St. James Academy
- St. James Academy is the newest Catholic high school in the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas, which welcomed its first class in the Fall of 2005.
- Built to satisfy the increasing demand for Catholic secondary education, our school exists first and foremost to pass along the teachings, traditions and treasures of the Catholic faith.
- St. James Academy also strives to uphold the highest standards of excellence in all academic, athletic and extracurricular endeavors.
- Students and staff are challenged to achieve their best and to demonstrate the strength of their faith by their example.
- St. James Academy espouses the belief that all students can learn and excel with proper guidance, spiritual support, and an environment in which they feel comfortable sharing and exploring their talents, knowledge and faith.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||903 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 20%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||60 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||11 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||American Government, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science, Language & Composition, Latin, Literature & Composition, Psychology, Spanish, Statistics, US History|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Described in Student Handbook)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 14 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,800|
|Tuition Notes||One rate for members of a Johnson County Catholic parish, another rate for Catholics from outside the Johnson County Region and Non-Catholics. See web site for details.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Amber Hellwig|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Riflery, Rugby, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
are examples of some of the many clubs available., book club, Christian Stewardship, Debate, Forensics, KAY Club, men's vocations, Mock Trial, ping pong, prayer groups, Right to Life, Scholars Bowl, Science Olympiad, video games, women's vocations
Arts and Music Programs:
band, choir, drama, drum line, honor societies, instrumental and vocal music, languages, orchestra, pep band, strings
- In 2014, St. James Academy was named a School of Excellence by the Catholic Education Honor Roll, recognizing the emphasis on Catholic identity and academic excellence.
- In the 2018 year, the school population is 903 students.
- Mission statement: St. James Academy exists to pass on the Catholic faith to the next generation. The community is rooted in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church and is dedicated to developing the minds and hearts of young people to know Truth, choose Good and live virtuously in the service of others.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Kansas City Grades: NS-12 | 1172 students
400 W 51st St
Kansas City, MO 64112
(816)936-1200 14.8 NS-12
- Boys Town Grades: 9-12 | 357 students
13803 Flanagan Blvd
Boys Town, NE 68010
(402)498-1853 173.1 9-12
- Lenexa Grades: 9-12 | 931 students
11411 Pflumm Rd
Lenexa, KS 66215
(913)319-2423 6.2 9-12
- Hutchinson Grades: 7-12 | 278 students
1400 E 17th Ave
Hutchinson, KS 67501
(620)662-5800 176.1 7-12
- Kansas City Grades: 9-12 | 333 students
708 N 18th St
Kansas City, KS 66102
(913)371-1201 15.2 9-12
Private school tuition seems to go nowhere but up. We look at some of the reasons why and offer the opinion that a private school education is still good value.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.