Rio Hondo Preparatory School
Rio Hondo Prep seeks to provide a college preparatory education for those students who might otherwise be lost in the crowd.
We believe that students of average academic abilities can succeed and indeed excel at the college level and in the vocations that follow if they are given personal attention and encouragement.
We believe that the average student needs an approach to education where stimulus is provided to each student in an array of areas.
Rio Hondo Prep seeks to provide an atmosphere where the average student can thrive without being sidetracked by disruptive influences.
We seek to give students their say by adhering to the democratic process.
We believe that the best discipline is self-discipline and we hold high moral standards based on the Judeo-Christian ethic.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||166 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Literature, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History, Honors British Literature, Honors English 9/10, Honors US Literatrue|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please contact School Office for current tuition. International students should contact Mr. Randall Fullerton.|
|Admissions Director||Admissions Director|
|Admissions Associate||Mr. Mark Carson|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Dance, Drill Team, Football, Soccer, Softball, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Drill Team, Football,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Assistant Leadership Program, Educational Summer Tours, Mock Trial, Required member of Kare Youth League, Science Camps
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama productions, Drill Team, HS Performance Choir, HS Symphonic Band, MS Marching Band, Visual Arts
- All students take a college prep curriculum certified by the University of California. Graduation requirements match UC/CSU entrance requirements. All graduates are college bound.
- RHP Students have been accepted to UCLA, UC Berkeley and all other UC campuses, USC, Claremont Colleges, Northwestern, Penn St., Smith, Columbia, NYU and many others.
- All students participate in interscholastic athletics and the arts. Students also participate in month-long summer tours of the United States and Europe.
- Rio Hondo Prep has a long standing tradition of athletic success based on teamwork and an emphasis on building character. The "Kares" have won CIF Championships and State tournament berths in Football, Volleyball, Basketball and Baseball.
- Rio Hondo Prep School is a program of the Kare Youth League, a large youth organization serving the San Gabriel valley since 1931. Most RHP students have participated as members of Kare.
- Pearl Preparatory School is the affiliated K-5 elementary school located just 5 minutes away.
- RHP Students enjoy summer and winter camping programs at Mount Kare, a fully developed residence camp in Wrightwood. High school students study natural history, geology, astronomy and wilderness survival in week-long intensive courses.
- A new sports center/auditorium complex opened in January 2012.
- A major sport center - Kare Park in Irwindale (605 @Arrow Hwy) opened in Fall 2017 providing superb field and court space for both Rio Hondo Prep and Kare Youth League
- International Students who enjoy a full extra-curricular program are encouraged to apply.
- Science Camp highlight Video - at our own Mount Kare in Wrightwood
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Pasadena Grades: PK-12 | 359 students
67 W Bellevue Dr
Pasadena, CA 91105
(626) 792-5940 7.9 PK-12
- San Gabriel Grades: K-12 | 482 students
8827 E Broadway
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 292-1156 3.2 K-12
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
TLTR? There are a couple of private school documents which you need to read.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.