5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (507) 286-1050
Schaeffer Academy Photo #4 - We have strong instrumental and vocal music departments. Students in grades 4-12 can choose to take band or strings classes.
- Schaeffer Academy's primary purpose is to provide a Christ-centered and classical education which emphasizes rigorous academics in the liberal arts in grades K-12.
- As a private, non-denominational Christian school, all subjects are taught within the frame of a Christian worldview.
- As a classical school, the method of instruction is the Trivium (Grammar, Logic and Rhetoric) - a system of education in use since the Middle Ages. Schaeffer Academy's students graduate able to think clearly, reason soundly, write gracefully and live faithfully.
- We provide excellent academics, fine arts and athletics and have a record of excellent test scores and solid college admissions.
- Schaeffer Academy was founded in 1993 and is located on 37 acres in northeast Rochester, Minnesota. Rochester is a city of 120,000 about 80 miles south of Minneapolis/St. Paul and the third-largest city in the state. The city is home to the Mayo Clinic medical facility and IBM. For more information, go to www.schaefferacademy.org.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||282 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||22 students|
|Number of AP Courses||3 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||20th Century History, 20th Century Literature, American Government & Economics, American Literature, Ancient History, Ancient Literature, AP Calculus BC, AP Physics C, AP Physics I, Apologetics, Art, Art Appreciation and History, Basic Christian Doctrine, Biology w/Lab, British Literature, Calculus, Chemistry w/Lab, Christian Worldview, Composition and Literary Forms, Functions, Statistics & Trig, Latin I, II, III, Logic I, II, Music, Music Appreciation & History, Physics I, Rhetoric & Debate I, II, Senior Theology, Spanish I, II, III, U. S. History, Western Philosophy, World History|
|Average SAT score||1320|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(uniform - khaki/polos in school color (secondary) or plaid/navy twill/polos (elementary))
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Apr. 15 / Jul. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,770|
|Tuition Notes||Excellent Scholarship Program Available. Full time tuition for grades all-day kindergarten -12th grade is $8770; half-day kindergarten tuition is $4,740|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,500|
|Admissions Director||Jill Wirth|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
LEGO Robotics Club, Student Council, Technology Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Choir, Drama, Orchestra, Studio Art, Summer Adventures in Kindergarten Camp, Summer Adventures in Learning Camps (Grades 1-8), Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Summer Sport Camps
- Schaeffer Academy is in its twenty-seventh year. The school is named after Dr. Francis Schaeffer, a Christian philosopher, theologian and evangelist. The school's educational philosopy reflects his emphasis on a Christian worldview, which permetaes all areas of life
- Schaeffer Academy provides a Christ-centered and classical education which emphasizes academic excellence in the liberal arts. All subjects are taught within a Christian worldview
- Financial Aid Scholarship Program
- Academics: On average, 12% of Scheffer Academy students in each class are recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation as finalists, semipfinalists, or commended students
- Average ACT score, Class of 2019: 26
- Average SAT score, Class of 2019: 1320
- Literature enriched curriculum. Humanties courses include substantial reading in original texts. Major writing or research projects are required throughout high school. Logic and Rhetoric in the Middle and Upper School.
- Latin is required through grade 9, while Spanish is taught in 10th, 11th and 12th. Latin students take the National Latin Exam annually. Over the years, Schaeffer students were honored with 109 gold medals including seven for perfect papers.
- Annual Science and History Fairs require students to produce projects with National History Day guidelines in 8th and 10th grades, and projects suitable for the Regional and State Science Fairs in 7th, 9th and 11th grades.
- Weekly chapel; service projects for middle schoolers; Student Council, Legos Robotics Club, Technology Club, etc.
- Strong emphasis on the arts, with twice yearly drama productions and concerts for our Upper and Lower School choirs, Upper and Lower School Band and string ensembles plus Jazz Band
- Faculty are committed Christians, dedicated to teaching and able to model character for our students
- Schaeffer Academy is a member of the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) Division 1A and offers the following varsity sports: Boys and Girls Soccer, Cross Country, Girls Volleyball, Boys and Girls Basketball, Track and Field, Tennis, Boys Baseball and Girls Softball
- All buildings have been completed since 1999 including a state-of-the art Physics/Science Lab
- View more details about the school at www.schaefferacademy.org
Profile last updated:
Our children are late elementary and middle school age, and have been at Schaeffer since kindergarten. We appreciate the classical Christian education and overall academic rigor. Schaeffer has most of the extracurriculars you could want (sports, drama, etc.). Test scores far exceed other public and private schools in the area. Our family highly recommends Schaeffer to parents who would like to have their children receive a classical Christian education that prepares them well to pursue higher education.
- Posted by Parent - Parents of 2
After trying 3 other schools, we have finally found a school home for our 4 children at Schaeffer Academy. They provide a safe, encouraging atmosphere where each of our kids can feel comfortable to be who they were created to be. Every teacher we have had has been such a blessing! We love the classical education which teaches our kids to apply critical thinking skills to every subject. This gives the students an amazing foundation allowing them to excel at any career they choose. The older students mentor the younger students encouraging them in their character. The small class size allows the kids many opportunities for involvement and leadership. I am so thankful for a school like Schaeffer!
- Posted by Parent - Mom of 4
Classical education teaches my children how to think: logic and its application. This is woven into every subject, and I know they will have a good foundation for the future regardless of what careers they choose.
- Posted by Parent - Chris G
Schaeffer Academy is an amazing classical Christian school! We have had two children attend thus far, and we are so grateful for their school experience! The teachers are warm and encouraging. The academics are rigorous but doable. They have encouraged both of our children with their specific needs and have accommodated both special needs for one child at a time and stretching our precocious child. There is a great sense of community, and we love the mentorship a k-12 school provides. Priceless! In short, we would highly recommend Schaeffer Academy.
- Posted by Parent - Jaci Shanafelt
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.