Saint James School
Saint James School Photo #2 - Nine Saint James graduates from the class of 2019 are participating in competitive sports in college.
Saint James School Photo #3 - Saint James students compete in local, state, regional, and national academics, arts, and athletics. Read the Trojan Tally section of Columns magazine for an annual recap of the awards and accolades earned by students and teams each year.
Saint James School Photo #4 - Students begin using iPod Touches, iPads and Macbooks in preschool and elementary school. Students in grades 3-12 are assigned iPads to be used in controlled access WiFi on campus.
Saint James School Photo #5 - Pre-K3 through 5th grade students participate in elaborate class productions each year. 100% of high school students participate in a fine arts program from grades 9-12 including visual and/or performing arts.
Saint James School Photo #6 - A highlight of each October, the Parent Association sponsors Fall Festival, an exciting evening of family fun with games, great food, and entertainment!
Saint James is an independent, nonsectarian, college preparatory school with a student body broadly representative of college-bound students.
We are committed to challenging and assisting students in realizing their individual potential and preparing them for lives of responsibility, service, and achievement.
Saint James School promotes the intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and cultural development of our students.
Our educational program provides students with opportunities to develop maturity, self-confidence, skills and knowledge preparing them to attain their highest level of individual potential.
- Top Ranked AL School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Students: 885 students
- Average class size: 18 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 25%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Advanced Biology, Advanced English I, Advanced English II, Advanced Geometry, Advanced Pre-Calculus, Advanced World History I, AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Human Geography, AP Macroeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Studio Art 2D Design, AP Studio Art – Drawing & Lab, AP U.S. History, AP U.S. Politics and Government, AP World History
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Finances and Admission
None / Rolling
Staggered rates depending upon grade level. See website for more information.
Mrs. Kate Bartlett
Total Sports Offered
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Club or Organization:
- Challenging academics, competitive athletics, and nationally recognized arts classes combine to create Central Alabama`s most engaging independent school environment at Saint James (STJ). Nonsectarian and Montgomery`s oldest independent school, Saint James provides the most comprehensive course offerings in the area, blending superior academics and state-of-the-art technology, with absorbing enrichment, exploratory, and college elective classes. In an exciting and unique initiative, STJ offers pre-college major electives, such as Robotics/Engineering, Programming/Networking, and Graphic Design - Alabama`s only high school to do so.
- The school`s talented and dedicated faculty is a vital component of the learning equation, creating a welcoming yet challenging atmosphere to help students reach their highest potential. As our students make great strides academically, they also grow personally, learning to become young men and women of character who are self-motivated, intellectually curious, reflective and articulate. Students from Saint James School received over $39.6 million in merit-based college scholarships in the past six years.
- As Central Alabama's 21st Century Technology School, STJ provides all third through twelfth grade students with individual iPads. Mobile technology carts and devices are accessible to all Pre-K3 - 2nd grade elementary students.
- Focus: From the very beginning, teachers in the preschool and elementary grades nurture, engage and guide young students, providing a strong foundation enhanced by exceptional, modern facilities including both an indoor and outdoor science lab (the latter complete with pond, bog, and butterfly garden). Elementary students also access an outdoor art laboratory.
- Use of iPods, iPads, and Macbooks is fully integrated into the expansive college preparatory curriculum throughout the K3 to Grade 12 experience.
- STJ`s middle school has been recognized by the National Middle School Association as one of four schools in the nation for excellence in implementing middle school concepts.
- High standards, involved instructors, and engaging coursework prepare high school students to excel at the college or university of their choice.
- Strong academics are balanced with nationally recognized fine arts offerings and state championship athletic programs. A sense of community, fostered at the preschool and elementary levels, continues through the upper grades where meaningful community service and volunteerism are emphasized.
- Enrollment: approximately 890 students
- Faculty: A majority of the school's nationally and internationally recognized faculty members hold masters or doctoral degrees.
- Advanced Placement: Bolstered by Saint James' strong college preparatory program, every STJ graduate continues their education at the college/university level. Advanced Placement, Honors, and advanced classes are offered in middle and high school. Saint James uniquely assigns a full-time, professional aide to assist every pre-school and kindergarten teacher, providing two adult professionals in each learning environment.
- After School Program: Separate after school programs are offered for all students - STJ WonderWorks is provided for Pre-K3 through 5th grade and 9th Period is offered for students in 6th-12th grade. After school care includes time for study and homework completion.
- Awards/Honors/Recognition: The 2018 National Merit Scholarship Program ecognized two STJ Finalists and Commended one additional STJ student. The two Saint James National Merit Scholarship Program Finalists represent the largest number of recognized students among independent school in Montgomery for the second consecutive year. The College Board named 29 STJ students as AP Scholars, including those with Honor and those with Distinction. In addition, Saint James has three recent alumni who were named National AP Scholars this past year.
- Athletics: Saint James School has won 44 state sports championships since beginning competitive play, including Alabama's 2019 1A-3A AHSAA Girls Indoor Track State Champions, Alabama's 2019 3A AHSAA Girls Outdoor Track & Field State Champions, Alabama's 2019 1A-3A AHSAA Girls Tennis State Champions, Alabama's 2017 State Volleyball Champions, Alabama's 2015 State Golf Champions, and Alabama`s 2013 4A State Wrestling Champions. The school offers 46 team sports played in the AHSAA`s aggressive 3A Division, including football, baseball, softball, basketball, cross country,wrestling, indoor track, soccer, tennis, golf and cheerleading. STJ Volleyball competes in AHSAA's 5A division after their recent state win. STJ also offers the only official high school equestrian team in the state.
- Arts: Saint James seniors regularly win scholarships to nationally respected arts colleges, based on their excellent choral, band, dramatics, and visual arts training. The 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 Marching Trojans Band were named the Bands of American Super Regional Champions for Class A and were ranked Third in Class A Nationally at the 2015 Bands of America Grand National Competition. STJ`s acclaimed Performing Arts Department stages three elaborate dramatic and musical productions each year, using a modern wireless sound system in the school`s spacious theater. There are also studios for band and choral music, and facilities for teaching drama and technical theatre classes.
- The Saint James Speech & Debate Team has earned district, state, and national recognition year after year. In 2015, the team leader was named third in the nation for Extemporaneous Commentary, the highest placement of any national competitor from the state of Alabama. Earning four spots at the 2019 national tournament, the STJ Speech & Debate Team also hails 4 inidividual state champions in 2018 and State Speaker of the Year as well as a National All American Scholar in 2019.
- Contact Information: For enrollment information contact Kate Bartlett, Associate Dean of Admissions, at 334-273-3021 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Profile last updated:
Athletics and academics are awesome here.
Endorse Saint James School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.