Rio Hondo Preparatory School
- Rio Hondo Prep seeks to provide a college preparatory education for those students who might otherwise be lost in the crowd.
- We believe that students of average academic abilities can succeed and indeed excel at the college level and in the vocations that follow if they are given personal attention and encouragement.
- We believe that the average student needs an approach to education where stimulus is provided to each student in an array of areas.
- Rio Hondo Prep seeks to provide an atmosphere where the average student can thrive without being sidetracked by disruptive influences.
- We seek to give students their say by adhering to the democratic process.
- We believe that the best discipline is self-discipline and we hold high moral standards based on the Judeo-Christian ethic.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||168 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Literature, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Apr. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please contact School Office for current tuition.|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Dance, Drill Team, Football, Soccer, Softball, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Drill Team, Football,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Assistant Leadership Program, Drill Team, Educational Summer Tours, HS Performance Choir, HS Symphonic Band, Mock Trial, MS Marching Band, Required member of Kare Youth League, Science Camps, Visual Arts|
- All students take a college prep curriculum certified by the University of California. Graduation requirements match UC/CSU entrance requirements. All graduates are college bound.
- RHP Students have been accepted to UCLA, UC Berkeley and all other UC campuses, USC, Claremont Colleges, Northwestern, Penn St., Smith, Columbia and many others.
- All students participate in interscholastic athletics and the arts. Students also participate in month-long summer tours of the United States and Europe.
- Rio Hondo Prep has a long standing tradition of athletic success based on teamwork and an emphasis on building character. The "Kares" have won CIF Championships and State tournament berths in Football, Volleyball, and Basketball.
- Rio Hondo Prep School is a program of the Kare Youth League, a large youth organization serving the San Gabriel valley since 1931. Most RHP students have participated as members of Kare.
- Pearl Preparatory School is the affiliated K-5 elementary school located just one mile away.
- RHP Students enjoy summer and winter camping programs at Mount Kare, a fully developed residence camp in Wrightwood. High school students study natural history, geology, astronomy and wilderness survival in week-long intensive courses.
- A new sports center/auditorium complex opened in January 2012.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pasadena Grades: PK-12 | 326 students
67 W Bellevue Dr
Pasadena, CA 91105
(626)792-5940 7.9 PK-12
- San Gabriel Grades: K-12 | 518 students
8827 E Broadway
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626)292-1156 3.2 K-12
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.