Schechter School Of Long Island
- Grades: Kindergarten-5
- Students: 150 students
- Application Deadline: Oct. 31 / Feb. 15 / rolling
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Daily Online Newspaper, Face to Faith, Girls Learn International, Improv, News Magazine, Peer Educators, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Choir, Drama, Literary Magazine
- Welcome to the Schechter School of Long Island, where curiosity rules, where children learn timeless traditions and to think for themselves. Welcome to a vibrant K-12 Jewish Day School,powered by "T-STEAM" (Torah, Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics), where children are encouraged to ask bold questions, confront paradox and discover new connections. Welcome to a school where students see links between Maimonides and mathematics, Socrates and social justice, Torah and technology, anthropology, art and athletics, Hebrew language and history. Welcome to a community where every child feels valued and develops deep empathy, where children gain a powerful unified sense of themselves as citizens and as leaders, as Zionists and Patriots, ready and excited to engage the world. Welcome to Schechter LI.
- Classroom learning at Schechter LI (also known as "SSLI") takes place on two campuses, complemented by a full range of Blended Learning opportunities, with real-time remote instructors from Jerusalem and Utah and access to knowledge and information from across the globe. The Lower School in Jericho, NY, houses grades K-5, where children develop a sense of wonder, where they are encouraged to engage the world through questions, and to examine their surroundings with open hearts and a analytical minds. Our Upper School, centrally located in Williston Park, serving grades 6-12, houses our Middle School (grades 6-8), where young teens are supported in developing poise and confidence as they take on academic and intellectual challenges, while exploring their own individual identity and the meaning of authentic Jewish community. The Upper School also houses the Schechter High School of Long Island, a regional college preparatory school serving students from Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties in grades 9-12, where an inquiry-based approach stimulates critical thinking and remains a cornerstone of true academic excellence.
- Our school`s reputation for primary and middle school excellence began in 1967, with the high school opening its doors in 1994 to great acclaim. Our students achieve the highest standards and gain acceptance to some of our nation`s finest colleges and universities. While taking on great academic and intellectual challenges, our students live out the Jewish ideal described by our namesake, 19th century scholar Rabbi Solomon Schechter, that "Judaism permeates the whole of your life." At our school, the morals, ethics and beliefs of a dynamic Jewish life are core to our students` intellectual, social and spiritual growth: compassion for community, love for Israel and the Jewish people, and commitment to Tikkun Olam, social responsibility.
- At Schechter, we develop a child`s intellect by inspiring a love of learning, and ignite a child`s inner spark through Jewish values, integrity and faith. The results
- Excellence Commitment Success
- And as our students become part of a larger society, they take these principles with them through every stage of life. At Schechter, smart children learn to make good choices. And smart students with confidence are ready to take on the world. I invite you to discover for yourself and explore the richness of our classrooms and community. Thank you for your interest in The Schechter School of Long Island!
- Dr. Cindy Dolgin
- Head of School
Endorse Schechter School Of Long Island. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards