- Saint Leo the Great Catholic School, a ministry of Saint Leo the Great Catholic Parish, is a Pre-K through 8th grade school dedicated to providing a nurturing and safe environment that educates the whole child: spiritually, academically, physically, and emotionally.
- We provide a community that strengthens Catholic Identity through prayer, worship, and service to all.
- We offer an academically rigorous curriculum, promoting self-motivated learning, and preparing students for the challenges of the 21st Century.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||280 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Uniform requirements on Merry Mart Uniforms website - http://www.merrymartuniforms.com/)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,384|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for Pre-K is $8.487. Discount rates apply to multiple students, but does not affect the PreK rate.|
|Admissions Director||Cathy Torrisi|
|Admissions Associate||Meredith Somavia|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Flag Football,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Altar Servers, Cheerleading, Choir, Drama, Mouse Club, Robotics, S.P.I.R.I.T. Squad, Student Council (Middle School) Altar Servers, Cheerleading, Choir, Drama, Mouse Club, Robotics, S.P.I.R.I.T. Squad,
Student Council (Middle School),
- PHILOSOPHY STATEMENT
- "Christian, recognize your dignity-" Pope St. Leo the Great
- Saint Leo the Great Catholic School is committed to fostering the Roman Catholic faith embodied by the wisdom, charity and courage of Saint Leo the Great. Grounded in prayer, virtues, Gospel values, living out our faith, and celebrating Liturgy and the Sacraments, our students become respectful, faith-filled learners who believe in the dignity of the human person gifted to us by God. Our Catholic Identity inspires our students to serve the parish, local, and global communities by exploring and modeling the teachings of Jesus Christ.We are committed to the following beliefs:
- Acknowledging the family as the first and foremost significant educator.
- Working together in partnership with the family to educate the whole child: spirit, mind, and body.
- Promoting and validating each child`s individual uniqueness in God`s eyes.
- Providing a safe, nurturing, and secure environment.
- Facilitating academic excellence through critical thinking, project-based learning, and technological competence.
- Enabling students to communicate and succeed using 21st Century skills in becoming lifelong learners.
- In conclusion, we believe that by being called to recognize our Catholic Christian dignity, we fulfill our baptismal promises in our mission as disciples and followers of Jesus Christ.
- MISSION STATEMENT
- Saint Leo the Great Catholic School, a ministry of Saint Leo the Great Catholic Parish, is a Pre-K through 8th grade school dedicated to providing a nurturing and safe environment that educates the whole child: spiritually, academically, physically, and emotionally. We provide a community that strengthens Catholic Identity through prayer, worship, and service to all. We offer an academically rigorous curriculum, promoting self-motivated learning, and preparing students for the challenges of the 21st Century.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
SunnyvaleGrades: NS-8 | 194 students
195 Leota Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
San JoseGrades: PK-8 | 348 students
300 O'Connor Drive
San Jose, CA 95128
Santa ClaraGrades: KG-8 | 298 students
725 Washington St
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Saint Leo`s has been a great experience for our whole family. Among all of the choices, we were so lucky to find such a caring, supportive, tight-knit community in the middle of Silicon Valley`s bustle. Parents are very involved and on campus every day volunteering in classrooms and around the school. Many have become wonderful friends and we have a lot of fun at school functions. When I drop my two kids off in the morning, I know parents and teachers are looking out for them with genuine concern for their well-being. Everyone shares common values and looks out for one another. The teachers are phenomenal. Their skill and dedication cannot be overstated. They are responsive to email, always willing to meet to discuss issues, participate in evening and weekend school functions, and are integrated into the community. We have even gotten calls if one of our kids just "seems a bit off today". It is amazing how much they give both in and out of the classroom. It feels there is the perfect balance when it comes to the way our kids are challenged. They experience traditional teaching methods, STEM learning, group projects, religion, art, perform community service hours, music, athletics, and more. Technology is very visible; but, refreshingly, kept in perspective. It is a tool the kids learn to use, but not a substitute for excellent educators. This year smart phone applications were deployed to keep parents apprised of assignments and grades. It has been wonderful- thanks to excellent teacher adoption. Our choice to join the Saint Leo`s community is certainly validated by all of the traditional measures like grades, national test scores, and high placement rates into local high schools; but the greatest validation of our choice is how happy our kids are in the mornings. They wake up happy, are silly while getting ready for school; then bounce out the door in their uniforms, still laughing as they rush to make morning assembly. To me, it is proof that they are getting more than a great academic education. They are being raised as well-rounded kids in a safe, supportive, joyful environment. Definitely check out Saint Leo The Great and ask to talk to some students or families.
- Posted by Parent - Mark
Saint Leo the Great in San Jose has been a great choice for our family! Lots of Silicon Valley tech types that have fostered a great community of learners. My kids have their own school email address and ability to log into Google Docs at home to access all their school work and communicate with their teachers. St Leo has lots of after school activities from athletics (football, volleyball, basketball, track and softball), theatre (Seussical Jr play @ San Pedro Square theatre), Odyssey of the Mind, Art, Band, Choir, Chess, Writer's Ink, etc. They have a 4 year old PreK/TK Kindergarten readiness program. I''m most impressed with the expertise on staff. 5th grade teacher Mrs Morallos posts her math lessons online as homework (Kahn Academy style) and then works with the kids at school doing the worksheets. It has really accelerated how much math my child has learned in a short period of time (he can rewind the lesson each night and do the practice problem in preparation for the day's work). The school has 3 dedicated math teachers, 2 Spanish teachers, 2 PE teachers and a host of resource staff.
- Posted by Parent - sinou
Worth checking out. Outstanding staff and tech program. Coming up on their 100th anniversary. Cool Middlebrook Garden program for earth sciences. Good foundation for private high schools.
- Posted by Parent - steve
April 25, 2017
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
April 25, 2017
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.
April 25, 2017
School uniforms are largely found at religious, parochial and military schools. Dress codes have replaced uniforms at most schools.