St. Stephen's Episcopal School Houston
5.00 (3 reviews)
St. Stephen's Episcopal School Houston Photo #2 - Students visit San Francisco for their annual Spring Trip.
St. Stephen's Episcopal School Houston Photo #3 - Disney's Peter Pan, JR. was this year's 2018 annual musical!
St. Stephen's Episcopal School Houston Photo #6 - Parents enjoying a silent journey through each class level and work silently with Montessori materials
St. Stephen's Episcopal School Houston Photo #7 - Lower Elementary students working in the makerspace lab.
St. Stephen's Episcopal School Houston Photo #8 - Our youngest students enjoy a petting zoo on campus.
- At St. Stephen`s Episcopal School we provide a progressive, cohesive, and globally focused education for students 15 months to 8th grade.
- Using the curricula of Montessori and International Middle Years Curriculum (IMYC), we encourage our students to become lifelong learners and effective global citizens.
- Accreditation: St. Stephen's Episcopal is accredited by the Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools, American Montessori Society, and the International Middle Years Curriculum.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
Other religious school association(s)
American Montessori Society (AMS)
State or regional independent school association
Other school association(s)
Texas Association of Accredited Private Schools (TAAPS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||227 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 39%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||41 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Advanced Courses||IB Chemistry I & II, IB English III & IV, IB Filmmaking III & IV, IB History of the Americas I & II, IB Math Studies I & II, IB Mathematics I & II, IB Spanish IV & V, IB Visual Ats III & IV, IB World Religions I & II|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 17 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Specific tuition costs are listed on our website on the Admissions page.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
|Admissions Director||Stephanie Heisler|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Indoor SoccerBasketball, Indoor Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Beta Club, Chess Club, Student Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
All School Musical, Filmmaking, Guitar, Private Acting, Private Piano, Private Voice, School Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Karate Classes, Scouts, Soccer Shots, Tennis, Yoga
- St. Stephen`s is the only school in the United States that has a combined international curriculum that includes Montessori and the International Middle Years Curriculum (IMYC). At St. Stephen`s, we have a tradition of excellence and educational leadership that offers inquisitive, inspired, and creative students a global framework for learning and engaging. Through academic success, critical thinking, spiritual growth, and creative expression we are committed to providing an educational experience that isn`t a one-size-fits-all. At St. Stephen`s, we promote understanding and respect while instilling a sense of responsibility for our interconnected world. It is our focus to aid students to not only become good learners but also good people, providing a caring community that is true of moral as well as academic learning.
- As an Episcopal school, we are populated by a rich variety of human beings, from increasingly diverse religious, cultural, and economic backgrounds. It is also a distinguishing characteristic of St. Stephen's that we seek to integrate religious and spiritual formation into the overall curriculum and life of each school community. Additionally, educational enrichment programs provide outdoor learning and team building opportunities at each grade level. While the low teacher-student ratio provides for individualized instruction and support.
- What's more, we have following offerings as an integrated part of our curriculum:
- Da Vinci Lab: Referred to nationally as Makerspaces, our Da Vinci lab provides a space for students to explore the intersection of arts, science, and technology through their own self-directed projects.
- Fine Arts: Our Fine Arts Program is fully integrated with the core curriculum and our students are provided creative outlets to express what they are learning in history, math, literature, and science.
- Travel: Global interactions enliven the learning environment and contribute to students` understanding of different cultures, the natural world and scientific exploration.
- Our commitment to a holistic education, while upholding rigorous standards, and providing a safe, respectful, and accepting environment for all students is what sets our school apart from the rest.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Houston Grades: NS-8 | 853 students
2300 Willowick Rd
Houston, TX 77027
(713)623-6938 2.3 NS-8
- Houston Grades: NS-11 | 300 students
9821 Timberside Dr.
Houston, TX 77025
(713)665-2195 4.6 NS-11
- Houston Grades: PK-8 | 128 students
1920 N Braeswood Blvd
Houston, TX 77030
(713)791-9977 2.4 PK-8
We are so happy at St. Stephen's Episcopal School. We moved to SSESH because our third grade daughter was constantly stressed by homework and exams at her previous school. The Montessori philosophy is perfect for her, and most children, I believe. She loves learning again and is flourishing. The amount of homework for my now 5th grader is less than 20 minutes per night and she usually gets it done during one of their built in free work periods. She has art, music, and Spanish twice a week and drama and Da Vince lab once a week. The Fine Arts Program at SSESH is outstanding and is helping both of my children blossom into happier and more creative and confident individuals. I love that in Montessori kids can work at their own pace and move about the classroom. There are many students that can work well above their grade level. The teachers at SSESH are the best we have ever had. They are so caring and engaged and my kids absolutely adore them. My kids already know the teachers in the advanced grade levels and this creates excitement for the future. Finally, my favorite aspect of the school is its culture. The school is "wildly creative, compassionate, and accepting." Not only are my children getting a fantastic education here, they are also becoming amazing human beings!
- Posted by Parent - Parent-EFE
I am so happy that we found St. Stephen's. Every day my children (1st grade and pre-k) come home excited about what they learned at school. The academics are superb. The students are taught broad concepts and problem solving rather than memorizing facts for a test. The lower school provides an excellent Montessori program that has allowed my children to thrive. We are very excited for the new International Middle Years Curriculum and the IB program in the High School. St. Stephen's is truly diverse and very international. Each child is proud of what makes him or her unique and interested in the differences in each other. The community is warm and open. In addition to excellent academics, St. Stephen's is committed to a vibrant fine arts, music and drama program.
- Posted by Parent - nicol
We could not be happier with St. Stephens. My son is in Primary and has been attending St. Stephens for a year. I am amazed everyday by the amount he has learned in such a short time. He has grown academically and socially. I love the diversity and the culture of the school. The parents and teachers are very down to earth in nature. I am also very impressed by the Spanish, PE, and Music curriculum as well. My son has already participated in a play and a musical program. We highly recommend St. Stephens for those considering Montessori.
- Posted by Parent - ssabh
Nearby Homes for Sale
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.