St John The Baptist Catholic School
5.00 (4 reviews)
- St. John the Baptist Catholic School is a faith-centered community that promotes the development and growth of the whole child: spiritually, academically, socially, emotionally, and physically. We are committed to sharing our knowledge of God and the truths and traditions of the Church so that students will grow in their love of God and our Catholic faith.
- Our school community is committed to inspiring students to be life-long learners.
- We foster moral excellence and self-discipline in our students so they will become responsible contributors to our school, Church, and global community.
- We respect the value of each student and his/her diverse needs.
- As facilitators of learning, faculty and staff assist parents in their role as primary educators of their children.
St John The Baptist Catholic School places among the top 20% of private schools in Oregon for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||202 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Navy polo, Khaki pants, navy sweatshirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,294|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Flag Football, Football, Lacrosse, Softball, Swimming, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
Flag Football, Football,
Swimming, Track and Field,
- St. John the Baptist Catholic School is a family oriented faith community which is committed to fostering the spiritual, academic, physical, social, and moral abilities of our students who then actively demonstrate their learning in service to others.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: 4-11 | 13 students
12250 Se River Rd
Portland, OR 97222
(503)653-1487 0.6 4-11
- Oregon City Grades: NS-12 | 245 students
19575 Sebastian Way
Oregon City, OR 97045
(503)655-5961 8.7 NS-12
SJB is a wonderful school, both my boys love coming to school and the teachers are awesome!
- Posted by Parent - Mary
As a parent of three children, we wanted to find a safe, caring and educationally enriching school. We definitely found that in St. John the Baptist Catholic School. The teachers and staff are what drew us initially to this wonderful school because of their passion to educate and form a well-rounded student. They go well beyond our high expectations and have pushed our three kids to learn in a way that best fits their individual learning styles. But the community of St. John the Baptist is what has kept us coming back year after year. Not only are the teachers and staff amazing, but the families and students that make up the community of SJB are unparalleled. They are warm, inviting and extremely FUN. We could not have made a better school choice and would highly recommend St. John the Baptist Catholic School.
- Posted by Parent - Kristen
We found our community at St. John the Baptist, a school that is turning 100 years old this year. It's at the heart of Milwaukie in so many ways. Our son attended a different Catholic school in the area in the first part of the year, but we found our place once we transferred to SJB. It is warm and welcoming, inviting and inclusive, traditional yet forward-thinking, caring and communicative. The classes are small; the curriculum is strong; students learn a caring code of conduct. They are rewarded for what they do best; they learn arts, culture and physical education. Classes are small. Everyone is smiling and supportive. Other parents say hello. Pretentiousness is at a minimum. And, as a parent, involvement is encouraged and there are many, many opportunities for participation. It's amazing.
- Posted by Parent - Tia York
The dedication of the teachers and the small class size is hard to beat. The level of parent involvement in the school is incredible. The spring musical last year was a fabulous showcase. The new technology program this year is great. I love that every child gets a computer to use in the classroom. The families are all welcoming and it's a very tight community. I can't say enough good things about SJB. I am very happy with my decision.
- Posted by Parent - tammy
Nearby Homes for Sale
Private school tuition seems to go nowhere but up. We look at some of the reasons why and offer the opinion that a private school education is still good value.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.