Peconic Community School
- School Type: Alternative School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-6
- Students: 105 students
- Yearly Tuition: $16,800
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- The PCS approach begins with a clear, and bold, vision: education should prepare students to change the world. And, students who know how to learn about the world and who know how to care about the world are in the strongest position to initiate and support positive change. Learning to care about the world is a dynamic and courageous process shared by PCS students and educators; it is a process that unfolds in real time, both in our classrooms and in our community.
- Students at Peconic Community School are engaged and inspired by an integrated curriculum that is relevant to their lives, rooted in their place, and responsive to their interests and inquiries.The PCS approach is integrated: academic disciplines are combined in thematic study. Like real-world projects, student work at PCS is multi-faceted, multi-disciplinary, multi-dimensional and purposeful, incorporating elements of math, science, art, literature, and history within a social context.Curriculum at PCS is place based: students at PCS connect to and learn from our unique place, the East End of Long Island. Its natural resources, its communities of professionals and citizens, its culture and history, anchor the threads of our learning to a local context that is meaningful and accessible to students.
- Learning at PCS is project-based: students engage in hands-on, authentic learning experiences that integrate academic disciplines to develop real world problem solving skills. Students tinker, build, write, calculate, draw, and experiment each day with a curriculum that challenges them to think both critically and creatively.Education at PCS is child-centered: flexible curriculum adapts to the diverse and changing learning styles, intellectual interests, and social-emotional development of our students.
Endorse Peconic Community School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards