Our Lady Of Sorrows School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Founded in 1946, Our Lady of Sorrows School is located in the heart of McAllen, Texas near the Texas-Mexico border.
- Continuing its tradition of "excellence in education," the school instills in the children who enroll, Catholic values, a strong academic preparation, critical thinking skills, and inculcates active social service responsibility.
- Our faculty provides strong support to students allowing them to take risks, assume responsibility for their learning, and to seek intellectual challenges.
- We, the faith community of OLSS, have as our primary mission to ensure a Christian environment where each child may excel spiritually, intellectually, physically and socially.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Other special emphasis association(s)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2006|
|Total Students||590 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 35%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||29 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||20:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||28 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$4,500|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for Kinder program is $4800. Two annual required fundraisers per family as outlined in the tuition commitment contract.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,120|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Choir, Jr. Technology Club, Legion of Mary, National Junior Honor Society, Spanish Club, Student Council, Worship Committee|
- People that viewed Our Lady Of Sorrows School also viewed these schools: St. Thomas The Apostle Catholic School.
I was only a student at OLS for two years (''76 - ''77) since my father was always getting transferred to different cities due to his job. However, those two years proved to be the most valuable in my young academic life. The critical thinking skills and the academic, as well as the social responsibilities we were taught put me way ahead of other students when I moved to other schools! I now have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and a Master's degree in Sociology that I received at Texas A&M International University. I owe a great debt of gratitude to my strict, but wonderful teachers that I had: Sister Kenneth, Sister Phyllis & especially Sister Nancy. May God bless then all...I miss them so!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - juant
I have son 17 & daughter 16; attended OLS 4k-8th. Now they are a Senior Going to Science Academy (rank #8 best high school in America By Newsweek 2007) And Junior attending IB (ranked first in Texas and 17 Nation wide) repectively. (best high schools in the area and top 20 in USA). Our Four year old just started In OLS and We Know he''ll do Great. Thank You GOD! The Glory is Yours!
- Posted by Parent - lupin
January 18, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 18, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.
January 18, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.