Presidio Knolls School
5.00 (4 reviews)
Presidio Knolls School Photo #3 - Students at PKS get out of the classroom and into the world. Our 5th, 6th, and 8th graders complete projects in China. Our 7th graders complete a project in Japan.
- PKS is a progressive, Mandarin immersion school serving preschool through seventh grade, adding one grade a year until we are a full preK through 8th grade institution by 2020.
- Our mission is to nurture the young heart and mind in a joyful learning environment, where the convergence of progressive education and Mandarin immersion ignites curiosity, connectedness, and engagement in the world.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-7|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||55 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 10|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,490|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Andrea Banks|
|Admissions Associate||Anna Huang|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
- Presidio Knolls School is a preschool through 7th grade institution, and is "the most San Francisco of San Francisco schools." We are fearless, innovative, and globally minded; we are proudly progressive; and we offer a full Mandarin immersion program to a diverse group of students.
- Our preschool and elementary school are "full immersion" with 80% of instruction conducted in Mandarin to ensure our students become as comfortable in their second language as they are in their first. When students enter middle school, 50% of instruction is conducted in Mandarin and 50% is conducted in English to ensure a more balanced literacy.
- In our Reggio Emilia inspired preschool, lessons emerge from children`s ideas, thoughts, and observations. In this stage, our main goal is to foster a lifelong passion for learning and exploration.
- Our elementary and middle school curriculum is project based and designed to encourage collaboration, problem-solving, and a growth mindset. Our integrated curriculum focuses around Units of Exploration that are broad enough to incorporate multiple disciplines and provides students with the opportunity to explore the aspects of greatest interest.
- By traditional metrics, our students are extremely high achieving (two-thirds are in the 90th percentile or higher in MAP testing in math and English, and 95% of our students are on pace to reach advanced levels in ACTFL benchmarks of Chinese).
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Francisco Grades: K-8 | 430 students
250 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415)565-0400 0.6 K-8
- San Francisco Grades: PK-8 | 441 students
333 Dolores Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415)861-5432 0.9 PK-8
- San Francisco Grades: NS-12 | 1074 students
150 Oak Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415)558-2000 0.5 NS-12
- San Francisco Grades: NS-1 | 78 students
299 Dolores St
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415)861-5361 0.9 NS-1
- San Francisco Grades: K-8 | 248 students
3371 16th St
San Francisco, CA 94114
(415)346-9500 1 K-8
Our daughter has just completed her first year at PKS preschool. We are thrilled that the school is adding an elementary program. Although it is child-centric, they really make sure that the kids are learning and not just memorizing. In addition to her everyday routine which include circle time, singing, painting, and projects (all in Mandarin), our daughter also loves the soccer, gymnastic, and kung-fu classes. The facility is sunny, beautiful and clean. We look forward to the next 10 years at PKS.
- Posted by Parent - tgque
We just love PKS from the people to the facility. The administrators and teachers truly care for the well-being of our child. The school itself is spacious, clean, and beautiful. Most importantly, our daughter loves learning and going to school.
- Posted by Parent - egent
PKS has a progressive approach to teaching, caring staff, active parents community and a great facility, my daughter loves her school, teachers, and friends.
- Posted by Parent - egent
My daughter attends the PKS preschool.We are really happy here. PKS is the only Mandarin immersion program with a progressive, child led educational approach in San Francisco. This is exactly what we want for our child, and she is thriving there. Her mandarin is improving in leaps and boungs (it is clear that she "thinks in chinese") and she shows a curiosity and confidence that we relish. We are very happy here and don't want this experience to end at the preschool, so we're thrilled that PKS is extending to elementary.
- Posted by Parent - jerem
Private school tuition seems to go nowhere but up. We look at some of the reasons why and offer the opinion that a private school education is still good value.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.