Shu Ren International School
- Celebrating 10 years of empowering students to become lifelong learners and internationally minded, critical thinkers Through a vibrant inquiry-based, Mandarin immersion program, students at Shu Ren International School develop a genuine love of learning. Our teachers cultivate a nurturing classroom environment that is focused on developing the whole child. Everyday our students enjoy exciting hands-on projects that build confidence in their capabilities, ignites their passions, and connects their learning to the real world.
- Parents of our students witness their children develop both Mandarin and English language proficiency while immersed in a highly engaging, inquiry-driven curriculum. They see their children actively seek knowledge as they equip themselves with the abilities needed to become caring, responsible, and contributing global citizens.
- Shu Ren International School is proud to be one of only four schools in the United States to offer the unique combination of Mandarin Immersion and the world-renowned International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum. Come see for yourself how Shu Ren is preparing children with the heart and mind to thrive in an evolving global society.
- Students from outside the United States will find a close-knit and international-minded community similar to international schools around the world.
- We welcome Chinese native speakers to join our community! Our immersion and bilingual model means that students can immediately establish connections and friendships with their classmates. We have a differentiated curriculum to ensure that native Chinese students can keep up with their mother tongue while also improving their English at a rapid pace.
Upcoming Events and News
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$430|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||We offer Early Bird specials through April 1 each year|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||97 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,910|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool (PK2-PK4) tuition is 21,190 Financial Aid is available for qualified applicants|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
|Admissions Director||Maria English|
|Admissions Associate||Jie Moore|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Book Club, Chess Club, Chinese Culture, Math Club, Printmaking and Beyond
Arts and Music Programs:
Beginning Strings, Chinese Brush Paint, Paper Art, Percussion Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- At Shu Ren International School, we are committed to empowering students to become internationally-minded critical thinkers and lifelong learners.
- Our curriculum emphasizes inquiry-based learning through interactive projects, creative activities, and field trips that link academic lessons to practical life and skills.
- The IB curriculum in combination with an immersive Mandarin language environment (Available for Ages PreK-5/PYP level) allows children to enjoy learning while reaching their full potentialFamilies at Shu Ren International School enjoy a close-knit, inter-connected community, international exchange opportunities (at the MYP level, No Mandarin Required for Enrollment), and a loving, diverse internationally educated staff and faculty that is dedicated to providing the best education and opportunities for your family.
- We are living and growing in a unique era where what we have taken for granted for ages is being continuously questioned and challenged. The founders of Shu Ren saw these challenges and uncertainties as an opportunity to create an inclusive and extensive Mandarin Language education system right in the thriving heart of the East Bay. We chose to combine the richness of Chinese language and culture with the globally minded, high-quality curriculum of the International Baccalaureate (IB). With these two powerful tools, we provide children with the ability, desire, and confidence to participate in an ever-evolving society where they will be asked to be tomorrow's visionaries, leaders, and entrepreneurs.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berkeley Grades: PK-K | 80 students
3339 Martin Luther King Jr Way
Berkeley, CA 94703
(510)868-1815 1.5 PK-K
- Berkeley Grades: PK-K | 58 students
2830 9th street
Berkeley, CA 94710
(510)845-6969 1.2 PK-K
- Burlingame Grades: PK-12 | 889 students
6565 Skyline Blvd
Burlingame, CA 94010
(650)350-4528 22 PK-12
- San Francisco Grades: K-8 | 370 students
2222 Broadway St
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415)563-2900 9.9 K-8