Nysmith School for the Gifted
5.00 (6 reviews)
Nysmith School for the Gifted Photo #2 - Everyone loves the rock climbing wall in our Silver Wing gym!
Nysmith School for the Gifted Photo #3 - Beginning in kindergarten, children change classes with every subject so teachers teach only the subjects they love the most.
Nysmith School for the Gifted Photo #4 - Our 13.25 acre campus includes four soccer fields, eight basketball courts, three playgrounds, a 1/4 mile track, and a modern school building with 75,000 square feet of indoor space. We've created a stimulating learning environment that is welcoming, cheerful, supportive, and energizing.
Nysmith School for the Gifted Photo #5 - Nysmith students receive 30 minutes of computer instruction every day. Here, a fifth-grader works in Photoshop Elements as part of her computer instruction.
Nysmith School for the Gifted Photo #6 - Nysmith believes that academics are fun. We diversify the academics up to four grade levels above grade to help teach children at the level that is right for them.
Nysmith School for the Gifted Photo #7 - Second-graders rehearse for a music performance. Nysmith students have music twice a week and put on two major performances each year.
Nysmith School for the Gifted Photo #8 - Fourth-graders learn the value of the Roman army formations as part of their social studies. The goal is to bring history alive.
Nysmith School for the Gifted Photo #9 - 8th-grade graduation. The Nysmith School is known for making school fun. Families have moved from around the country specifically for their children to attend the school.
- Established in 1983, The Nysmith School is a family-owned and -operated private school with over 550 students from preschool to 8th grade.
- At The Nysmith School, we believe that a world-class education is a joy-filled experience. Your child will be inspired every day by passionate teachers, challenging content, and interactive activities. Imagine your child in an environment designed to stretch their creativity and critical thinking, guide them to explore the complexities of a complicated world, and help them become confident, compassionate, global citizens.
- The Nysmith School was named a "Top 10 School In The World" by the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth.
- The Nysmith School also received the "Tommy Award" from Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (named the #1 high school in America in 2016 by Newsweek) for "Nysmith's amazing success in preparing students for the rigors of a TJ education" and for the "disproportionate achievement" of Nysmith students at TJ.
- The school is located just off the Dulles Toll Road at Exit 9A (Chantilly/Herndon) in Herndon, making it convenient to both Fairfax and Loudoun County residents.
- "How a Small School for Gifted Kids in the D.C. Exurbs Gets Big Results" - 02/25/2016 - From the Washington Post's February 2016 Education Issue.
- Nysmith Named a Top 10 School in the World - 03/01/2015 - The Nysmith School had 27 students who achieved high honors, which places it among the top 10 schools in the world for the 2015 Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented ...moreYouth Talent Search. hide
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)|
National Association for the Gifted
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||570 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Nysmith dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,750|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool (Beginners & Pre-K): $25,750; K- 3: $33,350; 4 - 8: $37,900The Nysmith School does not conduct any fundraising or capital drives to raise additional funds.|
|Admissions Director||Eileen Balberde|
|Admissions Associate||Katy Meadows|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurricular|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Over 100 before- and after-school clubs
- With two teachers in every classroom and low teacher-student ratios, students have the time and attention of subject area specialists who are deeply committed to helping every student become the best version of themselves. The Nysmith School balances the highest levels of academic content with a commitment to every student's success. We strive for developing each child's potential without stress, offering just the right balance of challenge and support.
- The Nysmith educational philosophy is based on creative problem solving and individualized, accelerated programs for reading and math, daily science, computers, logic, foreign language, and much more to make learning exciting.
- The Nysmith School has an engaging and fun curriculum, minimizes repetition and homework, and teaches children up to four grade levels above grade level. Says Head of School Ken Nysmith, "When I walk with visitors through the school, they are struck by how much fun the children are having, yet at the same time, they are amazed how advanced the concept is that the children are working on. At The Nysmith School, we work hard to teach each child to their potential, and to make school fun and stimulating. You can have advanced academics without pressure."
- The Nysmith School sits on over 13 acres. Our state-of-the-art facilities provide a stimulating learning environment that is welcoming, cheerful, supportive, and energizing.
- The Nysmith School offers personal tours daily as well as monthly Open Houses. Come see the fun for yourself and learn why parents from all over the country have relocated their families to attend the Nysmith School.
- Limited enrollment available - inquire today!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Both of my kids went to Nysmith starting from preschool. Nysmith school is one of few schools in the area that offers preschool to children 3 years and older with a strong academic setting. As a full time working mom I searched for a school I could leave my three year old son and daughter; while feeling confident that not only they are cared for, but also learn a lot by the end of the day. Nysmith not only delivered, but exceeded my expectations. Upon graduation, my son was well prepared for high school and later academic challenges in life (dental school). My daughter also started Nysmith at age 3 and graduated by 8th grade. I wish they offered high school as well! I highly recommend this school. Now all three of my nieces and nephews (6,4,3 respectively) attend, and another nephew will be going there next year. I recommend this school to any family who would like to start their child's education at an early age, in a strong academic yet nurturing environment.
- Posted by Parent - Sherry S
15 years on and off and still wowed. Over the course, things have changed, just like life, it evolves. The heart and soul of the school remains untouched and unparalleled. Having experience at 5 private schools around the country, Nysmith continues to surpass our expectations. The devotion of the Nysmith family to serve our youth, and the faculty/staff who nurture and inspire our kids and help them be the best they can be, is something you just don't find often. They hire serious teachers who serve as exceptional role models and we are privileged to be a part of this special place. We continue to be amazed at the value of a Nysmith education - both in superior quality and in extremely fair tuition costs.
- Posted by Parent - Michelle D.
Great school with small classroom size and student:teacher ratio. Chose this school for the STEM subjects and differentiated learning.
- Posted by Parent - Herndon Mama
Nysmith is a gem. Our son totally lost interest in school in 4th Grade and just blossomed again when he joined Nysmith in 5th Grade. His teachers are absolutely fantastic. They really care about him and are able to challenge him at the right level every day. The curriculum is highly stimulating and well balanced, and definitely supports in-depth thinking. The school handles differentiation like no other school in the area. Nysmith is different and works for bright children who are eager to understand the breadth and depth of the world in which they live, at the pace that is right for them. The children we met at Nysmith have a wide range of interests, a deep knowledge of what they are interested in, and always want to know more just like our son. We are impressed by what we see, we get exactly what we were looking for our son, and even beyond. Our son really feels home.
- Posted by Parent - X and HT Rame
Nysmith is truly a special school. The environment and teaching is truly exceptional. I was always struck by how happy the kids always were and what a great nurturing atmosphere. Without a doubt the best place I could have had for my child. Everyone at this school cares so much about education and the all round experience for your child.
- Posted by Parent - MarieT
Our 3 kids attended Nysmith from pre-K to 8th grade and it was the best decision of our lives. Our kids never wanted to miss a day (I know, that's not the norm!), and went on to a great high school (TJ), and their 1st choice colleges. But, most importantly, they were more than ready academically as they went out into the world, as well as happy and confident. The teachers, who are all experts and passionate about the subjects that they teach, treated the kids with kindness and respect, welcomed their questions, nurtured their curiosity, and helped my kids discover their gifts and abilities, sometimes before they even knew what they were. I highly recommend this school. Or, better yet, don't listen to me..... look at their website, schedule a tour and a couple of student visit days for your child. See for yourselves what Nysmith is all about!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Denise B
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.