San Marcos Academy
Tel: (512) 753-8000
San Marcos Academy Photo #2 - Graduation is a special and meaningful time with unique ceremonies and events; 95% (or more) of SMA graduates matriculate at a college or university.
San Marcos Academy Photo #4 - Our campus is located in the beautiful Texas Hill Country on a large, gated campus. We are midway between Austin and San Antonio.
San Marcos Academy Photo #5 - A full range of fine arts opportunities includes music, drama and visual arts instruction.
San Marcos Academy Photo #7 - Challenging academics in a nurturing environment where students receive the individual attention they need to succeed.
San Marcos Academy Photo #9 - Our girls and boys residence halls provide nurturing supervision for students in grades 6-12 with the structure and discipline necessary for student success.
- Founded in 1907 San Marcos Academy is a coeducational, Christian boarding and day school located in the beautiful Texas hill country. Our mission is "to educate young men and women in a nurturing community based upon Christian values."
- We offer both 7-day and 5-day boarding programs for grades 6-12 as well as a day program for grades K-12.
- The Academy features a college preparatory curriculum that can be tailored to accommodate a broad range of learning abilities. Our academic program offers leadership training; dual-credit college and AP courses; a strong fine arts department; an Accommodated Learning Program for student with mild to moderate learning differences; and English as a Second Language support for international students.
- The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (AdvancEd) and the Accreditation Committee of the Texas Association of Baptist Schools and is recognized by the Texas Education Agency.
- Small classes (with an average of 12 students) and a student-teacher ratio of 9:1 provide an effective learning environment with individualized instruction to meet the needs of each student. Structure, discipline and nurturing supervision, including required study halls, are provided in the girls and boys dormitories. Ninety-five percent or more of our graduates move immediately into post-secondary education at schools throughout the country.
- The Academy is rich in tradition and is a vital part of the local community.
- The school offers a rolling enrollment. San Marcos Academy is affiliated with Texas Baptists.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, ADHD|
|Total Students||340 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 38%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||45 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus BC, AP Computer Maintenance, AP Computer Programming, AP Physics I, College U.S. History 1301, 1302, Computer Science Principles AP, English 1301, 1302, Environmental Science AP, Macroeconomics AP, Math 1310 (Algebra), Math 1311 (Trigonometry), Math 2302 (Statistics), POLS 1302 (Government), PSYC 1301|
|Average SAT score||1137|
|Average ACT score||23|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(khaki pants, polo shirts, plaid skirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$41,250|
|Tuition Notes||5-day tuition is 31000 day tuition is 10350 international boarding tuition is 46500|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Corey Boyer|
|Admissions Associate||Mattie Howard|
|Endowment Size||$8 million|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Equestrian Club, JROTC, Leo Club, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Student Ambassadors, Student Council
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Intramurals, Running Club
- Quality Academics With Low Teacher-Student Ratio
- AP/Honors and Regular College Prep Curricula
- Dual Credit College Courses
- Learning Skills Program For Students With Mild To Moderate Learning Differences
- English As A Second Language Support
- Structured Environment
- Leadership Development Program
- Junior ROTC Programs
- LD types supported: Mild to Moderate Learning Differences (ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia)
- School accreditations: Approved or accredited by Accreditation Commission of the Texas Association of Baptist Schools, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (AdvancEd), Texas Education Agency, The Association of Boarding Schools, Texas Department of Education
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Marcos Grades: PK-12 | 189 students
1401 Davis Ln
San Marcos, TX 78666
(512) 353-8976 3.3 PK-12
- San Marcos Grades: 5-12 | 144 students
120 Bert Brown Street
San Marcos, TX 78666
(512) 396-8500 3.8 5-12
- San Antonio Grades: PK-12 | 88 students
6622 Highway 90 W
San Antonio, TX 78227
(210) 679-6001 51.2 PK-12
- San Antonio Grades: NS-3 | 39 students
1106 W Malone Ave
San Antonio, TX 78225
(210) 923-8600 47.9 NS-3
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.