcomes a significant number of students from other traditions.
- Through formal instruction, common worship, and religious activities, Marist assists students in forming their consciences by emphasizing the dignity and integrity of the individual, the primacy of transcendent values and Jesus' call to love and serve others, especially the poor.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Atlanta Grades: 9-12 | 1085 students
2674 Johnson Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30345
(404)636-3023 3.5 9-12
- Atlanta Grades: K-12 | 1673 students
4075 Paces Ferry Rd NW
Atlanta, GA 30327
(404)262-3032 7.6 K-12
- Atlanta Grades: PK-12 | 987 students
1509 S Ponce De Leon Avenue NE
Atlanta, GA 30307
(404)377-3491 9 PK-12
- Atlanta Grades: K-12 | 1868 students
1424 W Paces Ferry Road NW
Atlanta, GA 30327
(404)609-6202 6.9 K-12
To prep for the preschool admissions test or not to prep. That is the question.
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Sometimes a regular school is not the right fit for a child. Perhaps she needs an alternative school.