St. Stephen's Episcopal School Houston
5.00 (2 reviews)
- At St. Stephen`s Episcopal School we provide a progressive, cohesive, and globally focused education for students 15 months 8th grade. Using the curricula of Montessori and International Middle Years Curriculum (IMYC), we encourage our students to become lifelong learners and effective global citizens.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
American Montessori Society (AMS)
Other special emphasis association(s)
State or regional independent school association
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||227 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 35%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||41 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Advanced Courses||IB Chemistry I & II, IB English III & IV, IB Filmmaking III & IV, IB History of the Americas I & II, IB Math Studies I & II, IB Mathematics I & II, IB Spanish IV & V, IB Visual Ats III & IV, IB World Religions I & II|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Specific tuition costs are listed on our website on the Admissions page.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
|Admissions Director||April Lord|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||All School Musical, Beta Club, Filmmaking, Guitar, Karate Classes, Music Composition, Photography, Piano, School Choir, Scouts, Soccer Shots, Student Council, Tennis, Upper Elementary Journalism, Yearbook Beta Club, Filmmaking, Guitar, Karate Classes, Photography, Piano, School Choir, Scouts, Soccer Shots, Tennis, Yearbook, All School Musical,|
Upper Elementary Journalism,
- St. Stephen`s is the only school in the United States that has a combined international curriculum that includes Montessori and the International Middle Years Curriculum (IMYC). At St. Stephen`s, we have a tradition of excellence and educational leadership that offers inquisitive, inspired, and creative students a global framework for learning and engaging. Through academic success, critical thinking, spiritual growth, and creative expression we are committed to providing an educational experience that isn`t a one-size-fits-all. At St. Stephen`s, we promote understanding and respect while instilling a sense of responsibility for our interconnected world. It is our focus to aid students to not only become good learners but also good people, providing a caring community that is true of moral as well as academic learning.
- As an Episcopal school, we are populated by a rich variety of human beings, from increasingly diverse religious, cultural, and economic backgrounds. It is also a distinguishing characteristic of St. Stephen's that we seek to integrate religious and spiritual formation into the overall curriculum and life of each school community. Additionally, educational enrichment programs provide outdoor learning and team building opportunities at each grade level. While the low teacher-student ratio provides for individualized instruction and support.
- What's more, we have following offerings as an integrated part of our curriculum:
- Da Vinci Lab: Referred to nationally as Makerspaces, our Da Vinci lab provides a space for students to explore the intersection of arts, science, and technology through their own self-directed projects.
- Fine Arts: Our Fine Arts Program is fully integrated with the core curriculum and our students are provided creative outlets to express what they are learning in history, math, literature, and science.
- Travel: Global interactions enliven the learning environment and contribute to students` understanding of different cultures, the natural world and scientific exploration.
- Technology: With all levels using integrated technology resources, St. Stephen's is dedicated to an educational process that fosters both independent and collaborative work experiences amongst students and faculty.
- Our commitment to a holistic education, while upholding rigorous standards, and providing a safe, respectful, and accepting environment for all students is what sets our school apart from the rest.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- HoustonGrades: PK-8 | 377 students
3816 Bellaire Blvd
Houston, TX 77025
- HoustonGrades: PK-12 | 611 students
4900 Jackwood St
Houston, TX 77096
- League CityGrades: K-12 | 808 students
4800 W Main St
League City, TX 77573
- HoustonGrades: PK-12 | 583 students
Houston, TX 77096
- HoustonGrades: PK-8 | 855 students
2300 Willowick Rd
Houston, TX 77027
I am so happy that we found St. Stephen's. Every day my children (1st grade and pre-k) come home excited about what they learned at school. The academics are superb. The students are taught broad concepts and problem solving rather than memorizing facts for a test. The lower school provides an excellent Montessori program that has allowed my children to thrive. We are very excited for the new International Middle Years Curriculum and the IB program in the High School. St. Stephen's is truly diverse and very international. Each child is proud of what makes him or her unique and interested in the differences in each other. The community is warm and open. In addition to excellent academics, St. Stephen's is committed to a vibrant fine arts, music and drama program.
- Posted by Parent - nicol
We could not be happier with St. Stephens. My son is in Primary and has been attending St. Stephens for a year. I am amazed everyday by the amount he has learned in such a short time. He has grown academically and socially. I love the diversity and the culture of the school. The parents and teachers are very down to earth in nature. I am also very impressed by the Spanish, PE, and Music curriculum as well. My son has already participated in a play and a musical program. We highly recommend St. Stephens for those considering Montessori.
- Posted by Parent - ssabh
Nearby Homes for Sale
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.
September 29, 2017
Here are a dozen or so girls' schools' public thoughts about themselves and their missions.