Schechter School Of Long Island
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (516) 935-1441
- SSLI is a Jewish day school whose dual curriculum of excellence educates and empowers its students to be critical thinkers, ethical leaders, and globally engaged citizens, striving to achieve their full potential and ensuring a vibrant Jewish future.Our Core Values, which support our mission, become the essence of our students` identities and guide them through every stage of life.Torah We instill a love of lifelong learning where questions are as valued as answers.Ahavat Yisrael We foster a love and commitment to the State, language and People of Israel as central to Jewish identity and continuity.Kehila We celebrate the individuality and diversity within the SSLI family, and foster an inclusive and caring community.Mitzvot We sanctify God`s presence in our lives through the observance of Jewish practice.Tefillah We encourage all students to find their unique voices in prayer.Gemilut Chasadim We engage our students in thoughtful acts of loving kindness, generosity and world repair, Tikkun Olam.Lower School - (K-5)1 Barbara Lane, Jericho, New York 11753Phone: 516-935-1441Fax: 516-935-8280Upper School (6-12)6 Cross Street Williston Park, NY 11596Phone: 516-539-3700Fax: 516-539-3685.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||150 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Comparative Government, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Government/Economics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Physics I, Physics II, Statistics, United States History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Oct. 31 / Feb. 15 / rolling|
|Admissions Director||Dr. Tracy Kaplowitz|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Daily Online Newspaper, Face to Faith, Girls Learn International, Improv, News Magazine, Peer Educators, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Choir, Drama, Literary Magazine
- Welcome to the Schechter School of Long Island, where curiosity rules, where children learn timeless traditions and to think for themselves. Welcome to a vibrant K-12 Jewish Day School,powered by "T-STEAM" (Torah, Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics), where children are encouraged to ask bold questions, confront paradox and discover new connections. Welcome to a school where students see links between Maimonides and mathematics, Socrates and social justice, Torah and technology, anthropology, art and athletics, Hebrew language and history. Welcome to a community where every child feels valued and develops deep empathy, where children gain a powerful unified sense of themselves as citizens and as leaders, as Zionists and Patriots, ready and excited to engage the world. Welcome to Schechter LI.
- Classroom learning at Schechter LI (also known as "SSLI") takes place on two campuses, complemented by a full range of Blended Learning opportunities, with real-time remote instructors from Jerusalem and Utah and access to knowledge and information from across the globe. The Lower School in Jericho, NY, houses grades K-5, where children develop a sense of wonder, where they are encouraged to engage the world through questions, and to examine their surroundings with open hearts and a analytical minds. Our Upper School, centrally located in Williston Park, serving grades 6-12, houses our Middle School (grades 6-8), where young teens are supported in developing poise and confidence as they take on academic and intellectual challenges, while exploring their own individual identity and the meaning of authentic Jewish community. The Upper School also houses the Schechter High School of Long Island, a regional college preparatory school serving students from Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties in grades 9-12, where an inquiry-based approach stimulates critical thinking and remains a cornerstone of true academic excellence.
- Our school`s reputation for primary and middle school excellence began in 1967, with the high school opening its doors in 1994 to great acclaim. Our students achieve the highest standards and gain acceptance to some of our nation`s finest colleges and universities. While taking on great academic and intellectual challenges, our students live out the Jewish ideal described by our namesake, 19th century scholar Rabbi Solomon Schechter, that "Judaism permeates the whole of your life." At our school, the morals, ethics and beliefs of a dynamic Jewish life are core to our students` intellectual, social and spiritual growth: compassion for community, love for Israel and the Jewish people, and commitment to Tikkun Olam, social responsibility.
- At Schechter, we develop a child`s intellect by inspiring a love of learning, and ignite a child`s inner spark through Jewish values, integrity and faith. The results
- Excellence Commitment Success
- And as our students become part of a larger society, they take these principles with them through every stage of life. At Schechter, smart children learn to make good choices. And smart students with confidence are ready to take on the world. I invite you to discover for yourself and explore the richness of our classrooms and community. Thank you for your interest in The Schechter School of Long Island!
- Dr. Cindy Dolgin
- Head of School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bronx Grades: 9-12 | 325 students
330 Bedford Park Blvd
Bronx, NY 10458
(718) 364-5353 19.9 9-12
- Brooklyn Grades: 9-12 | 33 students
2115 Benson Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11214
(718) 373-0960 27.9 9-12
- Brooklyn Grades: 6-12 | 57 students
1 Metrotech Center North, Suite 1004
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 522-3286 25.1 6-12
- Brooklyn Grades: 8-12 | 81 students
3300 Kings Hwy
Brooklyn, NY 11234
(718) 677-5100 24.8 8-12
- Corona Grades: NS-9 | 75 students
9807 38th Ave
Corona, NY 11368
(718) 478-8181 18.2 NS-9
I cannot image a better learning environment for my children. The school is very progressive and each child's individual needs are consistently met. All of the teachers are very warm and compassionate. The classrooms are spacious and class sizes are small. The principal is very active and involved. The families of the children who attend are lovely. Parent and grandparent involvement is welcomed and the Parent's Association plans enriching activities for the entire school throughout the year. The families in the school vary in levels of observance and no one is ostracized or made to feel uncomfortable based upon their family lifestyle choices. It is an inclusive atmosphere. Most importantly, my children love their school and are receiving a well-rounded, challenging, and progressive secular and Jewish education.
- Posted by Parent - yacco
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.