St. Nicholas Elementary School
St. Nicholas Elementary School Photo #2 - Science: Gold Medal winners of the 2017 STEM Showcase sponsored by Jersey City Medical Center/Barnabas Health. Blake Science Scholar, House of Israel Award. Achievement is directly attributable to excellent STEM science program lead by a technical professional.
St. Nicholas Elementary School Photo #3 - Our PreKindergarten students enjoy a relaxed, hands-on curriculum designed for student success.
St. Nicholas Elementary School Photo #4 - St. Nicholas School - Jersey City PreK3 to Grade 8 Teaching tomorrow's leaders with a focus on tradition, community, and academic excellence. Located in The Heights of Jersey for 130 years. The premier destination for excellent academics in a healthy and safe social environment. Students receive numerous scholarships and high school acceptances to the most prestigious schools in the area.
St. Nicholas Elementary School Photo #5 - The focus of our PreKindergarten program is Kindergarten readiness. Each day your child will explore a variety of activities, storytelling, writing, simple addition and subtraction, creating patterns, singing songs, artwork, and making friends!
St. Nicholas Elementary School Photo #6 - 5th Grade scientists who were named Bronze prize winners in the middle/elementary division of the 2018 Hudson County STEM Showcase. This STEM fair has been called 'Hudson County's Superbowl of Science' by The Jersey Journal. For three years in a row, St. Nicholas has been named either gold, silver, or bronze winners! It's a 'Hat-Trick'!
St. Nicholas Elementary School Photo #7 - Technology: National Code Rush 1st Place Champions 2017 and 2018. Students competed in a national coding competition to solve 140 computer programming 'problems' in the shortest amount of time.
St. Nicholas Elementary School Photo #8 - Our students develop a love of learning that can last a lifetime - future writers, novelists, and friends!
St. Nicholas Elementary School Photo #9 - Purposeful play is important on so many levels - exploring our world, sharing, problem-solving, and working together. Some our future engineers hard at work.
St. Nicholas School is the premiere destination in The Heights of Jersey City for academic excellence. To accomplish this, we provide the best instruction possible in the areas of the language arts, mathematics, social studies, science, and the arts. Our STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program includes our MakerSpace classroom where kids and teachers will learn together through direct experience with an assortment of high- and low-tech materials incorporating 21st-century skills into their learning.
Through our affiliation with William Paterson University's Professor in Residence Program, our students are exposed to the very best instructional practices.
Strong academics and a values-based education in a Catholic environment. Middle States accredited since 1993.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||SLD; ESL|
|Total Students||205 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Scholarships may be available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Bernadette Miglin, Principal|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Dance, Martial Arts, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBallet, Basketball,|
Dance, Martial Arts,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess and Engineering Classes Offered, Coding Club, National Junior Honor Society, STEM Engineering, Student Council, Technology Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Arts and Crafts Club, Choir, Music & Movement Lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- St. Nicholas School is a PreK-8 Catholic elementary school operated under the auspices of the Archdiocese of Newark. We are committed to preparing our students academically, spiritually, and socially to lead successful and fulfilled lives.
- The school follows the Curriculum Standards set by the Archdiocese of Newark which meets or exceed the New Jersey Student Learning Standards.
- While standardized test scores are only one measure of the strength of our program, our 2019 standardized test scores exceeded National scores in almost every category measured. Average (or mean) scores in Reading, Language, Math, Science and Social Studies in all tested grades exceed the national mean score by at least 20 percentile points.
- The class of 2020 earned over $250,000 in scholarships to local Catholic High Schools such as St. Peter's Prep, St. Dominic Academy, and Hudson Catholic H.S. In addition, our students are routinely accepted to the highly selective McNair Academic, High Tech, and County Prep High Schools.
- There are many extracurricular activities offered such as basketball, girls volleyball, track, choir, dance, Taekwondo, arts and crafts, and music and movement. In addition, Chess, Coding, and Engineering Classes are offered through a partnership with AlphaMinds Academy - Jersey City.
- Call today for a tour to discover why Saint Nicholas School has been the premier destination for education in The Heights of Jersey City for over 130 years. 201-659-5948
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Jersey City Grades: K-4 | 25 students
255 Brunswick ST
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 898-5437 0.9 K-4
- Jersey City Grades: PK-8 | 276 students
509 Pavonia Ave
Jersey City, NJ 07306
(201) 653-0128 0.8 PK-8
- Jersey City Grades: PK-8 | 421 students
248 Marin Blvd
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 434-2405 1.8 PK-8
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.