Saint Ignatius High School
Saint Ignatius High School Photo #2 - One of the things students enjoy most about Saint Ignatius is the opportunity to make their experience unique. Aside from involvement in sports, the arts and service, students engage in all sorts of unique programs and extracurricular activities that mesh with their talents and interests.
Saint Ignatius High School Photo #3 - A culture of faith, service and justice exists at Saint Ignatius that no other high school can match. Our students volunteer to help people on the margins, travel on mission trips and march for justiceall because their faith teaches them to.
Saint Ignatius High School Photo #4 - Service, Athletics, and Fine Arts. Entrepreneurship, Agriculture and Pre-Med. The student experience at Saint Ignatius comprises lessons learned in the classroom, on the court and in the community.
Saint Ignatius High School Photo #5 - Saint Ignatius has a rich tradition of developing student-athletes into men of faith and character. The Wildcats field 16 varsity teams, plus intramurals and student sports media groups. Student-athletes learn lessons on and off the field from coaches, chaplains and teammates.
- Located in close proximity to downtown Cleveland in the vibrant and energetic Ohio City neighborhood, the school occupies 23 acres and includes 19 buildings and three athletic fields.
- The school has 120 faculty members, 90 percent of whom hold advanced degrees. Academically, Saint Ignatius is a regional and state leader in National Merit finalists and Advanced Placement scholars. Nearly 100 percent of Saint Ignatius students go on to four-year college programs at universities across the United States and beyond.
- The U.S. Department of Education has designated Saint Ignatius a Blue Ribbon school.
- Thanks to generous alumni and benefactors, nearly 50 percent of Saint Ignatius students receive some form of tuition assistance.
- With 20 programs composing the Christian Action Team, students perform, on average, more than 15,000 hours of non-required service annually.
Saint Ignatius High School places among the top 20% of private schools in Ohio for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Jesuit Secondary Education Association (JSEA)|
National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
Other religious school association(s)
Other school association(s)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$375|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Program fee includes two t-shirts and daily breakfast & lunch.|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2009|
|Total Students||1534 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 17%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||105 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Number of AP Courses||20 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus: AB, AP Calculus: BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP Economics, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP European History, AP French Language, AP Latin, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Research, AP Seminar, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. Government, AP U.S. History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(shirt and tie)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 20|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,300|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,275|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Patrick O'Rourke|
|Admissions Associate||Anne Brennan|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Crew, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||37 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Academic Challenge, Archery Club, Billiards, Broadcast Journalism, Chess Club, Chinese Club, Circus Company, Culinary Club, DJ Club, French Club, Greek Student Union, Latin Club, Math Club, Model UN, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society, NERF Club, Ploughmen, Pre-Health Society, Pre-Law Club, Robotics Club, SADD, School Newspaper, Science Olympiad, Ski Club, Speech and Debate, Stage and Tech Crew, Student Senate, Student Sports Information Department, Yearbook, Young Authors Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Artists in Residence, Band, Chorus, Harlequins
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Golfers for Others, Intramural Sports
- Saint Ignatius High School, which opened its doors September 6, 1886, is a Jesuit college-preparatory school. The school enrolls over 1,500 young men who hail from 96 cities in a nine-county region. Located in close proximity to downtown Cleveland in the vibrant and energetic Ohio City neighborhood, the school occupies 21 acres and includes 19 buildings and three athletic fields. The school has 120 faculty members, 70 percent of whom have spent 10 years or more teaching at Saint Ignatius.
- Academically, Saint Ignatius is a regional and state leader in National Merit finalists and Advanced Placement scholars. The Class of 2019 qualified 14 students as National Merit Semifinalists, 4 students as National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars, and an additional 15 students as Commended Students. We also had 246 students receive Advanced Placement scholar honors this year. Nearly 100 percent of Saint Ignatius students go on to four-year college programs at universities across the United States.
- In September 2009, the school was designated a Blue Ribbon school by the U.S. Department of Education. In 2016, the school was designated an AP Capstone Diploma school by the College Board. The Class of 2019 was the first group of students who were eligible to participate in this program as sophomores (AP Capstone Seminar) and juniors (AP Capstone Research).
- As important as academics are, the spiritual program of the school is an essential component that sets Saint Ignatius apart from any other school in Northeast Ohio. While respecting all faith traditions, Saint Ignatius is a Catholic high school rooted in Jesuit spirituality. A four-year theology program, annual spiritual retreats, frequent liturgies, and opportunities for service to those in need are mainstays.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cleveland Grades: 9-12 | 588 students
6000 Queens Hwy
Cleveland, OH 44130
(440)866-0300 6.2 9-12
- Lakewood Grades: 9-12 | 946 students
13500 Detroit Ave
Lakewood, OH 44107
(216)221-3776 4 9-12
- Cleveland Grades: 9-12 | 545 students
6550 Baxter Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44105
(216)441-4700 3.6 9-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.