Talcott Mountain Academy Of Science Mathematics
5.00 (6 reviews)
Tel: (860) 677-0035
- CT's premier independent school for gifted & talented students K-8, uniquely integrating liberal & fine arts into an unparalleled STEM-based curriculum. At Talcott Mountain Academy, children reach for the stars! With a hands-on approach to learning, children learn by doing - immersed in a fully-integrated curriculum where language arts is integrated and balanced with science, mathematics is related to art, and music combines with technology to synthesize new sounds for young ears.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||69 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,375|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition shown for grades K-3. Grades 4-8--$23,675. (Does not include transportation, materials or other fees.)|
|Admissions Director||Lydia Gibb|
- Talcott Mountain Academy is Connecticut`s premier independent school for gifted & talented students grades K-8. A division of the Talcott Mountain Science Center, TMA`s mission is to be a unique learning community with a robust, integrated curriculum that fosters the intellectual and creative talents of gifted students at a most critical age: a school that ignites a passion for learning and empowers children to invent their future.
- At Talcott Mountain Academy, children reach for the stars! With a hands-on approach to learning, children learn by doing - immersed in a fully-integrated curriculum where language arts is integrated and balanced with science, mathematics is related to art, and music combines with technology to synthesize new sounds for young ears.
- A school within a science center, Talcott Mountain Academy inspires young minds to ask questions, seek answers and explore new ideas. Small classes, peer-to-peer mentorship opportunities and numerous school-wide activities contribute to a close-knit community where students find acceptance and feel they belong. So much so, they often refer to Talcott as their `home away from home."
- Students quickly learn from their peers that their unique interests and talents are what make them special - they don`t need to pretend to be someone they`re not. This revelation is often the beginning of a transformational journey of self-discovery.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- West Hartford Grades: 6-12 | 518 students
170 Kingswood Road
West Hartford, CT 06119
(860) 727-5000 5.2 6-12
When my public school failed to be able to meet my gifted son's needs, Talcott stepped up to the plate! My son was learning about two grade levels ahead of his peers and Talcott has done a fantastic job at giving him the advanced education he needed.He is able to learn at a much faster pace then the public school, which held him back, and is in a very small class with lots of individual attention. The class sizes range from about 5 kids to 10. He has flourished and his love of learning has been nurtured and grown here. It was the best decision I ever made.You can tell the staff truly love teaching there. The dean is fantastic as well as all the staff! I also love that they pride themselves on not just having teachers but experts in their fields. Most of their teachers worked in private sector jobs in their specialties before teaching at Talcott and are therefore a master at their craft.My son started a foreign language in Kindergarten and learns the violin. They even do coding classes for the youngest of children. The on-site planetarium is incredible for those science lovers and I love their hands on approach to learning. They don't need to teach to the test like the public school, they teach to truly understand the topics and then use them to create and experiment! If your child is gifted or advanced this is definitley the right place for them to flourish!
- Posted by Parent - TP2
Talcott is a one-of-a-kind school. It is both academically rigorous yet incredibly nurturing. The teachers are professionals in their field, so they are able to accommodate exceptionally bright, inquisitive children who want to learn. Equally important, however, is that in this school it's cool to be smart. Kids feel free to be themselves, without judgment or ridicule. Finding a school where a child can feel accepted and comfortable in their own skin is what every parent wishes for--because they can focus all their energy on learning.
- Posted by Parent - Enza
CT's premier independent school for gifted & talented students K-8, uniquely integrating liberal & fine arts into an unparalleled STEM based curriculum
- Posted by Parent - Rhond
Talcott Mountain Academy is a unique on-site learning laboratory for intellectually excited students in which children's innate abilities are nurtured from an early age. A fully integrated curriculum provides a robust and meaningful education that fosters both the intellectual and creative abilities of gifted and talented children. Staff and students engage in scientific and educational research to find solutions to problems in an increasingly complex and technological world. They seek to develop a well-rounded, passionate student who is committed to the betterment of society.
- Posted by Parent - Rhond
"We relocated from the UK to the US, placing our boys in a highly recommended independent school. They quickly found the US curriculum not challenging whatsoever: they had previously studied the maths, and science was nothing but busy work. The boys were completely bored.TMA was our answer. The founder is an absolute educational visionary. TMA teaches to a child's capability, not an outdated curriculum. Children are not only being challenged, but they are being taught RELEVANT material, current, alive, participative, inspirational. Additionally, the TMSC Saturday programs allow our sons to "tinker" even more as TMSC Robotics team members in both the First Lego League and the Trinity College Firefighter/Robo-waiter competitions. Our boys are thrilled. As a Mom, I''m over the moon."
- Posted by Parent - Wentw
I recently took my son out of Glastonbury Public Schools to have him attend here. This school is amazing. The staff are exceptional and the location is at the top of a mountain with majestic views. Here the teachers really TEACH, not teach to a test (CMT's) as they do not waste precious time with CMT's here. The science classes are taught by actual scientists, the math by an engineer, the art by an artist. What this translates into is when someone loves a subject, and in turn teaches that subject to a student, their excitement and positivity is passed on. When the teachers love what they do, the students love to learn. Students also have time to experience the arts through 2 periods a week of art, music, any of 5 foreign languages and PE. They have recess every day K-8, not just lower grades. It is a phenomenal school. You will be hard pressed to find a dedicated faculty and staff like this anywhere else. Anyone who feels that their child deserves the best education possible, should have them attend this school. The classes are small (4-11 students) and the teachers will work with them whenever they need or want them to. Projects are done IN SCHOOL, not at home where the burden is put on the parent rather than the student. If you want the best for your child, then this is the place to go.
- Posted by Parent - tdorn
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?