Saint James School
- Saint James is an independent, nonsectarian, college preparatory school with a student body broadly representative of college-bound students.
- We are committed to challenging and assisting students in realizing their individual potential and preparing them for lives of responsibility, service, and achievement.
- Saint James School promotes the intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and cultural development of our students.
- Our educational program provides students with opportunities to develop maturity, self-confidence, skills and knowledge preparing them to attain their highest level of individual potential.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Alabama Association of Independent Schools (AAIS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
National Association of College Admissions Counselors
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||925 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||102 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced English I, Advanced English II, Advanced Geometry, Advanced Pre-Calculus, Advanced World History I, AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Human Geography, AP Macroeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Physics, AP Studio Art 2D Design, AP Studio Art – Drawing & Lab, AP U.S. History, AP U.S. Politics and Government,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Staggered rates depending upon grade level. See website for more information.|
|Admissions Director||Cathy Pearson|
|Admissions Associate||Mrs. Kate Bartlett|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Drill Team, Equestrian, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Dance, Drill Team,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
- Challenging academics, competitive athletics, and nationally recognized arts classes combine to create Central Alabama`s most engaging independent school environment at Saint James (STJ). Nonsectarian and Montgomery`s oldest independent private school, Saint James provides the most well-rounded course offerings in the area, blending superior academics and state-of-the-art technology, with absorbing enrichment, exploratory, and college elective classes. In an exciting and unique initiative, STJ offers pre-college major electives, such as Robotics/Engineering, Programming/Networking, and Graphic Design - Alabama`s only high school to do so.
- The school`s talented and dedicated faculty is a vital component of the learning equation, creating a welcoming yet challenging atmosphere to help students reach their highest potential. As our students make great strides academically, they also grow personally, learning to become young men and women of character who are self-motivated, intellectually curious, reflective and articulate. Students from Saint James School received over $35.2 million in merit-based college scholarships in the past five years.
- As Central Alabama's 21st Century Technology School, STJ provides all third through eighth grade students with individual iPads and all high school school students with MacBooks. Roll-around carts with iPads, iPods, and MacBooks are accessible to all K3-3rd Grade elementary students.
- Focus: From the very beginning, teachers in the preschool and elementary grades nurture, engage and guide young students, providing a strong foundation enhanced by exceptional, modern facilities including both an indoor and outdoor science lab (the latter complete with pond, bog, and butterfly garden). Elementary students also access an outdoor art laboratory.
- Use of iPods, iPads, and Macbooks is fully integrated into the expansive college preparatory curriculum throughout the K3 to Grade 12 experience.
- STJ`s middle school has been recognized by the National Middle School Association as one of four schools in the nation for excellence in implementing middle school concepts.
- High standards, involved instructors, and engaging coursework prepare high school students to excel at the college or university of their choice.
- Strong academics are balanced with nationally recognized fine arts offerings and state championship athletic programs. A sense of community, fostered at the preschool and elementary levels, continues through the upper grades where meaningful community service and volunteerism are emphasized.
- Enrollment: approximately 918 students
- Faculty: A majority of the school's nationally and internationally recognized faculty members hold masters or doctoral degrees.
- Advanced Placement: Bolstered by Saint James' strong college preparatory program, every STJ graduate continues their education at the college/university level. Advanced Placement, Honors, and advanced classes are offered in middle and high school. Saint James uniquely assigns a full-time, professional aide to assist every pre-school and kindergarten teacher, providing two adult professionals in each learning environment.
- After School Program: Offered for students from pre-kindergarten through Grade 5. After school care for students in Grades 1-5 includes time for study and homework completion.
- Awards/Honors/Recognition: The 2018 National Merit Scholarship Program ecognized two STJ Finalists and Commended one additional STJ student. The two Saint James National Merit Scholarship Program Finalists represent the largest number of recognized students among independent school in Montgomery for the second consecutive year. The College Board named 29 STJ students as AP Scholars, including those with Honor and those with Distinction. In addition, Saint James has three recent alumni who were named National AP Scholars this past year.
- Athletics: Saint James School has won 41 state sports championships since beginning competitive play, including Alabama`s 2013 4A State Wrestling Champions, Alabama's 2015 State Golf Champions, and Alabama's 2017 State Volleyball Champions. The school offers 46 team sports played in the AHSAA`s aggressive 3A Division, including football, baseball, softball, basketball, cross country,wrestling, indoor track, soccer, tennis, golf and cheerleading. STJ Volleyball will compete in AHSAA's 5A division after their state win this past year. STJ also offers the only official high school equestrian team in the state.
- Arts: Saint James seniors regularly win scholarships to nationally respected arts colleges, based on their excellent choral, band, dramatics, and visual arts training. The 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 Marching Trojans Band were named the Bands of American Super Regional Champions for Class A and were ranked Third in Class A Nationally at the 2015 Bands of America Grand National Competition. STJ`s acclaimed Performing Arts Department stages three elaborate dramatic and musical productions each year, using a modern wireless sound system in the school`s spacious theater. There are also studios for band and choral music, and facilities for teaching drama and technical theatre classes. In addition to performances during the academic year, Saint James performers attend the Show Choirs of America clinics to work with nationally acclaimed choreographers and learn the most modern dance techniques.
- The Saint James Speech & Debate Team has earned district, state, and national recognition year after year. In 2015, the team leader was named third in the nation for Extemporaneous Commentary, the highest placement of any national competitor from the state of Alabama. Earning 5 spots at the 2018 national tournament, the STJ Speech & Debate Team also hails 4 inidividual state champions in 2018 and State Speaker of the Year.
- Contact Information: For enrollment information contact Cathy Pearson, Dean of Admissions, at 334-273-3000 or email her at email@example.com.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Montgomery Grades: K-12 | 700 students
3240 Vaughn Rd
Montgomery, AL 36106
(334)272-8210 3.2 K-12
- Montgomery Grades: PK-12 | 742 students
1700 East Trinity Blvd
Montgomery, AL 36106
(334)213-2100 1.8 PK-12
- Montgomery Grades: PK-12 | 54 students
445 Cotton Gin Road
Montgomery, AL 36117
(334)517-1158 3.3 PK-12
Athletics and academics are awesome here.
- Posted by Parent - Josht