Presidio Knolls School
Presidio Knolls School Photo #3 - Students at PKS get out of the classroom and into the world. Our 5th, 6th, and 8th graders complete projects in China. Our 7th graders complete a project in Japan.
PKS is a progressive, Mandarin immersion school serving preschool through 8th grade.
Our mission is to nurture the young heart and mind in a joyful learning environment, where the convergence of progressive education and Mandarin immersion ignites curiosity, connectedness, and engagement in the world.
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-8
- Yearly Tuition: $32,990
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 11
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Cost Notes
Summer camp is typically offered by the week, so tuition varies according to family need.
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
- Presidio Knolls School is a preschool through 8th grade institution. We are fearless, innovative, and globally minded; we are proudly progressive; and we offer a full Mandarin immersion program to a diverse group of students.
- Our preschool and elementary school are "full immersion" with 80% of instruction conducted in Mandarin to ensure our students become as comfortable in their second language as they are in their first. When students enter middle school, 50% of instruction is conducted in Mandarin and 50% is conducted in English (including math) to ensure a more balanced literacy.
- In our Reggio Emilia inspired preschool, lessons emerge from children`s ideas, thoughts, and observations. In this stage, our main goal is to foster a lifelong passion for learning and exploration.
- Our elementary and middle school curriculum is project based and designed to encourage collaboration, problem-solving, and a growth mindset. Our integrated curriculum focuses around Units of Exploration that are broad enough to incorporate multiple disciplines and provides students with the opportunity to explore the aspects of greatest interest.
- By traditional metrics, our students are extremely high achieving (two-thirds are in the 90th percentile or higher in MAP testing in math and English, and 95% of our students are on pace to reach advanced levels in ACTFL benchmarks of Chinese).
Profile last updated: 07/20/2021
Our daughter has just completed her first year at PKS preschool. We are thrilled that the school is adding an elementary program. Although it is child-centric, they really make sure that the kids are learning and not just memorizing. In addition to her everyday routine which include circle time, singing, painting, and projects (all in Mandarin), our daughter also loves the soccer, gymnastic, and kung-fu classes. The facility is sunny, beautiful and clean. We look forward to the next 10 years at PKS.
We just love PKS from the people to the facility. The administrators and teachers truly care for the well-being of our child. The school itself is spacious, clean, and beautiful. Most importantly, our daughter loves learning and going to school.
PKS has a progressive approach to teaching, caring staff, active parents community and a great facility, my daughter loves her school, teachers, and friends.
My daughter attends the PKS preschool.We are really happy here. PKS is the only Mandarin immersion program with a progressive, child led educational approach in San Francisco. This is exactly what we want for our child, and she is thriving there. Her mandarin is improving in leaps and boungs (it is clear that she "thinks in chinese") and she shows a curiosity and confidence that we relish. We are very happy here and don't want this experience to end at the preschool, so we're thrilled that PKS is extending to elementary.
Endorse Presidio Knolls School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Books Set In Private Schools
Enjoy a range of subject matter from recollections to murder mysteries, all set in private schools here at home and abroad.
Keep Ransomware Out of Your School
Small organizations like private schools are just as vulnerable to ransomware attacks as large organizations are. Here's how to deal with ransomware in your school.
Endow A Teaching Position
Endowing a teaching position accomplishes many things for the private school that gave you the foundation for your adult life.