Sonoma Academy Photo #3 - We have great teachers who are experts in their fields. 85% of our teachers have advanced degrees. Most importantly, they are passionate about the subjects they teach.
Sonoma Academy Photo #4 - State-of-the-art facilities, like a recording studio, digital media lab, robotics studio, and more allow students to explore their passions and interests and learn real-world skills.
Sonoma Academy Photo #5 - Students receive one free international Intersession trip during their four years at Sonoma Academy. Recent trips have included: Bali, Bahamas, Cuba, Greece, Patagonia, Spain, and more. Students have the opportunity to learn about other cultures and explore subjects more deeply.
- We are grounded in a rigorous college preparatory framework, but we go much further.
- We are multidisciplinary and cutting-edge, giving students the ability to ask the hard questions, and the tools to answer them.
- We are technologically sophisticated, but we recognize the limitations of technology, so we teach critical thinking above all else-because this is the foundation of true learning.
- We are deeply humanistic, treating every student with profound respect and care.
- And we are a joyful, inclusive, vibrant community-where students actually love to come to school every day.
Sonoma Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||330 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB/BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Spanish Language, Advanced Studies Computer Science, Advanced Studies in Art History, AP English Language and Composition, AP Physics 1, AP Statistics, Art History (Advanced Studies), Comparative Religions (Advanced Studies), Constitutional Law (Advanced Studies), Economics (Advanced Studies), Environmental Science (Advanced Studies), Historiography and Research Seminar (Advanced Studies), Multivariable Calculus,|
|Average SAT score||1300|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 1 / Jan. 10|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$46,230|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes daily meal plan.We have a financial aid program that is designed to help families with the cost of tuition and is based on demonstrated financial need. We award nearly $3.5 million in financial aid each year. Awards may range from 5-95% of tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$25,800|
|Admissions Director||Sandy Stack|
|Admissions Associate||Lucas Martin|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||24 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Judicial Honor Council|
Club or Organization:
Admission All-Stars, Book Club, Chess Club, Debate Team, Diversity CLub, Earthology Club, FRC Robotics Team, Garden Club, Girls Learn International Chapter, Marketing & Communications Internship, QSA-Queer Straight Alliance, Schools for Kabul, Speech Team, Student Leadership Council, The Paw Print, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappella Choir, Jazz Ensemble, Strings Ensemble, Theater Production
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness, Pilates/Hatha Yoga, Ultimate Frisbee
- Electives include Multivariable Calculus, nine AP courses, and advanced studies in Historiography & Research, Philosophy & Literature, Constitutional Law, Environmental Science, Comparative Religions, and Art History.
- The school has a suite of studios in a newly constructed building. Studios include: Robotics/Electronics/Engineering, Metal & Wood Fabrication, Digital Media, and Broadcast & Sound. There is also a teaching kitchen that enables students to take courses or do projects related to food science, nutrition, and cooking & baking.
- Daily lunch provided in the Commons dining area.
- One free international travel trip for each student during their tenure at the school Past trips have included Bali, France, Thailand, China, Costa Rica, Germany, Honduras, the Czech Republic, Japan, Russia, Spain, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Belgium, Mexico, and Holland.
- Sports include soccer, basketball, lacrosse, cross-country, track & field, tennis (singles & doubles), volleyball, and baseball.
- Students have the option to pursue a concentration (like a college minor) in either STEM, environmental stewardship, or global citizenship.
- There is an Accelerated Sports Program, designed for highly motivated and talented student-athletes who have aspirations to compete at least at the collegiate level.
- Extensive college counseling begins junior year.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Danville Grades: 6-12 | 490 students
2100 Mt Diablo Scenic Blvd
Danville, CA 94506
(925)837-5375 58.4 6-12
- Berkeley Grades: 9-12 | 92 students
2727 College Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510)841-8489 47 9-12
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.