Our Lady Sacred Heart Academy
5.00 (5 reviews)
Tel: (815) 399-3021
- Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Academy strives to produce the true Christian the supernatural man who thinks and acts constantly and consistently in accordance with right reason illumined by the supernatural light of the example and teaching of Christ.
- We direct all our actions toward the honor and glory of God through the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Rooted in the classical liberal arts Daily Rosary Appreciation for our Western heritage and Catholic traditions
- Pro-life culture Catholic faith unites and illuminates all aspects of study
- Service hours include Eucharistic AdorationHistory from a Catholic perspective with the Incarnation as the focal point
- Daily practice of the virtues Orton-based explicit phonics K-2 instruction
- Spiritual and corporal works of mercy Proven, traditional teaching methods
- Frequent priest visits School-wide academic/science fair Modest uniform and dress
- Chesterton Schools Network affiliation Suzuki Violin Instruction Catechesis of the Good Shepard
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
National Association of Private Catholic and Independent Schools (NAPCIS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||77 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$4,900|
|Tuition Notes||$3,700 for Pre-K through 8th grade $4,900 for High School $700 per class for Homeschool Families $350 for choir for Homeschool Families|
|Admissions Director||Lori Veitch|
|Admissions Associate||Mitzi Braun|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, WrestlingBasketball, Cross Country,|
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
National Honor Society, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
- We would like to introduce our new Headmaster, Evan Williams beginning June, 2020. You may reach him at email@example.com
- Affiliated with the Chesterton Schools Network
- Offering Suzuki Violin instruction
- Catechesis of the Good SHepard
- Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Academy is committed to the philosophy of educating the whole person through the formation of the will, the intellect and the character in the light of the Catholic faith. Each student is seen as a precious gift from God whose eternal goal is Heaven. We direct all of our actions to the greater glory of God, and to training our students to recognize and follow his will in a challenging academic environment rooted in the classical liberal arts tradition. This education exposes students to the good, the true and the beautiful, and is designed to form individuals free from the political agendas and opinions of others, free to make correct judgments and decisions based on objective truth and a properly formed conscience. We shall consider the objectives of the Academy first as a school with a Catholic philosophy; second as a school teaching students in the primary and secondary levels of education; and third as a school forming citizens of America. As a school with a Catholic philosophy, the Academy has the following objectives: To develop in our students a profound understanding of the Catholic faith, and a deep knowledge and love of God;To encourage them to grow in personal holiness by developing and practicing a life of prayer, by receiving the sacraments frequently and devoutly and by modeling their lives on those of Christ, his blessed Mother and the saints;To foster an unwavering loyalty and devotion to the Holy See and the teaching of the Magisterium of the Church;To help them to grow in understanding and appreciation of the liturgical and cultural traditions of the Catholic Church;To promote the dignity of human life from conception to natural death through a decidedly pro-life culture and activities;To provide the intellectual and moral weapons our students need in order to go out into our secular, materialistic society and transform the culture of relativism and death into a culture of truth and life;To foster refinement in manners, speech and dress in accordance with Catholic ideals, and to lead students, in accordance with their Catholic heritage, to select and promote only what is good and wholesome in art, music, drama and other forms of entertainment;To encourage them to develop as leaders, especially as moral and religious leaders, through the personalization of and commitment to truth, and the application of Christian principles to personal conduct and public life.As a school teaching students in the primary and secondary levels of education, the Academy has the following objectives:To teach students to think intelligently, critically and wisely;To teach students to express themselves confidently, with clarity and competence;To develop habits of orderly thinking through the medium of an analytic study of language, particularly the Latin language;To promote character by insisting upon responsible application to study and submission to intellectual and moral discipline;To promote an intelligent appreciation of beauty;To promote physical health as part of a well-rounded education;To promote proper social attitudes and habits that reflect a truly Catholic way of life.As a school forming citizens of the United States of America, the school has the following objectives: In general, to develop a knowledge and appreciation of our American heritage as a republican form of government, and to foster loyalty to American ideals; In particular, it seeks to develop pupils:Who appreciate the fact that America was founded on the sound principle that man has received from God inalienable rights which the state has not given and cannot take away;Who insist that the American government exists for the benefit of the individual citizens, and not the citizens for the benefit of the state;Who will participate actively and conscientiously in the government of our country whether as voters or as officials;Who will contribute to the formation of wise public policies and to the solution of public problems;Who understand their responsibility to promote the general welfare, realizing the effect of their actions upon the lives of others;Who dedicate their lives to advancing the social reign of Christ the King in the United States of America.
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rockford Grades: 9-12 | 855 students
4000 Saint Francis Dr
Rockford, IL 61103
(815) 877-0531 1.5 9-12
- Rockford Grades: NS | 98 students
2918 Glenwood Avenue
Rockford, IL 61101
(815) 971-4176 2.3 NS
- Machesney Park Grades: PK-5 | 99 students
7424 North 2nd Street
Machesney Park, IL 61115
(815) 633-6450 2.6 PK-5
- Loves Park Grades: PK-8 | 374 students
604 Clifford Ave
Loves Park, IL 61111
(815) 633-8255 2.8 PK-8
Our daughter and grandchildren have attended OLSHA. All of them were completely prepared for college life. One even told us that while sitting in her classes at college she was so grateful for what OLSHA taught her, because she knew what to do when many of her college classmates did not. It is a great school that gives students the support they need to become who God intended them to become.
- Posted by Administrator - Gary & Lori Veitch
Jesus' Kingdom should matter more than our success. When a Catholic school feels it must become like the world to win the world, it has not won the world; the world has won it. That being said, I am happy to be a part of OLSHA, a school that doesn't occupy itself with trying to fill itself with students, but filling its students with God.
- Posted by Teacher - Mr. Sartino
Great place. Warm environment that fosters a love of the liberal arts and a truly Catholic Culture.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Marcus Tullius Cicero
OLSHA is a wonderful school with a dedicated and caring faculty. I attended from 4th grade to 12th and have found many of my dear, lifelong friends through this academy. I will be forever grateful for how well the curriculum, the teachers, and the experience of attending OLSHA prepared me for college and life in general. I don't believe a truer formation in our beautiful and rich Catholic Faith can be gained anywhere else in the region!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Angel Veitch
I was a host parent of a foreign exchange student that attended our Lady of the Sacred Heart Academy. It was great to see him develop from the beginning of the school year to the end. He came as a quiet boy who kept to the culture that encouraged he and treated he like family.The teachers spent the extra time with he to ensure that he understood the curriculum. Embraced him He came to the school with no religion and by the example of the staff and students was eager to learn more about the Catholic Faith. Upon visiting years later for Christmas, he made sure that he could go to Christmas Eve Mass. I definitely recommend this school for all families, not only for the great academics, but to be involved with a culture that is not influenced by "today's societal ills." Even when visiting the school today, all students are very respectful and kind. I love their motto!! "Life Liberty, and the Pursuit of Holiness"
- Posted by Parent - Becky
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.