SA students can take advantage of library's online and print media. Each student has his/her own laptop.
SA students volunteer weekly to work with neighboring elementary school students and offer a free camp for them each summer.
- Sonoma Academy is a dynamic co-ed college preparatory high school located on a 34-acre campus in southeast Santa Rosa.
- Sonoma Academy offers a 21st century education to motivated learners from four counties (Sonoma, Marin, Napa,and Mendocino) and from more than 80 public, private, and parochial middle schools. Students of color represent 30 percent of the student body and over 50 percent of the school`s families receive some amount of financial aid. Graduates attend top colleges and universities nationwide.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||310 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB/BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Spanish Language, Advanced Studies Computer Science, Advanced Studies in Art History, AP English Language and Composition, AP Physics 1, AP Statistics, Art History (Advanced Studies), Comparative Religions (Advanced Studies), Constitutional Law (Advanced Studies), Economics (Advanced Studies), Environmental Science (Advanced Studies), Historiography and Research Seminar (Advanced Studies), Multivariable Calculus,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1 / Jan. 12|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$42,500|
|Tuition Notes||We have a financial aid program that is designed to help families with the cost of tuition and is based on demonstrated financial need. We award nearly $3.5 million in financial aid each year. Awards may range from 5-95% of tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$22,000|
|Admissions Director||Sandy Stack|
|Admissions Associate||Lucas Martin|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||23 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Judicial Honor Council|
Club or Organization:
Admission All-Stars, Book Club, Chess Club, Debate Team, Diversity CLub, Earthology Club, Garden Club, Girls Learn International Chapter, QSA-Queer Straight Alliance, Schools for Kabul, Speech Team, Student Leadership Council, The Paw Print, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappella Choir, Jazz Ensemble, Strings Ensemble, Theater Production
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness, Flag Football, Pilates/Hatha Yoga, Ultimate Frisbee
- Electives include Multivariable Calculus, nine AP courses, and advanced studies in Historiography & Research, Philosophy & Literature, Constitutional Law, Environmental Science, Comparative Religions, and Art History.
- The school has a suite of studios in a newly constructed building. Studios include: Robotics/Electronics/Engineering, Metal & Wood Fabrication, Digital Media, and Broadcast & Sound. There is also a teaching kitchen that enables students to take courses or do projects related to food science, nutrition, and cooking & baking.
- Daily lunch provided in the Commons dining area.
- One free international travel trip for each student during their tenure at the school Past trips have included Bali, France, Thailand, China, Costa Rica, Germany, Honduras, the Czech Republic, Japan, Russia, Spain, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Belgium, Mexico, and Holland.
- Sports include soccer, basketball, lacrosse, cross-country, track & field, tennis (singles & doubles), volleyball, and baseball.
- Students have the option to pursue a concentration (like a college minor) in either STEM, environmental stewardship, or global citizenship.
- There is an Accelerated Sports Program, designed for highly motivated and talented student-athletes who have aspirations to compete at least at the collegiate level.
- Extensive college counseling begins junior year.
May 10, 2018
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
May 10, 2018
Sending your children to a summer program or camp keeps them active in fun-filled settings. We explore your options.
April 19, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.